By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BOLD PREDICTION: PS5 and PS5D to be $399 and $349 respectively

No way it'll be $350 and $400. There have been news stories that Sony is freakin out because of Xbox pricing, which suggests Sony was probably planning on something like $450/$500 for digital version and $550/$600 for disc version. Apparently they are slashing the price now due to Xbox so I'm guessing it'll be $400/$450 for digital version and $500 for disc version. Sounds like Sony is gonna have to take a big loss to keep it competitively priced with Xbox. They were probably back to the hubris of the PS2, where they think people will just buy the next one at any price. Luckily for consumers Microsoft gave them a rude awakening.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
DonFerrari said:

If MS makes less profit from their subs than Sony then they would have less money available from it to subsidize the console.

MS has massively more money available than Sony to do whatever they want.  But, that's not what I said, and it's not relevant in a case where both companies have sufficient access to cash to cover a reasonable subsidy.  What I said is that MS gets more of *their revenue* from subs than Sony does (which is a fact).  Therefore, it makes more business sense for MS to subsidize a console than it does for Sony.  MS is more likely than Sony to make that subsidy money up in the long run through subscriptions.

Also, I said that Sony is in a stronger position in the market right now.  More people are PS fans than XB fans.  And, all else being equal, that larger group of PS fans is more likely to choose PS over XB next gen.  Therefore, Sony has less to gain from a big subsidy.  If MS wants to pull people from the big group of PS fans to XB next gen, a big subsidy would help with that.  Sony could also pull XB users to PS with a subsidy.  But, there are a lot fewer potential people to pull over.  

MS always had more money than Sony, that never made MS burn that though. The budget of Xbox division is relevant not from whole MS.

MS may get percentually more revenue from subs than Sony, still Sony gets a lot of revenue from third party royalties and those rise with the number of consoles sold, so Sony have as much interest in selling for the lowest price possible (and considerable losses if necessary) as MS, if not more since MS can get their sub money from PC, phones and TVs in the near future.

Sure I agree that Sony have less reason due to being dominant, but they need to ensure they keep being dominant. If they go arrogant believing people will buy PS5 no matter what that may have severe consequences.

Slownenberg said:
No way it'll be $350 and $400. There have been news stories that Sony is freakin out because of Xbox pricing, which suggests Sony was probably planning on something like $450/$500 for digital version and $550/$600 for disc version. Apparently they are slashing the price now due to Xbox so I'm guessing it'll be $400/$450 for digital version and $500 for disc version. Sounds like Sony is gonna have to take a big loss to keep it competitively priced with Xbox. They were probably back to the hubris of the PS2, where they think people will just buy the next one at any price. Luckily for consumers Microsoft gave them a rude awakening.

Yes, I bet those were very trusthworthy sources, like the ones that PS5 were burning in the factories.

But please give your sources and explanation on how or why Sony would be freaking with a price point that even we in VGC have been predicting for over 6 months.

Series S was always predicted about 299 to be budget sensitive with Series X going from as little as 499 with loss, 550 near break even and 599 at most if they gone for premium approach.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Slownenberg said:

Who said they were freaking out?

I seen rumors that they were adjusting plans based on Microsofts announcement.

How do you know they weren't planning on $349.99 / $399.99, and now they are adjusting to $349.99 / $449.99?

Really at this point it is just different levels of how much Sony wants to sting Microsoft. They will easily outsell XBS at $399 / $499, and be profiting on the Disk model and taking a very small lose on the Digital model.

If they want to give the PS5 a little token for the fence sitters, then they can put the Disk version out at $449, and take a small loss per unit, and keep the Digital model at $399.

Dig a little deeper and they could go $349 Digital and $449 Disk. This does both the S and X dirty, and would basically give Sony a similar price mic drop moment going into next gen that they had with PS1 and PS4.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Slownenberg said:

Please or would do well to stay away from such dubious sources. How are they supposed to know what sony is thinking with regards to the pricing? Who or where are these sources? Same sources that say sony PS5 can't handle 4K? The same sources that said PS5 wouldn't come with RT? Same sources that said PS5 is delayed till 2021? The same source that says sony did a last-minute upclock of their GPU to come close to XSX performance and is now overheating as a result?

Or wait... are you your own source? Sure sounds that way. :)

KBG29 said:

Who said they were freaking out?

I seen rumors that they were adjusting plans based on Microsofts announcement.

