By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best Lord of the Rings film

I think the best is...

Fellowship of the Ring 11 17.19%

Two Towers 20 31.25%

Return of the King 33 51.56%

Total:64

As someone who considers the LOTR films god-tier movies, the Hobbit films didn't do much for me, I found them too padded out; really should have been one or two movies, not three. 

It made sense for LOTR to be three films as it's three "books" combined into one very long novel, but the Hobbit is one relatively short book, and the attempts to make it LOTR length felt artificial and forced.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 August 2020

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I find The Hobbit movies to be criminally underrated. Yes, they have issues, such as many of the dwarf characters lacking the charisma of the main LOTR characters, and the over-reliance on CGI for the battle scenes, but aside from those issues the movies are very good. The action scenes are still excellent even if they rely on CGI too much, Gandalf is still great, Radagast is great, Martin Freeman is fantastic as Bilbo, Cumberbatch is fantastic as Smaug, Legolas is fantastic as always, I like the new Elf girl they added who wasn't in the book as well as the love story they came up with for her and Kili, I like how they managed to work Saruman and Galadriel into the movies (who also weren't in the book).

It sometimes feels like The Hobbits' only real crime was simply not being God tier like LOTR, if people wouldn't compare them so much they'd see that they're still very good movies in their own right. I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels and Harry Potter prequels though, fans of all 3 series seem to get way to judgy about the prequels that came afterward. I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, the Star Wars prequels, and the first 2 Fantastic Beasts movies so far. 

That's a fair point, even as someone who didn't love them, the Hobbit films definitely have some strong qualities. I just can't help but compare them to the films they share a universe with, and Jackson's Lucas-esque tendencies in the latter trilogy rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 August 2020

Dulfite said:
Best adventure film with aura of mystery? Fellowship.

Best war movie? Two Towers

Best story? Return of the King.

They are each beautiful films in their own way and exceeding one another for different reasons.

This pretty much nails it, they all have their distinct characteristics that make them excellent in their own way. Though I would say that Return is ALSO a great war film in addition to its strong story, with some insanely epic battles that I still can't help but return to today. I did love the Helms Deep battle, but the Minas Tirith battle absolutely dwarfed it in terms of visuals and grandiosity.

Aside from a bloated ending (which is partly understandable given all the loose ends they had to tie in such a grand tale), Return is near perfection and my overall favorite. Though I also love the sense of adventure and escalation of Fellowship. It's a close second, but for a very different reason. It's also similar to the first Hobbit film in this regard, which is why I enjoyed that film even though I didn't much care for the Hobbit sequels.

I find that when I return to rewatch Two Towers these days it's mainly for that awesome, goosebump-inducing battle scene at Helms Deep (and maybe the warg rider fight scene), whereas the rest of the film, while still great, is a bit less interesting to me and feels like I'm just watching it to GET to those awesome moments.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 26 August 2020

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

curl-6 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I find The Hobbit movies to be criminally underrated. Yes, they have issues, such as many of the dwarf characters lacking the charisma of the main LOTR characters, and the over-reliance on CGI for the battle scenes, but aside from those issues the movies are very good. The action scenes are still excellent even if they rely on CGI too much, Gandalf is still great, Radagast is great, Martin Freeman is fantastic as Bilbo, Cumberbatch is fantastic as Smaug, Legolas is fantastic as always, I like the new Elf girl they added who wasn't in the book as well as the love story they came up with for her and Kili, I like how they managed to work Saruman and Galadriel into the movies (who also weren't in the book).

It sometimes feels like The Hobbits' only real crime was simply not being God tier like LOTR, if people wouldn't compare them so much they'd see that they're still very good movies in their own right. I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels and Harry Potter prequels though, fans of all 3 series seem to get way to judgy about the prequels that came afterward. I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, the Star Wars prequels, and the first 2 Fantastic Beasts movies so far. 

That's a fair point, even as someone who didn't love them, the Hobbit films definitely have some strong qualities. I just can't help but compare them to the films they share a universe with, and Jackson's Lucas-esque tendencies in the latter trilogy rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll tag this as it will address both comments.

Agree underrated, and I also agree probably should have been 2 movies hence why I felt the first one was great and then it went down from there.

