By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Best Lord of the Rings film

I think the best is...

Fellowship of the Ring 11 17.19%

Two Towers 20 31.25%

Return of the King 33 51.56%

Total:64
farlaff said:

I think I'm gonna be THAT guy (that's right, no one said what i'm about to say) but I don't find the trilogy all that good from a cinema perspective. From an entertainment point of view I totally understand (some of) the success, but not to the extent of a good movie experience. Peter Jackson proved to be a much better director in King Kong than in those movies to be honest.

First: literal translation of languages instead of adaptation. Movies are made by images first and foremost. They are not books. Kubrick's "The Shining" is a perfect illustration of what I mean. The Lord trilogy acts like it's a direct transcription from the books and many of the images serve no purpose rather than just confirming what we have already heard a given character say at some point. Take, for a contrary example, the Batman Returns ball scene with Wayne and Selina finally realizing who each other was. No spoken explanation whatsoever and you are carried along into the tension. Amazing! In Lord of the Rings almost 100% of the action is explained through dialogue because the movies, for the most parts, do not believe in the audience's intelligence. I mean, come on!, a guy lights a lantern or something like that and someone shouts: "the lantern was lit!". For puking out loud sake, how can someone bear this kind of thing?

Second: low tension, and that affects the last movie the most. There's nothing that makes you fear for the destiny of any of the main characters or for their success. Ok, we know the books and how everything turns out, but the last movie is almost unbearable to me because it is just a loooooong series of activities that carry no surprise or engaging moment, at all.

Third, and this is probably a fault of the original material so that could hardly be helped in the movies: a much too masculine world and females have almost no say or good actions, except for the second movie. This bores me to hell.

So, having said some of the things that bother me, let me rate the series from a quality perspective and to also mention why I think Two Towers (the one that received my vote) is the only one that can be called actually "good":

Fellowship: 5 or 6 out of 10 - entertaining but not remarkable in any way. The poor pacing kills much of the excitement. Nice images, though.

Towers: 7 out of 10 - good story development, actual tension (you are going to really fear for the fate of many here) and some actual, relevant meaning (if I can remember correctly after all these years) in the possibility of genocide, which is an actual and recurrent theme even in the modern world, unfortunately. Plus, the Ents are awesome. It drags a bit though, for it's own sake.

King: 2 out of 10 - my goodness, how did this horrible piece of crap get to be so successful? Boring, with no pace whatsoever, and all the tension built in the second one disappears into dust, as the action is so horribly just "placed" there and you are sure from the first moment that nothing can go wrong. It serves mainly as a catharsis moment for the fans, who can only sit back and enjoy an almost thrill free ride. And lots, lots of useless dialogues to explain what we can CLEARLY see on screen. Again: So. SO. Boring.

As you can see, maybe my vision of the whole was affected by how horribly it all ended, but I cannot agree that this can even run for better ever movie trilogy. If you want to compare popcorn trilogies, Back to the Future, just to name one from the top of my mind, is waaaaaayyyy better.

Wow! Impressive! I've never seen someone be wrong about something subjective before. I didn't even think it was possible!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Wow! Impressive! I've never seen someone be wrong about something subjective before. I didn't even think it was possible!

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I have ever seen LOL. Way to try and draw attention. Like that one movie character once stated, if you got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.

General gamer, fanboy hater

Would it be wrong to say I preferred the first hobbit movie?

For me the reason being it kind of felt like they took the best elements of LOTR trilogy and tried to put it into that movie at a pace that felt right i.e. the battles, the story, the suspense to me felt very well balanced where as in the LOTR trilogy i felt like they focused on one element only in each movie for too long and you kind of lost focus and missed bits.

I don't know how else to describe it for me, so hope I am making some sense here how it felt lol. The second and third hobbit movies didn't leave me feeling the same and I did loose focus a few times whilst watching them.

As someone who considers the LOTR films god-tier movies, the Hobbit films didn't do much for me, I found them too padded out; really should have been one or two movies, not three. 

It made sense for LOTR to be three films as it's three "books" combined into one very long novel, but the Hobbit is one relatively short book, and the attempts to make it LOTR length felt artificial and forced.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I find The Hobbit movies to be criminally underrated. Yes, they have issues, such as many of the dwarf characters lacking the charisma of the main LOTR characters, and the over-reliance on CGI for the battle scenes, but aside from those issues the movies are very good. The action scenes are still excellent even if they rely on CGI too much, Gandalf is still great, Radagast is great, Martin Freeman is fantastic as Bilbo, Cumberbatch is fantastic as Smaug, Legolas is fantastic as always, I like the new Elf girl they added who wasn't in the book as well as the love story they came up with for her and Kili, I like how they managed to work Saruman and Galadriel into the movies (who also weren't in the book).

