By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch do well in Brazil?

Every week I buy games on steam. The price? 5 BRL, 25 BRL, 40 BRL....Why should I buy a 400 BRL (retail) or 270 BRL (e-shop) nintendo game? NEVER. And I could..

Last edited by rykdrewbr - on 22 August 2020

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Will this finally kill the SEGA Master System sales in Brazil? They setill sell new Master Systems there.

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:
Will this finally kill the SEGA Master System sales in Brazil? They setill sell new Master Systems there.

It won't, not even Mega Drive killed Master System.

Why is Master System still selling in Brazil? I mean, even if people really like 2D Sega games, a Megadrive/Genesis is just better hands down. Are there just not many Genesis/Megadrive carts in Brazil? Or did the people there just grow a Mastersystem-Only gaming culture? 

Serious question though. Why are people in Brazil still buying an 8-Bit system in 2020? Not trying to knock on anybody here. I'm just super curious. 

Also, what are prices for games in Brazil in USD? $75 physical and $48 on the eShop right? What's the average hourly wage or monthly income for Brazilians? 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Serious question though. Why are people in Brazil still buying an 8-Bit system in 2020? 

We... aren't, are we?

At least I don't see a mastersystem since my childhood

75 USD retail 48 USD eshop for Nintendo games

For Sony games around 60 retail at launch but can go lower than 50 USD after some months; 52-55 USD digital

Minimum wage here is 190 USD monthly, before dollar crash it was around 260-280 USD

Average wage is 410 (April 2020), before dollar crash 590-540 USD

Console gaming is for middle and upper classes only

Only 14% of Brazilian families (which means ALL family income) has a monthly income over 615 USD (850 before crash) and only 5% of families over 1230 USD (or 1695 before crash). Companies target those 14% families

PS: Btw, current Switch grey market price is 630-720 USD

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 22 August 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
Leynos said:

DonFerrari said:

Why is Master System still selling in Brazil? I mean, even if people really like 2D Sega games, a Megadrive/Genesis is just better hands down. Are there just not many Genesis/Megadrive carts in Brazil? Or did the people there just grow a Mastersystem-Only gaming culture? 

Serious question though. Why are people in Brazil still buying an 8-Bit system in 2020? Not trying to knock on anybody here. I'm just super curious. 

Also, what are prices for games in Brazil in USD? $75 physical and $48 on the eShop right? What's the average hourly wage or monthly income for Brazilians? 

Probaly because they sell Master System for cheaper than Mega Drive so for low income population it makes a difference. And they may pay that in over 12 monthly payments. There are plenty of carts for both Mega Drive and Master System, I would say I have seem a lot more Mega Drive ones actually. But fun thing is that during Master System time we had a lot of titles made in portuguese in Brazil. In MegaDrive that almost stopped, then we didn't had anything in portuguese basically until middle PS3 time and now we are seeing it being very common to even have dubbed (every Sony 1st party in PS4 from what I remember is dubbed in portuguese, and a good number of 3rd parties is at least sub and most of the AAA are dubbed as well). And even some titles are being made in Brazil now.

But probably is very small number of consoles bought, but they still produce somewhat because well they only have license from Sega to produce Master System and Mega Drive, from what I know they tried Saturn and Dreamcast but without success. So tectoy from time to time put a new version on with games loaded and sell.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cerebralbore101 said:
Leynos said:

DonFerrari said:

And to be fully honest. It's not THE Sega Master System. It's a licensed console from SEGA to a company called Tec Toy. Well. It used to be a real Master System (the Jr) sold under tec Toy but evolved into an HDMI console. I think it's just super cheap. The older one is the white version and the blue version is the newest iteration I know of tho it's from 2016 so not sure if they have since updated it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectoy

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And to be fully honest. It's not THE Sega Master System. It's a licensed console from SEGA to a company called Tec Toy. Well. It used to be a real Master System (the Jr) sold under tec Toy but evolved into an HDMI console. I think it's just super cheap. The older one is the white version and the blue version is the newest iteration I know of tho it's from 2016 so not sure if they have since updated it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectoy

Ah so it's a mini-console with 131 games then? Yeah no wonder it still sells. I thought some insane factory in Brazil was still pumping out OG Master Systems, Carts, and Controllers or something. :P

Cerebralbore101 said:
Leynos said:

Ah so it's a mini-console with 131 games then? Yeah no wonder it still sells. I thought some insane factory in Brazil was still pumping out OG Master Systems, Carts, and Controllers or something. :P

And the best selling gaming device there since the 90s lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

IcaroRibeiro said:
AsGryffynn said:

I mean everything. High taxes don't elevate the price that much. 

They do though. REALLY do. That's a reason why brazilian industry production shrink every year this decade. One of the proposals on taxe reform is to reduce IPI (industry/production tax) that can be as high as 60% of the final product price, and distribute among other fees like ISS (services taxes). I agree industry pays much more taxes than what they should but increasing service taxes will only punish middle class as we are the social class that uses the highest percentage of wages in services (well poorer classes uses most of their money buying basic goods like food, so right now they are most punished class)

What they really need to do is decrease production and trade taxes and increase estate taxes, but of course wealthier classes who really control politicians will never allow it 

Moving forward, I do agree companies are abusive and increase the price much further than the taxes they pay in some industries just because they can and we have no power to stop them. If every car sold here is overpriced and collective transport sucks the only option left is using Uber. I had few college professors who given up their personal cars and now only uses Uber just to showcase how expensive is owning a personal car lol

As for how politicians use our money this is another whole discussion on its own (and I have some knowledge on this field, because until last Monday I used work in a company that works in government spending/accounting). Mind you 57% of our money is to public debt and other charges, 24% for social security and only 19% for true spending. I don't know jackshit about fiscal/financial expenses so can't give you any reason why we need 2,7 trillion BRL a year to pay public debt   

For other expenses I must say the problem starts with the federation pact and how money is collected and distributed among federation, states and municipalities, we spend too much on administration and bureaucracy and bidding processes, especially civil construction works, are much more expensive than they should be, in short corruption is rampant. The size of country doesn't help and most system didn't go fully digital yet. Only last July 2019 a national unified accounting matrix system for all public units (prefectures, public companies, etc) entered into force

Each on of the 27 states has it own court auditors and they are extremely incompetent. In my state our auditors only defined the rules for disclosing spending with Covid-19 in June, 3 months after the outbreak so in April and May each city could use federal revenues for whatever they want WITHOUT REPORTING ACCOUNTS. When will our court audit that? Probably only in 2 years, because right now they are still auditing 2018 

Will you be surprised if I say our public information access law was signed only in 2011?

I meant that they cannot elevate the price alone by as much as the SRP we get. Those have to involve more than just tax. 

And I wouldn't be surprised that the bureaucracy in charge of Brazil is essentially pitch black. 

You seem to actually be in dire need of a revolution, much as I'm against the idea of brutal takeovers. 

Ok so official price is 3000 BRL, or 560 USD

No way for it to sell well in the middle of a huge economic recession. Switch was doing well here when people was selling it for 1800-2000 BRL and middle class was doing all right

Hope the games will sell better at least