I don't really wanna consider them as separate movies. Usually when I start watching the Fellowship I watch the others within a week or two.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Around the Network

From the theater versions I like the Return of the King the most. The first movie is an adventurie movie, the second one is a war movie and the third one has the most epic moments.

But if I can choose the extended versions as well, I prefer the Two Towers by far. The extra scenes in the first movie do not add a lot, and the third movie especially adds bad CGI scenes. But the extra scenes from the Two Towers give the movie a lot more depth and and makes it a lot more than just a war movie.

I do not understand the love for the Hobbit movies. The pacing was off, the dwarfs look ridiculous (compare them with Gimli) and the movie doesn't really know what kind of movie it wants to be. And of course, making 3 movies was only a good choice because of the $$$, but besides that, it was a terrible idea.

Machina said:
They're all very evenly matched, so it's hard to pick one. I'd probably have to rewatch them again and see how I feel now, some 10 years since I last watched them, but I was always very fond of the Ents and the Wizards (the two key ones being played by the absolutely perfect choice of actors in Ian McKellen and the late Christopher Lee) in the novels and the films, so I voted for Two Towers.

That said, Return of the King includes my favourite scene in the entire series - the Mouth of Sauron.

The Hobbit movies have come up, so I'll add my view of those: I don't think they were bad; they're definitely watchable. But they're not even close to being on the same level as The Lord of the Rings trilogy (LotR films I all gave 9 to, The Hobbit films are all 7s). They're much more childish and child-like, with sequences that stretch credibility (the escape from Goblin Town). The characters aren't as interesting, likeable, or as well developed either, despite the films being stretched to like 9 hours. The content they're based on is much weaker, so I'm not sure I place much or even any blame on Peter Jackson. It'd be interesting if they were remade with a whole new director and production team and if that made any difference. I'm not sure it would, but who knows.

The Lord of the Rings is epic filmmaking at its finest

The Hobbit is light-hearted popcorn fare.

Both have their values and I'm fond of both, but they're very different in scope, style, and goal. That said, I agree with pretty much everybody that The Hobbit could have and should have been one movie. I liked it, and I was completely okay with the added content, but I definitely feel that being edited down to one three-hour movie would have been plenty. hell, two and a half hours would be enough for The Hobbit. Regardless, I still quite enjoyed the movies, all six of them. I just acknowledge that each trilogy was made with vastly different tones and goals in mind. I think that's what people need to understand; the hobbit was never going to be an epic, Lord of the Rings style masterwork, it was always going to be light and fluffy, just like its source material.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

elazz said:
I don't really wanna consider them as separate movies. Usually when I start watching the Fellowship I watch the others within a week or two.

I'm the same. if I watch any one movie, I watch its entire respective trilogy. nothing quite like a weekend with The Hobbit on Saturday and Lord of the Rings on sunday. Sometimes I like to invite friends over and just host an LOTR weekend. I cook for them, I make snacks, etc. Mostly people just sort of sit around on their laptops or computers or phones with the movie in the background and one time we even just did board games with the movies on, but still! Lots of love to be had. 

I also host Potter weekends, and Marvel Phase Days. (Phase 1 on one day, Phase 2 on another day, Phase 3 over a weekend since that's like 8 or 9 movies with just Infinity War/Endgame being nearly 6 hours between them)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Possibly unpopular opinion; I prefer the theatrical cuts of LOTR.

I feel the extended editions run too long and most of the added scenes feel unpolished and were cut for a reason.

shikamaru317 said:
curl-6 said:
Possibly unpopular opinion; I prefer the theatrical cuts of LOTR.

I feel the extended editions run too long and most of the added scenes feel unpolished and were cut for a reason.

I think the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Towers are fine, but the theatrical cut of Return is terrible for me personally. They completely cut the romance between Eowyn and Faramir, so all you see is her heart getting broken by Aragorn, her uncle dying to the Witch King, her killing the Witch King, and then nothing, that's the last you see of her in the movie pretty much, no happy ending for her, just the sadness of losing the man she loved and her uncle in the span of about a week. Extended cut brings back those essential Eowyn/Faramir romance scenes to give her a happy ending.

You still see them together and happy at Aragorn's coronation, it's just the one courtship scene before the black gate that's missing and frankly I'm fine to fill in the gaps to keep the runtime reasonable.