By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Best Lord of the Rings film

 

I think the best is...

Fellowship of the Ring 11 17.19%
 
Two Towers 20 31.25%
 
Return of the King 33 51.56%
 
Total:64

From the theater versions I like the Return of the King the most. The first movie is an adventurie movie, the second one is a war movie and the third one has the most epic moments.

But if I can choose the extended versions as well, I prefer the Two Towers by far. The extra scenes in the first movie do not add a lot, and the third movie especially adds bad CGI scenes. But the extra scenes from the Two Towers give the movie a lot more depth and and makes it a lot more than just a war movie.

I do not understand the love for the Hobbit movies. The pacing was off, the dwarfs look ridiculous (compare them with Gimli) and the movie doesn't really know what kind of movie it wants to be. And of course, making 3 movies was only a good choice because of the $$$, but besides that, it was a terrible idea.



Around the Network
Machina said:
They're all very evenly matched, so it's hard to pick one. I'd probably have to rewatch them again and see how I feel now, some 10 years since I last watched them, but I was always very fond of the Ents and the Wizards (the two key ones being played by the absolutely perfect choice of actors in Ian McKellen and the late Christopher Lee) in the novels and the films, so I voted for Two Towers.

That said, Return of the King includes my favourite scene in the entire series - the Mouth of Sauron.

The Hobbit movies have come up, so I'll add my view of those: I don't think they were bad; they're definitely watchable. But they're not even close to being on the same level as The Lord of the Rings trilogy (LotR films I all gave 9 to, The Hobbit films are all 7s). They're much more childish and child-like, with sequences that stretch credibility (the escape from Goblin Town). The characters aren't as interesting, likeable, or as well developed either, despite the films being stretched to like 9 hours. The content they're based on is much weaker, so I'm not sure I place much or even any blame on Peter Jackson. It'd be interesting if they were remade with a whole new director and production team and if that made any difference. I'm not sure it would, but who knows.

The Lord of the Rings is epic filmmaking at its finest

The Hobbit is light-hearted popcorn fare.

Both have their values and I'm fond of both, but they're very different in scope, style, and goal. That said, I agree with pretty much everybody that The Hobbit could have and should have been one movie. I liked it, and I was completely okay with the added content, but I definitely feel that being edited down to one three-hour movie would have been plenty. hell, two and a half hours would be enough for The Hobbit. Regardless, I still quite enjoyed the movies, all six of them. I just acknowledge that each trilogy was made with vastly different tones and goals in mind. I think that's what people need to understand; the hobbit was never going to be an epic, Lord of the Rings style masterwork, it was always going to be light and fluffy, just like its source material.



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

elazz said:
I don't really wanna consider them as separate movies. Usually when I start watching the Fellowship I watch the others within a week or two.

I'm the same. if I watch any one movie, I watch its entire respective trilogy. nothing quite like a weekend with The Hobbit on Saturday and Lord of the Rings on sunday. Sometimes I like to invite friends over and just host an LOTR weekend. I cook for them, I make snacks, etc. Mostly people just sort of sit around on their laptops or computers or phones with the movie in the background and one time we even just did board games with the movies on, but still! Lots of love to be had. 

I also host Potter weekends, and Marvel Phase Days. (Phase 1 on one day, Phase 2 on another day, Phase 3 over a weekend since that's like 8 or 9 movies with just Infinity War/Endgame being nearly 6 hours between them)



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Possibly unpopular opinion; I prefer the theatrical cuts of LOTR.

I feel the extended editions run too long and most of the added scenes feel unpolished and were cut for a reason.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Possibly unpopular opinion; I prefer the theatrical cuts of LOTR.

I feel the extended editions run too long and most of the added scenes feel unpolished and were cut for a reason.

I think the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Towers are fine, but the theatrical cut of Return is terrible for me personally. They completely cut the romance between Eowyn and Faramir, so all you see is her heart getting broken by Aragorn, her uncle dying to the Witch King, her killing the Witch King, and then nothing, that's the last you see of her in the movie pretty much, no happy ending for her, just the sadness of losing the man she loved and her uncle in the span of about a week. Extended cut brings back those essential Eowyn/Faramir romance scenes to give her a happy ending.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
curl-6 said:
Possibly unpopular opinion; I prefer the theatrical cuts of LOTR.

I feel the extended editions run too long and most of the added scenes feel unpolished and were cut for a reason.

I think the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Towers are fine, but the theatrical cut of Return is terrible for me personally. They completely cut the romance between Eowyn and Faramir, so all you see is her heart getting broken by Aragorn, her uncle dying to the Witch King, her killing the Witch King, and then nothing, that's the last you see of her in the movie pretty much, no happy ending for her, just the sadness of losing the man she loved and her uncle in the span of about a week. Extended cut brings back those essential Eowyn/Faramir romance scenes to give her a happy ending.

