By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch do well in Brazil?

Nautilus said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This one for 370 also charges 40 BRL for delivery. Most retailers who uses Mercado Livre distribution delivery uses 400 price tag. Sure minor fluctuations can happen like 390 or so, but same will happen when big retailers start selling games here

I live in Recife, alternative market here is not as strong as in SP and many second-hand games are from on-hand trade only. It worked from me in late 3DS times, but definitely not happening for Switch now (and I'm personally avoiding getting out of home)

How are you sure don't impact sales revenue? I understand a case where there is a different version of the game like a Russian switch game not having french or Spanish dub/sub, but the standard game? Doesn't make sense for me as a Brazilian consumer who is used to change region every time I want some discount 

What? No...

Have you never used Mercado Livre? Any offer that is above 120 BLR NEEDS to offer free shipping. I mean, it's not technically free because the seller puts that into the cost, but if the offer costs 370 BLR, you don't pay a cent more for the shipping.

This... is false. No product needs to have free shipping in ML. It's up to the seller if they want to include it or not and in some cases where I live (Recife as well) some sellers offer free shipping but it's not valid for my region. 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Nautilus said:

What? No...

Have you never used Mercado Livre? Any offer that is above 120 BLR NEEDS to offer free shipping. I mean, it's not technically free because the seller puts that into the cost, but if the offer costs 370 BLR, you don't pay a cent more for the shipping.

It does affect, but not in a significant way. It's not that different from the arguments used when piracy is the topic. If piracy really stole that many sales, developers would be out of business by now(because it's easier than ever to emulate/pirate games in general, at least that's what it seems to me), but they are not. It's actually quite the opposite really.

There are several reasons that go into it, but they mostly boild down to three: Many have a moral code to not do it, meaning that it's not 100% of gamers that are going to try it(piracy or abusing the regional pricing). Second: Even if it's not complicated, it takes way too much effort somethimes than people are willing to dedicate. One of the reasons that Steam, PS4, Switch and so on are successful is because they are offer a streamlined and effortless experience which people can easily buy and play games. Havin to make new emails to change accounts, then set up those accounts, then buy foreign currency, etc. is usually too much hassle for most. And third: Even with regional pricing being put into place, games don't get THAT much cheaper. With games on sale so often(and fast, given that alot of games goes into sale 3 or 4 months after it's release), why the hell go through all that hussle I just mentioned before, to save what it ends up being 15, 20 dollars? Especially when I can wait 3 or 4 months for a sale, and play another great game currently discounted while I wait?

I buy a lot there actually. And not necessarily all products must be shipping free, it's up to the seller. Here it's charging 40,90 for delivery

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1607948414-midia-fisica-animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-lacrado-_JM

Hmmm... It ships free to me. Maybe it's because of your region?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

RedKingXIII said:
Nautilus said:

What? No...

This... is false. No product needs to have free shipping in ML. It's up to the seller if they want to include it or not and in some cases where I live (Recife as well) some sellers offer free shipping but it's not valid for my region. 

I know for a fact that above 120 BLR, you ARE forced to give free shipping, unless you have your own logistics(which 99% don't have).

I think it's simply the fact that Mercado Livre dosen't "support" free shipping to all regions in Brasil, especially for the Northeastern part of the country.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

RedKingXIII said:

(Recife as well) 

Wait... what? Hi fellow recifense, I didn't' even know there was another Switch owner here (joking) let alone find you here

Nautilus said:

I know for a fact that above 120 BLR, you ARE forced to give free shipping, unless you have your own logistics(which 99% don't have).

I think it's simply the fact that Mercado Livre dosen't "support" free shipping to all regions in Brasil, especially for the Northeastern part of the country.

As I said, it's up to the seller. Some offer, some doesn't

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
DonFerrari said:

Errr I don't think region lock will be really necessary. Considering current dollar exchange ratio we can buy PSN full titles from about 270 (49USD and there wouldn't be the 15% tax like USA that makes the game 69USD) and if you buy physical you can find for 220-250 if you wait couple days, because those grey shop buy what Sony prints and ships to Paraguay without taxes and then sell in Brazil for lower than MSRP.

It's the same with Switch physical games, except they are sold for over 350 BRL unless they are really flop ones that just don't sell. Since they are unofficial retailers they don't have a return distribution policy and sometimes sell those games for 270-300 BRL just for the sake of get at least the cost value back, this is happening with very few games that goes on sale quite often on eshop like Ni no Kuni, but almost never happen with Nintendo AAA games like BOTW or Smash Bros Ultimate, those you will find for 350-400 BRL

Digital games are priced 250 BRL on eshop, with current exchange rates this is about 45 USD, I don't know how often american change their account region but at least europeans seems very price sensitive consumers, I don't know why the heck they just don't buy their games on br eshop 

Edit: Just about 2 hours ago euro got their highest exchange rate ever at 6,7 BRL. If a fellow european wants a nice disccount go on BR eshop you can buy any AAA Nintendo game for only 37 EUR (and we have Luigi's Mansion on sale for 170 BRL ~28 EUR)

Well maybe Switch because it doesn't get official releases floats a lot, but even the best sellers for Sony are considerably cheaper and almost always you'll find cheaper physical than digital at launch.

