By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows Central: XSX: $499, XSS: $299 coming November 10th

Signalstar said:
d21lewis said:
Well, fuck.
I wasn't too big on either next system gen at all. Definitely wasn't planning on buying a console on day one because I just don't see any software that justifies it. I may have to pick up an Xbox if I see one in the wild. The price is about what I expected (the S is MUCH lower) and the finance option is interesting...

Oh please...

We all know you will have 5 new Xbox consoles by next holiday, including one for your bathroom and kitchen.

😂 All it takes is one moment of weakness!



Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

Oh goodness ! So they actually went with the 2 SKU tactics in the end with a bundled service offer to entice people over to their platform and the prices are seriously not too shabby ... So far, if you forget the fiasco surrounding the release launch of their games. It seems we might get an actual matchup between Microsoft and Sony this new gen ....

At least in America. Europe and Asia are taken by defacto.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

So it looks like an Xbox One All digital with an asteroid hole? Interesting



Ljink96 said:
This would be the perfect opportunity for Sony to drop by and drop a $399 price for PS5, and $299 for Digital. I wonder if they'll do it.

You do realize how much money they would lose at those prices, right? The bill of materials for PS5 is rumored to be in the upper $400's range, with Sony possibly still losing some money selling PS5 at $500 after the cost of shipping and the retailer cut is factored in. But for the purposes of illustration, let's say they break even selling at $500. That'd be a $100 loss per console selling the disc drive version at $400, say they sell 5m of them before costs start to go down, that is $500m lost. Digital PS5 meanwhile saves them about $20 on the disc-drive, so they'd be selling a $180 loss at $300, say they sell 20m at that price before costs start to go down, that is a $3.6b loss. Sure they can offset some of that loss with the increased profit margin on digital games and subscriptions, but that's still alot of money lost even then.

Far more likely we will get either $500 disc drive/$400 digital or $500 disc drive/$450 digital imo.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 08 September 2020

shikamaru317 said:
Ljink96 said:
This would be the perfect opportunity for Sony to drop by and drop a $399 price for PS5, and $299 for Digital. I wonder if they'll do it.

You do realize how much money they would lose at those prices, right? The bill of materials for PS5 is rumored to be in the upper $400's range, with Sony possibly still losing some money selling PS5 at $500 after the cost of shipping and the retailer cut is factored in. But for the purposes of illustration, let's say they break even selling at $500. That'd be a $100 loss per console selling the disc drive version at $400, say they sell 5m of them before costs start to go down, that is $500m lost. Digital PS5 meanwhile saves them about $20 on the disc-drive and maybe $10 on the SSD, so they'd be selling a $170 loss at $300, say they sell 20m at that price before costs start to go down, that is a $3.4b loss. Sure they can offset some of that loss with the increased profit margin on digital games and subscriptions, but that's still alot of money lost even then.

Far more likely we will get either $500 disc drive/$400 digital or $500 disc drive/$450 digital imo.

My comment is solely based off of how vicious Sony is regarding hardware pricing, sans PS3 of course. I think they want to undercut Xbox even if the losses will be great. Let's just wait and see what happens. I'm not an insider, just thought this would be interesting and if they'd consider doing that. Of course this all relies on how much of a loss Sony wants to take. But like Trunkswd said, a digital at $399 does seem more feasible if Sony wants to keep a $399 system on the market.



Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

My comment is solely based off of how vicious Sony is regarding hardware pricing, sans PS3 of course. I think they want to undercut Xbox even if the losses will be great. Let's just wait and see what happens. I'm not an insider, just thought this would be interesting and if they'd consider doing that. Of course this all relies on how much of a loss Sony wants to take. But like Trunkswd said, a digital at $399 does seem more feasible if Sony wants to keep a $399 system on the market.

Sony had other cash cows back in the day and wanted to promote their optical media with PlayStation. Very different situation.

Maaaybe the digital will be $399 if they're feeling specially generous, anything lower seems just unrealistic.



 

 

 

 

 

haxxiy said:
Ljink96 said:

My comment is solely based off of how vicious Sony is regarding hardware pricing, sans PS3 of course. I think they want to undercut Xbox even if the losses will be great. Let's just wait and see what happens. I'm not an insider, just thought this would be interesting and if they'd consider doing that. Of course this all relies on how much of a loss Sony wants to take. But like Trunkswd said, a digital at $399 does seem more feasible if Sony wants to keep a $399 system on the market.

Sony had other cash cows back in the day and wanted to promote their optical media with PlayStation. Very different situation.

Maaaybe the digital will be $399 if they're feeling specially generous, anything lower seems just unrealistic.

Well, even with the PS4 they undercut Microsoft. But I maintain that I feel Sony wants a 400 dollar system to remain on the market while PS4 Pro drops from $399. I think we're seeing Sony wanting to branch out into more homes, and I don't think more expensive is how you do that. They've been down that route before. $399 is that sweet spot for Sony and one way or another I think they're going to hit it. 



Ljink96 said:
haxxiy said:

Sony had other cash cows back in the day and wanted to promote their optical media with PlayStation. Very different situation.

Maaaybe the digital will be $399 if they're feeling specially generous, anything lower seems just unrealistic.

Well, even with the PS4 they undercut Microsoft. But I maintain that I feel Sony wants a 400 dollar system to remain on the market while PS4 Pro drops from $399. I think we're seeing Sony wanting to branch out into more homes, and I don't think more expensive is how you do that. They've been down that route before. $399 is that sweet spot for Sony and one way or another I think they're going to hit it. 

You can't say Microsoft didn't make it easy by selling a console with a mobile CPU and a low end Radeon 7700 GPU for $499. It was less of an undercut than the Xbox division basically knocking themselves out of the game. After all, Sony themselves had aimed for budget hardware with the PS4.



 

 

 

 

 

haxxiy said:
Ljink96 said:

Well, even with the PS4 they undercut Microsoft. But I maintain that I feel Sony wants a 400 dollar system to remain on the market while PS4 Pro drops from $399. I think we're seeing Sony wanting to branch out into more homes, and I don't think more expensive is how you do that. They've been down that route before. $399 is that sweet spot for Sony and one way or another I think they're going to hit it. 

You can't say Microsoft didn't make it easy by selling a console with a mobile CPU and a low end Radeon 7700 GPU for $499. It was less of an undercut than the Xbox division basically knocking themselves out of the game. After all, Sony themselves had aimed for budget hardware with the PS4.

Yeah, the Kinect didn't help either. But we'll see. I think they'll surprise us. 



Mar1217 said:
Oh goodness ! So they actually went with the 2 SKU tactics in the end with a bundled service offer to entice people over to their platform and the prices are seriously not too shabby ... So far, if you forget the fiasco surrounding the release launch of their games. It seems we might get an actual matchup between Microsoft and Sony this new gen ....

At least in America. Europe and Asia are taken by defacto.

South America is also partial to Xbox, especially at this price point. The “new world” will be Xbox territory 



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.