By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which was Wii U's best year?

Best year overall for Wii U

2012 2 3.77%

2013 2 3.77%

2014 36 67.92%

2015 9 16.98%

2016 1 1.89%

2017 3 5.66%

Total:53

My most played titles are NintendoLand and Mario Kart 8, with NintendoLand still being exclusive to the system, so I voted 2012. Even if I didn't own the system myself until 2014. ^^;;

Around the Network

In retrospect for me the only worthwhile Wii U game of 2012 was Black Ops II.
It's one of the best games in the series and the Wiimote pointer controls are superb.

In 2013, I got 3D World, Pikmin 3, Need for Speed, Splinter Cell, and Ghosts.

2016 was a total loss with nothing worth getting, and 2017 was a one-man show with BOTW.

2015 because Splatoon is a marquee top Nintendo franchise and it's been a long time since that happened.

Mario Maker as well I think.

Soundwave said:
2015 because Splatoon is a marquee top Nintendo franchise and it's been a long time since that happened.

Mario Maker as well I think.

2015 is underrated. Period.

2014 easily. Mario Kart 8, Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, Captain Toad were all solid.

I would say 2015 is close if it weren't for Nintendo releasing a bunch of shitty shovelware games at the time like Amiibo Festival, MP10, Mario Tennis, ECT... The highlights for me 2015 were Super Mario Maker and Splatoon, while it's difficult for me to say those are better games than MK8 and Smash, they were games that brought Nintendo into the modern era of online multiplayer for me, because before those games I always believed Nintendo was severely behind the times and still in the Wii era.

Around the Network

On the whole I'd say 2014 and 2015 are the only years that can be considered passable on the whole. The rest ranged from poor to horrible.

If you take BotW out, because it's a cross-gen game and most people bought it on Switch, MK8 is the WiiU's best game. It is absolutely excellent. Combine that with the other games that people mentioned for the year and 2014 wins easily.

The worst year would have thought be 2016, because essentially nothing happened for the system.

2014 for me as well. Starting w mariokart 8, then hyrule, bayo, fatal frame (which admittedly i never grabbed) and smash. A shame ac4 and pikmin 3 seemed to be the pinnacle of the consoles single player experience.

If you only had a Wii I can see 2012 offering up some strong titles, but for me who already owned a 360 and PS3, the late and mostly uneven ports from those consoles were old hat, and with the exception of Black Ops 2, I had access to better versions of them and had already played or passed on them.

2017 because it actually got a GOTY released on it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261