How do you know they weren't planning on $349.99 / $399.99, and now they are adjusting to $349.99 / $449.99?

Really at this point it is just different levels of how much Sony wants to sting Microsoft. They will easily outsell XBS at $399 / $499, and be profiting on the Disk model and taking a very small lose on the Digital model.

If they want to give the PS5 a little token for the fence sitters, then they can put the Disk version out at $449, and take a small loss per unit, and keep the Digital model at $399.

Dig a little deeper and they could go $349 Digital and $449 Disk. This does both the S and X dirty, and would basically give Sony a similar price mic drop moment going into next gen that they had with PS1 and PS4.

I wouldn't bother.. having read his stuff again he sounds suspect lol.

On a flip side, their price is most probably going to be $399/$499. But it feels good to make predictions that have a less than 5% chance of happening lol. As many have said, even if sony could do it, there is just no reason for them to go under $399. Hell if they did that MS would likely win an antitrust suit against them lol. A $350 and $399 PS5 kills Xbox. Period.

Around the Network

haha wow got some Sony fanboys on here. I state how sources are saying Sony is freaking out about Xbox prices and that Sony is now slashing their planned price and you all start claiming no sources can no what Sony is doing and clearly they are unreliable and maybe Sony is actually making the prices higher haha, even though thats the opposite of what the reports say.

No need to get defensive that Sony got caught off guard and has to slash their launch price to get it on par with Microsoft people. I don't get why you'd get all defensive over that, do you guys really have an emotional stake in the fact that Sony has to adjust their price because Microsoft came in lower than they thought they would? That's weird. Sony probably just thought they were safe with having the cheaper launch system because Xbox is more powerful, and now they are cutting the price so that Microsoft can't say they have the most powerful system AND its cheaper.

User was Warned for this Post - cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 13 September 2020

Intrinsic said:
Slownenberg said:

Please or would do well to stay away from such dubious sources. How are they supposed to know what sony is thinking with regards to the pricing? Who or where are these sources? Same sources that say sony PS5 can't handle 4K? The same sources that said PS5 wouldn't come with RT? Same sources that said PS5 is delayed till 2021? The same source that says sony did a last-minute upclock of their GPU to come close to XSX performance and is now overheating as a result?

Given your own estimates of of BOM which you then constructed the base estimate and thread on , seems unfair to target his sources.

You should have just ignored him. 

I actually kinda hope not only because $349 and $399 wouldn't even be a competition. Nothing would change in terms of sales from this gen, other than SNY potentially gaining even more sales.

The disc PS5 for $399 would be just amazing, seemingly saving $100 for everyone's wallet or put towards their game collection, but in terms of the console war, the battle would be much closer to Monty Python And The Holy Grail vs LOTR 2 or 3.

ironmanDX said:
Intrinsic said:

Given your own estimates of of BOM which you then constructed the base estimate and thread on , seems unfair to target his sources.

You should have just ignored him. 

Errrr... this is a prediction thread. And everything or conclusion I arrived at is purely based on conjecture and I have never claimed anything to be as "fact".

And my "own" estimates of BOM aren't even in line with the supposed rumors for what the BOM is. Those rumors suggest a BOM of $450, my estimates land at around $436.

He on the other hand is flat out presenting lies as fact. He is literally trolling. And the funny thing about it is that people that always go on the offensive calling ppl fanboys for disagreeing with them or calling them out and then playing that I don't care and you guys are emotionally invested in shit are always the ones actually emotionally invested.

But you are right, I should have ignored him.

Slownenberg said:

haha wow got some Sony fanboys on here. I state how sources are saying Sony is freaking out about Xbox prices and that Sony is now slashing their planned price and you all start claiming no sources can no what Sony is doing and clearly they are unreliable and maybe Sony is actually making the prices higher haha, even though thats the opposite of what the reports say.

No need to get defensive that Sony got caught off guard and has to slash their launch price to get it on par with Microsoft people. I don't get why you'd get all defensive over that, do you guys really have an emotional stake in the fact that Sony has to adjust their price because Microsoft came in lower than they thought they would? That's weird. Sony probably just thought they were safe with having the cheaper launch system because Xbox is more powerful, and now they are cutting the price so that Microsoft can't say they have the most powerful system AND its cheaper.

Several folks asked you to share your sources and you still haven't done so. You either don't have them or don't care enough to share them. However, you took the time to make this really biased post, so you certainly care enough to respond...

Time to put up or shut up.