By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BOLD PREDICTION: PS5 and PS5D to be $399 and $349 respectively

400 & 350€ is possible

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

haha wow got some Sony fanboys on here. I state how sources are saying Sony is freaking out about Xbox prices and that Sony is now slashing their planned price and you all start claiming no sources can no what Sony is doing and clearly they are unreliable and maybe Sony is actually making the prices higher haha, even though thats the opposite of what the reports say.

No need to get defensive that Sony got caught off guard and has to slash their launch price to get it on par with Microsoft people. I don't get why you'd get all defensive over that, do you guys really have an emotional stake in the fact that Sony has to adjust their price because Microsoft came in lower than they thought they would? That's weird. Sony probably just thought they were safe with having the cheaper launch system because Xbox is more powerful, and now they are cutting the price so that Microsoft can't say they have the most powerful system AND its cheaper.

So are you claiming your post was a baiting and you got your bites?

What I saw was people (including myself) asking for this so called sources, and you didn't present. You just resorted to attack.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:

PS5 is $500, always was.

You should probably post your official source about BOM, also why Sony would not include everything else required to develop a console (R&D, production cost, licencing for some technologies used, etc..) and finally the $500 price that always was 500$  (sorry missed that official announcement). This thread makes no sense, let's stop talking about prediction.

If you say so, must be true, my bad :)

BraLoD said:
Slownenberg said:

haha wow got some Sony fanboys on here. I state how sources are saying Sony is freaking out about Xbox prices and that Sony is now slashing their planned price and you all start claiming no sources can no what Sony is doing and clearly they are unreliable and maybe Sony is actually making the prices higher haha, even though thats the opposite of what the reports say.

No need to get defensive that Sony got caught off guard and has to slash their launch price to get it on par with Microsoft people. I don't get why you'd get all defensive over that, do you guys really have an emotional stake in the fact that Sony has to adjust their price because Microsoft came in lower than they thought they would? That's weird. Sony probably just thought they were safe with having the cheaper launch system because Xbox is more powerful, and now they are cutting the price so that Microsoft can't say they have the most powerful system AND its cheaper.

Yes, Sony is slashing an imaginary price they never announced because some of the people that are wrong or fake 95% of the time said so, even better, to react to Microsoft early announcement that only happened this week because they got data stolen and where forced to release it now.

Sony sure is having nightmares on not being able to sell a console which BOM is $450 for more than $500 when they were selling the PS4 for $400, which had a BOM of $380.

Sony, the market leader with nearly triple the current sales of it's direct competitor, is always waiting for what MS does to do anything to not look bad in comparision, they really just don't have plans and are willing to make up things on the fly and out of desperation because MS is forcing them to.

Your post makes a lot of sense, please, keep posting more.

We have had numerous industry sources say Sony is struggling with the price. They wanted a cheaper price but component prices were too high. If they were so sure, they would have announced it by now. The system is to launch this year and they only have about a month to do it.

What was probably happening is Sony didn't want to be the first to announce the price because they always try to undercut the competition. This is why Sony and Microsoft played chicken with the price until Microsoft took the initiative to announce it (after it leaked). This is also why there is a cheaper smaller system to prevent Sony from really doing that. Again, if Sony was so confident, we'd have a price by now. 

Also, "market leader" doesn't matter because this changes constantly. Microsoft could be the market leader soon. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:

You should probably post your official source about BOM, also why Sony would not include everything else required to develop a console (R&D, production cost, licencing for some technologies used, etc..) and finally the $500 price that always was 500$  (sorry missed that official announcement). This thread makes no sense, let's stop talking about prediction.

The bolded part... it just doesn't work that way. At least not anymore. This isn't like back in the PS1/PS2 era when every single component that goes into a console is custom-built. Now, the APU comes from and is based on AMD technology, the SSD controller is based on Physon tech, RAM comes from Samsung/Micron, NAND flash from micron/Samsung... Sony/MS aren't spending the proverbial "billions" in R&D, they are just making custom orders for certain components from established OEM suppliers with slight customizations. 

As for the cost or pricing, you need to just look at the costs of the components, you can literally see the exact type of RAM MS is using based on its model number from Samsung on their website, and with a little more digging you can see what it would cost and average OEM to acquire it. This is how we knew before XSX specs were officially released this year that MS was using a mix RAM (2GB and 1GB chips) from that teaser video they did last year. This is why some of us predicted since 2019 that these next-gen consoles would be using SSDs. I honestly don't know why people seem to think that BOM of these devices in the modern day is some exorbitantly high thing. It really isn't...

The best thing I can do is point you to look at Nvidia's upcoming RTX3070 $500 GPU. And remember that unlike consoles, things like GPUs are sold with a very high mark up, because once Nvidia makes that sale they have no more business with that customer. So they have to make their BOM + Profit + retailer cut all from that one sale. If you see any consumer electronics like that on a shelf? just know that the BOM for that product is AT LEAST, half of whatever its MSRP is.

VideoGameAccountant said:

We have had numerous industry sources say Sony is struggling with the price. They wanted a cheaper price but component prices were too high. If they were so sure, they would have announced it by now. The system is to launch this year and they only have about a month to do it.