It sometimes feels like The Hobbits' only real crime was simply not being God tier like LOTR, if people wouldn't compare them so much they'd see that they're still very good movies in their own right. I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels and Harry Potter prequels though, fans of all 3 series seem to get way to judgy about the prequels that came afterward. I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, the Star Wars prequels, and the first 2 Fantastic Beasts movies so far. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 25 August 2020

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I find The Hobbit movies to be criminally underrated. Yes, they have issues, such as many of the dwarf characters lacking the charisma of the main LOTR characters, and the over-reliance on CGI for the battle scenes, but aside from those issues the movies are very good. The action scenes are still excellent even if they rely on CGI too much, Gandalf is still great, Radagast is great, Martin Freeman is fantastic as Bilbo, Cumberbatch is fantastic as Smaug, Legolas is fantastic as always, I like the new Elf girl they added who wasn't in the book as well as the love story they came up with for her and Kili, I like how they managed to work Saruman and Galadriel into the movies (who also weren't in the book).

It sometimes feels like The Hobbits' only real crime was simply not being God tier like LOTR, if people wouldn't compare them so much they'd see that they're still very good movies in their own right. I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels and Harry Potter prequels though, fans of all 3 series seem to get way to judgy about the prequels that came afterward. I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, the Star Wars prequels, and the first 2 Fantastic Beasts movies so far. 

That's a fair point, even as someone who didn't love them, the Hobbit films definitely have some strong qualities. I just can't help but compare them to the films they share a universe with, and Jackson's Lucas-esque tendencies in the latter trilogy rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Dulfite said:
Best adventure film with aura of mystery? Fellowship.

Best war movie? Two Towers

Best story? Return of the King.

They are each beautiful films in their own way and exceeding one another for different reasons.

This pretty much nails it, they all have their distinct characteristics that make them excellent in their own way. Though I would say that Return is ALSO a great war film in addition to its strong story, with some insanely epic battles that I still can't help but return to today. I did love the Helms Deep battle, but the Minas Tirith battle absolutely dwarfed it in terms of visuals and grandiosity.

Aside from a bloated ending (which is partly understandable given all the loose ends they had to tie in such a grand tale), Return is near perfection and my overall favorite. Though I also love the sense of adventure and escalation of Fellowship. It's a close second, but for a very different reason. It's also similar to the first Hobbit film in this regard, which is why I enjoyed that film even though I didn't much care for the Hobbit sequels.

I find that when I return to rewatch Two Towers these days it's mainly for that awesome, goosebump-inducing battle scene at Helms Deep (and maybe the warg rider fight scene), whereas the rest of the film, while still great, is a bit less interesting to me and feels like I'm just watching it to GET to those awesome moments.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 26 August 2020

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

They're all very evenly matched, so it's hard to pick one. I'd probably have to rewatch them again and see how I feel now, some 10 years since I last watched them, but I was always very fond of the Ents and the Wizards (the two key ones being played by the absolutely perfect choice of actors in Ian McKellen and the late Christopher Lee) in the novels and the films, so I voted for Two Towers.

That said, Return of the King includes my favourite scene in the entire series - the Mouth of Sauron.

The Hobbit movies have come up, so I'll add my view of those: I don't think they were bad; they're definitely watchable. But they're not even close to being on the same level as The Lord of the Rings trilogy (LotR films I all gave 9 to, The Hobbit films are all 7s). They're much more childish and child-like, with sequences that stretch credibility (the escape from Goblin Town). The characters aren't as interesting, likeable, or as well developed either, despite the films being stretched to like 9 hours. The content they're based on is much weaker, so I'm not sure I place much or even any blame on Peter Jackson. It'd be interesting if they were remade with a whole new director and production team and if that made any difference. I'm not sure it would, but who knows.

curl-6 said:
shikamaru317 said:

That's a fair point, even as someone who didn't love them, the Hobbit films definitely have some strong qualities. I just can't help but compare them to the films they share a universe with, and Jackson's Lucas-esque tendencies in the latter trilogy rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll tag this as it will address both comments.

Agree underrated, and I also agree probably should have been 2 movies hence why I felt the first one was great and then it went down from there.

I don't really wanna consider them as separate movies. Usually when I start watching the Fellowship I watch the others within a week or two.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0