By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2020: Switch 504k, PS4 197k, XBO 45k

All hardware is selling out because of COVID. PS4 and XB1 aren't affected by Animal Crossing yet they all jumped by near similar amounts (percentage) at the same time in March. Lock downs started in mid March and that directly caused all hardware to sell out because people have nothing else to do. This is what happened in 2009 with the 2008 Recession. Video games gets boosted in times like this. The only reason PS4 and XB1 aren't selling more is because they are producing fewer units than years before and were not expected to sell this much at this point in the year.

Animal Crossing could not have come out and Switch would still be selling the same as it is now.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Around the Network
Welfare said:
All hardware is selling out because of COVID. PS4 and XB1 aren't affected by Animal Crossing yet they all jumped by near similar amounts (percentage) at the same time in March. Lock downs started in mid March and that directly caused all hardware to sell out because people have nothing else to do. This is what happened in 2009 with the 2008 Recession. Video games gets boosted in times like this. The only reason PS4 and XB1 aren't selling more is because they are producing fewer units than years before and were not expected to sell this much at this point in the year.

Animal Crossing could not have come out and Switch would still be selling the same as it is now.

Except they aren't.  I can readily & easily purchase a PS4 or an XBox One in the US right now, but I cannot do the same for a Nintendo Switch console, unless I want to pay a scalper on Amazon or Walmart.

Here's Best Buys console results for example:

Model: HADSKABAA

SKU: 6364255
$299.9

SOLD OUT

Model: HADSKAAAA

SKU: 6364253
$299.99
SOLD OUT
See More Options
Model: 234-00001

SKU: 6415222
$299.99
ADD TO CART
Model: 3002337

SKU: 5850905
$299.99
ADD TO CART

I always dreamed of a system like the Switch. Glad it's doing well. Haven't bought one yet though. I hope more companies see the potential for such products. I wish for Sony to gain some confidence and try again in this market.

Nintendo has yet to play the strongest card and that's a price reduction for the base switch. It's kinda pointless to reduce the console price right now if Nintendo is still struggling to replenish the stock at retailers across the globe.

Welfare said:
PS4 and XB1 aren't affected by Animal Crossing yet they all jumped by near similar amounts (percentage) at the same time in March.
(snip)

Exactly this.

I don't know why it's forbidden to include Switch when pointing out how much the pandemic has boosted console sales. It doesn't take anything away from its success. Nor does it take anything away from Animal Crossing. Shadow also emphasizes that the boost is a "one-two punch of AC and the pandemic".

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Welfare said:

Except they aren't.  I can readily & easily purchase a PS4 or an XBox One in the US right now, but I cannot do the same for a Nintendo Switch console, unless I want to pay a scalper on Amazon or Walmart.

$299.9

SOLD OUT

$299.99
SOLD OUT
See More Options

$299.99
ADD TO CART

$299.99
ADD TO CART

Just checked at nowinstock, and all three have supply issues. However, the PS4 is available at Gamestop and the Pro at Amazon for their normal retail price, while the Switch is nowhere available unless you pay extreme scalper prices. Meanwhile, the XBO is only available through Microsoft store, others don't even have scalpers units anymore.

So all the consoles still have some supply issues, though they seem to be a bit less severe for Sony and more severe for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mandalore76 said:

$299.9

SOLD OUT

$299.99
SOLD OUT
See More Options

$299.99
ADD TO CART

$299.99
ADD TO CART

Just checked at nowinstock, and all three have supply issues. However, the PS4 is available at Gamestop and the Pro at Amazon for their normal retail price, while the Switch is nowhere available unless you pay extreme scalper prices. Meanwhile, the XBO is only available through Microsoft store, others don't even have scalpers units anymore.

So all the consoles still have some supply issues, though they seem to be a bit less severe for Sony and more severe for Microsoft and Nintendo.

I go to the individual stores websites to see what they actually have available.  Nowinstock doesn't even show Best Buy or Target.  The PS4 I can still drop into my shopping cart and click ready for check out at Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop.  Best Buy would even deliver tomorrow, or set up curbside pick-up.

Item Availability
Pickup
Best Buy Curbside Pickup is available in checkout
FREE Shipping 
Get it by Fri, Sep 25 if you order within 3hr 51min
Next-Day Delivery is also available in checkout
1 2 3 4 5 6+ Item Quantity
Price
$299.99

Gamestop has both delivery and in store pick-up available as well.

The XBox One  S, while it is no longer showing the stock I saw at Best Buy yesterday, I can also still add to my shopping cart for shipping from Target.  The nearest Target to me is showing that I can even walk in and purchase one. 

Xbox One S 1TB Console

$299.99
Pick up today at
Edit store
Pick it up
Ready within 4 hours for pickup inside the store.
Aisle F27

Gamestop isn't showing store pick-up available, but it is still in stock for shipping:

Added to Cart
Xbox One S White 1TB
Platform: Xbox One
Edition: White
Condition: New
Product Replacement Plan: No replacement plan

In Stock

Quantity: 1
Price: 
$299.99

Welfare said:

So what about april, may, and June? Were the percentages the same?

MasonADC said:
Welfare said:

Xbox One and PS4 actually went up MOM in April compared to Switch going down.

April/May was when Nintendo started prioritizing US and Europe over Japan and elsewhere so sales didn't fall as much as they could have considering the sell outs.

April was when all built up supply for PS4 and XB1 were sold through as May was a dead heat between both because they barely had any supply left over.

After March the comparison isn't valid because Switch isn't planned to be replaced this year and had production ramps while PS4/XB1 were slowing down in anticipation for next gen. June shows this with XB1 as production ceased for the One X and SAD and were both sold out by late June. PS4 as well starts to show this and July on shows the potential that Sony is employing similar strats to Nintendo where they prioritize US and Europe over Japan. 

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Welfare said:
MasonADC said:

Xbox One and PS4 actually went up MOM in April compared to Switch going down.

April/May was when Nintendo started prioritizing US and Europe over Japan and elsewhere so sales didn't fall as much as they could have considering the sell outs.

April was when all built up supply for PS4 and XB1 were sold through as May was a dead heat between both because they barely had any supply left over.

After March the comparison isn't valid because Switch isn't planned to be replaced this year and had production ramps while PS4/XB1 were slowing down in anticipation for next gen. June shows this with XB1 as production ceased for the One X and SAD and were both sold out by late June. PS4 as well starts to show this and July on shows the potential that Sony is employing similar strats to Nintendo where they prioritize US and Europe over Japan. 

Ma’am I don’t want to sound offensive but comparing “percentage jump” is a bit buffoonery. Simply because there are different baseline for each console. Both Xbox and PS4 were trending downward for years already before COVID hit. The switch has been selling incredibly well and has never slowed down. So the fact that the jump in percentage are similar makes your comparison doo doo.💩💩💩

The baseline was not zero. Switch was breaking records in 2019 too. This is like statistic 101. The switch adds to already record breaking run. PS4 and Xbox were RECOVERING the downward spiral. They are NOT remotely similar in any shape or form.