By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most underrated console?

What do you think is the most underrated games console, and why?

Around the Network

WiiU. It had Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Monster Hunter 3 U, Xeno Chronicles X and well, Breath of the Wild right near the end. Those games alone made it worth the purchase. And that backwards compatibility!

Also the Snes because its the best console of all time and theres people here who never had one which is just wild.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 22 August 2020

Gamecube.

I enjoyed the GC Zeldas far more than the N64 Zeldas, and they remain among my favorites in the series to date. I played the GC version of Twilight Princess rather than the Wii version and was glad that the GC version was the basis for the HD version.

Metroid Prime.

They seemed to be trying a lot harder with Japanese third parties. Resident Evil and Capcom's other GC games were great.

Some great RPGs like Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia Legends, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Baten Kaitos, and Harvest Moon.

Best version of Soulcalibur II.

I liked the Gamecube base controller and the Wavebird a lot.

The Game Boy Player.

I liked the Gamecube as much as I did the PS2, and it did much to redeem the disappointment of the Nintendo 64.

nintendo 64

could've sold more with their monstrous line up,
i think the cartridge hold them back?

Nintendo GameCube. Thing sold... Not so well, yet had:

Luigi's Mansion
Rogue Squadron 2/3
Smash Bros Melee
Clone Wars
Resident Evil 4
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Metroid Prime 1/2
Star Fox Adventures (get over it if you don't love it)
Eternal Darkness
Beyond Good and Evil
Zelda Four Swords/Windwaker/Twilight Princess
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario kart Doubledash
Super Monkeyball 2
Animal Crossing
Pikmin 1/2
Like 4 Mario Sports games including Strikers
And a bunch of others

that i didn't enjoy quite as much. 

It's stunning to me how poorly GameCube sold with these games, considering how well Switch has sold with sequels to many of these classic games.

Around the Network

Gamecube, the first generation where I had two consoles with both the PS2 and Gamecube. What a great time for gaming with excellent exclusives all around. Even though the PS2 won handily, I enjoyed the Gamecube a bit more.

To me its a tie between Gamecube and Wii U. Both to me are phenomenal consoles. Wii U (at the time) had a great exclusive library, even if it was small. I really loved the gamepad too. The potential was there.

Gamecube had a great library too, with solid third party support. Gamecube is looked back on rather fondly by many though, so maybe it isn't underrated now. The Wii U is though. IMO they both deserved much better sales.

1doesnotsimply

Wii U. Now, don't get me wrong. There are a ton of issues. It was too pricey, lacked third-party games, and had crappy specs. But Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker and the VC releases of EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound make it worth it. It also helps that there is Wii backwards compatibility. I know there are a ton of Wii consoles out there, but it's a nice feature.
Switch is better than Wii U, but not as drastically as some people say.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

SEGA Saturn

TurbografX16

Dreamcast.

They had fantastic libraries. Dreamcast is still getting games. I noticed Joshprod is making a fully 3D racing game for it. Saturns library is very underrated as most of the best games never left Japan. It has some great arcade ports. The great fighting game machine. Shmups. RPGs and more. The Saturn is a better system with a better and larger library than N64. Dreamcast was a great system but a victim of circumstance. SEGA was already bankrupt and PS2 DVD ability just sealed it. TG16 failed in the west but in Japan was a monster of a console. What a fantastic library. It's nearly as good as Genesis in games but again most the best ones stuck in Japan. First CD based add on and IMO much better library than SEGA CD. A lot of great RPGs and some of them exclusive like Cosmic Fantasy series.

The most recent system that is very similar to these three is the Vita. Not a home console I know. If we can include handhelds then I will also add Neo Geo Pocket Color and Wonderswan. Gunpei's last work of genius before his death.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 August 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Dreamcast nuff said