By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct

The_Liquid_Laser said:

To add to this discussion, I just want to say 1) I do think Nintendo has at least one more first party game for this year and 2) I doubt it is Breath of the Wild 2.

The reason is that this is the most I've ever seen Nintendo celebrate a Mario Anniversary year.  For example, what did they do for the 25th Anniversary, 2010?  They released Mario Galaxy 2 and also 25th anniversary collection which was just a SNES port of Mario All Stars.  That 25th anniversary collection really required zero work, even less than this 3D collection coming this year.  This year we're getting the things from this video plus Paper Mario.  That is actually a whole lot of Mario in one year.  I've never seen Nintendo treat an anniversary year with so much fanfare.  I don't know if this is a reflection of Furukawa's leadership or not, but whatever the reason Nintendo is putting a lot more attention into celebrating this Mario Anniversary.

Next year is Zelda's 35th anniversary, and Nintendo has already been heavily pushing Zelda on Switch with the huge success of BotW (Link's Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Hyrule Warriors, etc...).  At this point I'm expecting Nintendo to have some sort of Zelda Direct next year that is kind of like this Mario Direct.  If they are focusing so much on Mario this year, then I'd expect them to give Zelda similar treatment next year.

Skyward Sword HD, baby! Let's go!

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:

I do agree that BOTW2 is a possibility for Q4 now. I know it seems unlikely because we've seen almost nothing of it, but there's no way there isn't something big coming for November if they didn't slot either All Stars or 3DWorld/Bowser's Fury there. And a game like BOTW2 that was announced a long time ago and has already been in development for years seems more likely to me than something we've never even heard about. My theory is they've held off showing anything because they weren't sure after COVID if it was gonna be able to get finished in time for this year, and were likely saving All Stars as their backup holiday game just in case. Hence why we're only officially finding out about All Stars 2 weeks before launch. I could see that meaning that they know now that BOTW2 will for sure be ready and we'll get the announcement and probably a whole direct dedicated to it within the month. I think it makes more sense than some huge game we've never even heard about being ready for release in a couple months.It also makes sense that BOTW2 would have always been slated for holiday 2020 so that they'd have something to compete with the PS5/XSX launches, and COVID was the only thing ever putting its release date in question. 

Yeah exactly. Since Covid started launch dates have probably been in flux and Nintendo wanted to make sure they have big holiday title(s) ready for the holiday before they announce other things like Mario Collection and Mario 3D World that could fill in as the holiday titles if their major title(s) got pushed back due to Covid. That is completely reasonable. I view the Mario Collection and 3D World launch dates as confirmation that they've got something big coming out for the holidays and the most obvious game is BotW2.

Also it's cool that the Switch is now the ultimate Mario playing system. By February every mainline Mario console platformer other than NSMB Wii and Galaxy 2 will be on the Switch. And I don't think anyone care about NSMB Wii get re-released, so the only glaring missing game is Galaxy 2, and I will never understand why they didn't add it to this collection. The only thing I could think is either they are remaking it instead of making another brand new 3D Mario game on Switch, which I feel would be dumb because Wii graphics in HD look good enough, like it would make much more sense to remake 64 which would be a huge graphical update rather than Galaxy 2, so I don't think that's gonna happen. So maybe they are just gonna be jerks and give us every old Mario game except the one most people consider the best one, or they are gonna be jerks and release it slightly remastered for like $60 by itself in the future.

As a side note, with the Zelda 35th anniversary coming up next year, I'm hoping they'll follow suit and we'll get a OoT, MM, WW HD Collection and then maybe TP an SS remastered sold each on their own or something like that. I'd be all about an OoT/MM/WW HD Collection. Really all I want is WW cuz I only played the beginning of that game on the GC but it seemed really cool, and I wasn't a huge fan of TP and don't really care about trying SS, but I never did beat MM either so I wouldn't mind playing through it, and of course having OoT available to play through again would be a treat as well. If they have a big Zelda 35th anniversary planned I think it makes it even more likely we'll get BotW2 this holiday season, because they wouldn't want to put a brand new Zelda game against a ton of other Zelda games, cuz people aren't gonna buy multiple Zelda games at once, so they'll want a different launch period for BotW2.

More news on the 3D World port. Apparently the characters have been tweaked to move significantly faster compared to the Wii U version, and the file size is about triple what it was on the Wii U version.

Haven't gotten through any comments on this thread yet, but I feel like this is the laziest way for Nintendo to release this compilation. Man I was expecting some quality of life improvements at the very least. It was wishful thinking to think they would actually give Mario 64 new assets. It could have been a big system seller this holiday if they were actual remakes and not straight up ports. I am also disappointed that the best game isn't included (Galaxy 2).... AND its limited??? WTF?!?

I'm sorry to all Nintendo fans wanting new content, because I am one of those suckers who will buy the same game over and over. I have it preordered...

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Haven't gotten through any comments on this thread yet, but I feel like this is the laziest way for Nintendo to release this compilation. Man I was expecting some quality of life improvements at the very least. It was wishful thinking to think they would actually give Mario 64 new assets. It could have been a big system seller this holiday if they were actual remakes and not straight up ports. I am also disappointed that the best game isn't included (Galaxy 2).... AND its limited??? WTF?!?

I'm sorry to all Nintendo fans wanting new content, because I am one of those suckers who will buy the same game over and over. I have it preordered...

Nintendo is just flexing how good 3D World is. 

Around the Network

Can someone explain what is that Mario Kart thing they announced. Is it new game or some amiibo type nonsense?

Thanks.

green_sky said:
Can someone explain what is that Mario Kart thing they announced. Is it new game or some amiibo type nonsense?

Thanks.

Yeah I don't know either. It looks like a fun time to have with the kids, but I hope its not that rumored holiday title that has "tires" in it lol.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone really wanted remakes, because if they remade each game they'd be selling at $60 each, so if they did all four, you'd have to pay $240 for the "collection".

I much prefer them just be HD ports in a $60 collection. Actual remasters with some small enhancements and improvements would have been nice but knowing Nintendo I didn't expect it. If it were one game it'd be expected, but for multiple games no.

But yeah no Galaxy 2 and only a limited time offering are truly WTF decisions. They intentionally made a non-complete collection, and then decided to only sell it for 6 months...it's like they really don't want to maximize their profits or their customer good will. Does Nintendo hate Galaxy 2 or something?! Why is it the only console Mario game (other than NSMBWii) that isn't being offered on the system?! At the very least they could have been like hey we decided four games for $60 is too good a deal, and released Galaxy 2 by itself for like $25 or something. It makes no sense that it is just missing entirely when Galaxy 1 is included.

FarleyMcFirefly said:
green_sky said:

Thanks.

Yeah I don't know either. It looks like a fun time to have with the kids, but I hope its not that rumored holiday title that has "tires" in it lol.

I feel like its pretty obvious that it is the rumored game with "tires" in it. Some people expected MK9, but that was never realistic since Switch already has MK8D and its selling insanely well. This game literally has tires in it, because its a physical toy, so yeah this is totally what that rumored game was.

I think it's a super cool piece of tech and an interesting game. Kinda in the vein of Labo, in terms of outside the box thinking for new ways to play games. Like Labo, I expect it to mostly appeal to kids and to be a fairly niche product, selling 2 million would be considered a success I think, just like Labo.

FarleyMcFirefly said:
green_sky said:

Thanks.

Fun with the kids ? Come on, I can’t wait to chase my "too easy to scare" cat around my living room !