By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Staff Writers Wanted: Deadline September 18, 2020 [Applications Closed]

Tagged games:

Bring back Signalstar. The most honest and one of the most prolific reviewers this site ever had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Machina said:
Nautilus said:

Ire? It's not ire Machina, not really an attack.

It's more of an observation. Just felt that sentence was written poorly and felt out of place, that's all. I bear no ill against anyone here.

Poorly written maybe, I'm in no place to judge that, but it's not out of place. Scoring is a major part of game reviews (I think that's proved by the discussions that have dominated this thread alone) and I think it's important to make our requirements regarding them clear from the start. 

Let's agree to disagree then. I don't mean to derail this thread even further, nor do I want to have this kind of discussion with you, that I do admire.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Machina said:
Signalstar said:
Bring back Signalstar. The most honest and one of the most prolific reviewers this site ever had!

I checked recently and you're the 3rd most prolific of all time still.

@Veknoid_Outcast and @Torillian are the only ones who've written more.

1) Who is @Veknoid_Outcast?

2) Big deal. At least I still have the record for most viewed review/article of all time. https://www.vgchartz.com/article/257354/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/

If you say it is because the counter was broken again I will come to the UK and hit you!

Machina said:
Nautilus said:

Ire? It's not ire Machina, not really an attack.

It's more of an observation. Just felt that sentence was written poorly and felt out of place, that's all. I bear no ill against anyone here.

Poorly written maybe, I'm in no place to judge that, but it's not out of place. Scoring is a major part of game reviews (I think that's proved by the discussions that have dominated this thread alone) and I think it's important to make our requirements regarding them clear from the start. 

JWeinCom said:

Then that's half of the problem solved. I'd say then that changing what an "8" on the scale means would be the other half. Having that much of the scale devoted to GOTY contenders doesn't really make sense considering how few their should be... Especially considering that this doesn't seem to be the way the scale is being used. I mean... I like DMC3 and Clubhouse games as much as the next guy, but do you guys really foresee either one being named GOTY?

GotY in this context isn't limited to Overall GotY, it includes genre categories. So yes, the individuals who reviewed those games really did consider them contenders for their genres at the very least (although DMC3 isn't technically eligible for anything in this year's GotY Awards).

"Each a viable candidate for game-of-the-year, games earning an 8 come highly recommended. Superior across the board."

Eh... that's clearly not what it says. Game of the year obviously means game of the year. If something else is meant, then it should be updated to better reflect that.

Machina said:
JWeinCom said:

"Each a viable candidate for game-of-the-year, games earning an 8 come highly recommended. Superior across the board."

Eh... that's clearly not what it says. Game of the year obviously means game of the year. If something else is meant, then it should be updated to better reflect that.

I agree it's not entirely clear and we should probably reword it, but it does include all of our category Game of the Year awards (so Racer, RPG, Shooter, etc.), not just our Overall one. This was made clear to the review team a while back when it came up in discussions, it's not just something I'm making up right now because it's convenient.

I'm not accusing anyone of dishonesty. But I think pretty much everyone reading that sentence would come to the conclusion I did.

Around the Network
Machina said:
Signalstar said:

Looking at the list of reviews for Evan it would seem I'm no longer the most prolific. Will have to take that section off my CV I guess. 

edit: checked in excel out of curiosity and I've got 170 to Evan's 270 so definitely been dethroned. 

I thought you were closer at one point, Craig? Thought we were vying for the top spot at some point but maybe I'm misremembering. 

Torillian said:
Machina said:

Looking at the list of reviews for Evan it would seem I'm no longer the most prolific. Will have to take that section off my CV I guess. 

Or you could stop being a b*tch and get back to reviewing games to reclaim your crown.

Signalstar said:
Torillian said:

Or you could stop being a b*tch and get back to reviewing games to reclaim your crown.

As my edit suggests, there's a pretty wide gap. Maybe when I finally get out of postdoc hell, but I don't think I'll ever have the kind of free time that I did as a single graduate student.

Torillian said:
Signalstar said:

As my edit suggests, there's a pretty wide gap. Maybe when I finally get out of postdoc hell, but I don't think I'll ever have the kind of free time that I did as a single graduate student.

Sure, blame it on the wife, kid, and post-doctorate career responsibilities...JRPGs aren't going to review themselves.

I'm a single graduate student now and I don't have any time to review games anymore.

kirby007 said:

Fun fact I got my very first ban for making fun of a review done by ssj12
I need fresh meat

ssj12 tried to convince me that "an toaster oven" was grammatically correct while "a toaster oven" was not.  A worthy first ban that showed you were destined for greatness.