What was probably happening is Sony didn't want to be the first to announce the price because they always try to undercut the competition. This is why Sony and Microsoft played chicken with the price until Microsoft took the initiative to announce it (after it leaked). This is also why there is a cheaper smaller system to prevent Sony from really doing that. Again, if Sony was so confident, we'd have a price by now. 

Also, "market leader" doesn't matter because this changes constantly. Microsoft could be the market leader soon. 

That's interesting...

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 13 September 2020

BraLoD said:
Imaginedvl said:

You should probably post your official source about BOM, also why Sony would not include everything else required to develop a console (R&D, production cost, licensing for some technologies used, etc..) and finally the $500 price that always was 500$  (sorry missed that official announcement). This thread makes no sense, let's stop talking about prediction.

Feel free to ask google for it the manufacturing cost.

About it being $500, just wait until Sep 16th.

You know the official price cause of a date in the future? 

Alright, thank you, I think this answer all my questions :)

Imaginedvl said:
BraLoD said:

Feel free to ask google for it the manufacturing cost.

About it being $500, just wait until Sep 16th.

Come on man... its not rocket science really. Its called an educated guess.

We know how much it ost sony to make te PS4 in 2013. We know how much most these components cost. 

We also know that the prices sony or MS gets for these components are much lower than what other OEMs may even get based on the quantities they would order.

We have Bloomberg (pretty much the best source out there especially when compared to all the other leakers) that has earmarked a BOM of $450 for the PS5. And the article reads that it's even only that high because of difficulties in acquiring enough RAMand flash chips, that was in February 2020, more recently (and this came after sony upped PS5 shipments from6M to 10M for the fiscal year, we have learned that nand and flash prices have dropped due to reduced demand from a fall in smartphone sales. That suggests the BOMis ow going to be even lower than $450.

Its not really hard at all to discern how much these things cost if you just do some research yourself. And sony has NEVER sold any console at a profit, they always sell at a loss. The PS4, with a BOM of $380, and an MSRP was still sold at a loss of around $40. Meaning that between the retailer cut and taxes the real cost of the PS4 to sony was $380 + $60. And that's why the article even says that even with a BOM of $450 sony would have to sell for at least $470.

If we take that as gospel, (even though I believe it will bless than that)it is easy to see how sony could take the $450 PS5(disc sku) with a real cost of $470 and sell it for $499. Making a profit of $30. Then take the $415 PS5 (digital sku) with a real cost of $435, and sell that at $399, using the profit the gain from the dis sku to offset the loss on the digital sku...

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 13 September 2020

Intrinsic said:
Imaginedvl said:

Come on man... its not rocket science really. Its called an educated guess.

We know how much it ost sony to make te PS4 in 2013. We know how much most these components cost. 

We also know that the prices sony or MS gets for these components are much lower than what other OEMs may even get based on the quantities they would order.

We have Bloomberg (pretty much the best source out there especially when compared to all the other leakers) that has earmarked a BOM of $450 for the PS5. And the article reads that it's even only that high because of difficulties in acquiring enough RAMand flash chips, that was in February 2020, more recently (and this came after sony upped PS5 shipments from6M to 10M for the fiscal year, we have learned that nand and flash prices have dropped due to reduced demand from a fall in smartphone sales. That suggests the BOMis ow going to be even lower than $450.

Its not really hard at all to discern how much these things cost f you just do some research yourself. And sony has NEVER sold any console ver at a profit, they always sell at a loss. The PS4, with a BOM of $380, and an MSRP was still sold at a loss of around $40. Meaning that between the retailer ut and taxes the real cost of the PS4 to sony was $380 + $60. And that's why the article even says that even with a BOM of $450 sony would have to sell for at least $470.

That's all it is: A guess based on what we know only (I saw your reply about other costs, I still think you are off believing those do not matter but there is not point arguing on that as we really do not know). We will see on Wednesday hopefully if it was the right one or not.

Now that's different than this guy pretending he "knows" the price for a fact and then point out to the future as a "reference" when asked how it got that; come on, don't tell me you are defending this lol At least while not agreeing you are coming up with some substance to make your points :)

Imaginedvl said:

That's all it is: A guess based on what we know only (I saw your reply about other costs, I still think you are off believing those do not matter but there is not point arguing on that as we really do not know). We will see on Wednesday hopefully if it was the right one or not.

Now that's different than this guy pretending he "knows" the price for a fact and then point out to the future as a "reference" when asked how it got that; come on, don't tell me you are defending this lol At least while not agreeing you are coming up with some substance to make your points 

Nope, not defending it. I don't know the price, I am sure he doesn't know the price either. But I can understand why he's is convinced the price would land at what he is saying it would.

Hell, I even thin that's where the price would land at but made this "bold prediction" thread anyways for fun and to give my admittedly excessive optimism a stage. But with all we know, the most logical price point for the PS5 (standard and digital) is between $399 and $499. Though I have a feeling sony is gonna surprise us... but that's just a feeling, and means absolutely nothing.

For my bold prediction theory to work, the BOMis going to have to be lower than $450. Sony is going to have to be willing to take a loss of up to $80/unit on average and sony has to have the supply to meet the kinda demand my pricing would create. It's truly highly unlikely.