PS+ was like R$100 for a year meaning 25USD at the time, much cheaper than on US or EU. Costumers either don't know or don't care. So besides greyshops that could import from paraguay to send to USA and EU they having considerably cheaper price here wouldn't be a real issue worldwide.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It could do as well or better than most consoles in Brazil. But I don't think it's even going to hit 1 million in Brazil.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
It could do as well or better than most consoles in Brazil. But I don't think it's even going to hit 1 million in Brazil.

Any sales breakdown for XONE and PS4 here?

IcaroRibeiro said:
AsGryffynn said:

Both perhaps? I mean, there's the inhumane red tape, then there's... hideous retailers... 

You meant high taxes right?

We use "Custo Brasil" to talk about high cost in production taxes, labor taxes and commerce and services taxes. This makes goods here extremely expensive, even for basic things like food in grocery stores. Custo Brasil is definitely a thing and give a headache to any lower/middle class worker who spend over 80% of their income in consumer items, meaning the absolute majority of our wages are taxed from one way or another

"Lucro Brasil" is used to criticize the exploitation of some companies to elevate selling price as much as they can only for the sake of profit. In specific automotive industry is know for their infamous retail prices for subpar products

Apple does this here too, selling price for iPhone and MacBooks are unrealistic high even with all taxes involved, they used sell MacBooks for over 15k BRL even when exchange rate was 3 BRL = 1 USD, so yeah 5k USD for a freaking personal computer

Sony tried with PS4, even with exchange rates and taxes it shouldn't be priced over 3000 BRL, but retail price at launch was 4000 BRL. Didn't work that well for them and they lowered the price a bit

I mean everything. High taxes don't elevate the price that much. High operating costs courtesy of unscrupulous middlemen also add to the price, together with the aforementioned "Lucro" that you just highlighted. I once talked to an ex-boss of mine about why bananas were so expensive in Spain and the answer was a breakdown of costs and tax: tax raised prices, but the amount of checkups they had to go through, some repetitive or redundant, added extras to the cost that weren't needed. 

OTOH, red tape and taxes are also considered to be one and the same, so taxing everything to kingdom come is also red tape and yes, I heard horror stories about taxation down there. I still wonder WHERE that money is going and if the politicians pocketing it are aware they could double that amount by slashing retail taxes and taxing the upper echelons out of their billions. 

AsGryffynn said:

I mean everything. High taxes don't elevate the price that much. 

They do though. REALLY do. That's a reason why brazilian industry production shrink every year this decade. One of the proposals on taxe reform is to reduce IPI (industry/production tax) that can be as high as 60% of the final product price, and distribute among other fees like ISS (services taxes). I agree industry pays much more taxes than what they should but increasing service taxes will only punish middle class as we are the social class that uses the highest percentage of wages in services (well poorer classes uses most of their money buying basic goods like food, so right now they are most punished class)

What they really need to do is decrease production and trade taxes and increase estate taxes, but of course wealthier classes who really control politicians will never allow it 

Moving forward, I do agree companies are abusive and increase the price much further than the taxes they pay in some industries just because they can and we have no power to stop them. If every car sold here is overpriced and collective transport sucks the only option left is using Uber. I had few college professors who given up their personal cars and now only uses Uber just to showcase how expensive is owning a personal car lol

As for how politicians use our money this is another whole discussion on its own (and I have some knowledge on this field, because until last Monday I used work in a company that works in government spending/accounting). Mind you 57% of our money is to public debt and other charges, 24% for social security and only 19% for true spending. I don't know jackshit about fiscal/financial expenses so can't give you any reason why we need 2,7 trillion BRL a year to pay public debt   

For other expenses I must say the problem starts with the federation pact and how money is collected and distributed among federation, states and municipalities, we spend too much on administration and bureaucracy and bidding processes, especially civil construction works, are much more expensive than they should be, in short corruption is rampant. The size of country doesn't help and most system didn't go fully digital yet. Only last July 2019 a national unified accounting matrix system for all public units (prefectures, public companies, etc) entered into force

Each on of the 27 states has it own court auditors and they are extremely incompetent. In my state our auditors only defined the rules for disclosing spending with Covid-19 in June, 3 months after the outbreak so in April and May each city could use federal revenues for whatever they want WITHOUT REPORTING ACCOUNTS. When will our court audit that? Probably only in 2 years, because right now they are still auditing 2018 

Will you be surprised if I say our public information access law was signed only in 2011?