You still see them together and happy at Aragorn's coronation, it's just the one courtship scene before the black gate that's missing and frankly I'm fine to fill in the gaps to keep the runtime reasonable.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

coolharry said:
From the theater versions I like the Return of the King the most. The first movie is an adventurie movie, the second one is a war movie and the third one has the most epic moments.

But if I can choose the extended versions as well, I prefer the Two Towers by far. The extra scenes in the first movie do not add a lot, and the third movie especially adds bad CGI scenes. But the extra scenes from the Two Towers give the movie a lot more depth and and makes it a lot more than just a war movie.

I do not understand the love for the Hobbit movies. The pacing was off, the dwarfs look ridiculous (compare them with Gimli) and the movie doesn't really know what kind of movie it wants to be. And of course, making 3 movies was only a good choice because of the $$$, but besides that, it was a terrible idea.

Bad CGI scenes?

Return of the King’s Extended Edition primarily adds the confrontation with Saruman, an extended Paths of the Dead sequence, the Witch King confronting Gandalf in Minas Tirith, romance between Eowyn and Faramir, the Mouth of Sauron and more of Frodo and Sam in Mordor.

I’m not really seeing worse CGI here than in the rest of the film, and actually, not that much CGI dominated scenes at all. Really only the Paths of the Dead.

Meanwhile it adds stuff crucial to the story. Saruman at least should’ve been in the theatrical release because it leaves a huge loose end by skipping him. Christopher Lee was also quite surprised and puzzled at the time because of this exclusion, and was a bit angry over it to Peter Jackson. Obviously they reconciled in the end because Lee happily appeared in the Hobbit trilogy for as big a role as he had in Lord of the Rings.

Anyway I think you should give the Extended Edition another chance.



S.Peelman said:
coolharry said:
From the theater versions I like the Return of the King the most. The first movie is an adventurie movie, the second one is a war movie and the third one has the most epic moments.

But if I can choose the extended versions as well, I prefer the Two Towers by far. The extra scenes in the first movie do not add a lot, and the third movie especially adds bad CGI scenes. But the extra scenes from the Two Towers give the movie a lot more depth and and makes it a lot more than just a war movie.

I do not understand the love for the Hobbit movies. The pacing was off, the dwarfs look ridiculous (compare them with Gimli) and the movie doesn't really know what kind of movie it wants to be. And of course, making 3 movies was only a good choice because of the $$$, but besides that, it was a terrible idea.

Bad CGI scenes?

Return of the King’s Extended Edition primarily adds the confrontation with Saruman, an extended Paths of the Dead sequence, the Witch King confronting Gandalf in Minas Tirith, romance between Eowyn and Faramir, the Mouth of Sauron and more of Frodo and Sam in Mordor.

I’m not really seeing worse CGI here than in the rest of the film, and actually, not that much CGI dominated scenes at all. Really only the Paths of the Dead.

Meanwhile it adds stuff crucial to the story. Saruman at least should’ve been in the theatrical release because it leaves a huge loose end by skipping him. Christopher Lee was also quite surprised and puzzled at the time because of this exclusion, and was a bit angry over it to Peter Jackson. Obviously they reconciled in the end because Lee happily appeared in the Hobbit trilogy for as big a role as he had in Lord of the Rings.

Anyway I think you should give the Extended Edition another chance.

I watched all versions more than 10 times, so giving them a second chance is not possible anymore :P

I might be exaccerating a bit, but I'm mostly talking about the extra scenes around the battle of Gondor before the rohirim arive. The trolls (and massive fields of orcs) seem to be glitching a lot in the extra scenes (the first time I saw that I was really thinking, wtf, did they forget to finish these scenes or something?) and it took me out of the movie a bit. Furthtermore,  the extra scene around the  'nothing can brake the door', 'Wolf can brake it', was really weak and I think the scene between Gandalf and the Wizard King was a lot less epic than in the book, so I didn't mind that they skipped that one in the theatrical version :)



My parents were big LOTR fans (as am I) so growing up we always watched the extended versions (religiously, starting every 22nd of September, since that's Bilbo and Frodo's birthday) and only in recent years did I rediscover the cinema cuts.

So I've watched the extended versions a lot more than the theatrical versions, and tbh I just find the former too long.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Gotta say that I really loved these movies in when I first saw them in the theatres.  However, I appreciate the extended versions so much more.  I've never read the books and there are several parts that didn't quite make sense until I saw the extended cut.  For example, it wasn't totally clear that there were two battles going on at the end of Two Towers.  In the theatrical release the focus is almost entirely on Helm's Deep, and the Ents vs. Saruman just get a few fragmented scenes.

The extended versions do seem a little too slow on pacing, but it is worth it, because there is just too much cut out of the theatrical versions and certain plotlines get muddied.