By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Switch placeholder has now been pulled from Amazon UK.

JWeinCom said:
This was really the one Wii game where the standard definition graphics bothered me. It just wasn't a good match for the art style of Skyward Sword, which was great. Usually don't buy remakes, but I'd pick this one up assuming it's well done.

All I want are upscaled gfx and traditional control options and I'm sold. Fixing the things TruckOSaurus said would absolutely be bonuses but certainly not necessary.

Running SS in Dolphin looks a LOT better than native, WITHOUT any touching up, already. However, you can see how they have filters on - which are easily removed - and you can tell that many of the textures were *designed* at higher-res and downscaled to fit. Almost certainly, Nintendo would be able to simply use the original higher-res textures & change/remove the filters, and bam. "Remastered" SS suddenly looks beautiful.

As for traditional controls, I'm playing SS on Dolphin with an Xbone controller. No motion controls at all. Any motion "required", I have mapped to traditional options - the Wiimote pointer is mapped to the right stick, and I have Wiimote waggle mapped to the left shoulder button/trigger. C and Z are mapped to the right per my preference. But the point is - even with the game itself still designed for motion control, traditional works well! No reason the game couldn't be very easily updated to allow traditional (and I would like traditional + gyro aim - like BotW uses - myself).

Edit: Admittedly, I posted this when I had almost JUST started the game. Now that I've gotten a bit further, I've needed to modify my settings a bit. My memories of this game had that I only needed waggle for swinging the sword, and even then, I didn't have to do it much and could get by with a simple horizontal waggle. Turns out, I remembered the game poorly. There's a lot more waggle needed than I thought - but it's still easily covered with a modern controller, even without the controller's motion input!

Last edited by thetonestarr - on 19 August 2020

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
JWeinCom said:
This was really the one Wii game where the standard definition graphics bothered me. It just wasn't a good match for the art style of Skyward Sword, which was great. Usually don't buy remakes, but I'd pick this one up assuming it's well done.

All I want are upscaled gfx and traditional control options and I'm sold. Fixing the things TruckOSaurus said would absolutely be bonuses but certainly not necessary.

Running SS in Dolphin looks a LOT better than native, WITHOUT any touching up, already. However, you can see how they have filters on - which are easily removed - and you can tell that many of the textures were *designed* at higher-res and downscaled to fit. Almost certainly, Nintendo would be able to simply use the original higher-res textures & change/remove the filters, and bam. "Remastered" SS suddenly looks beautiful.

As for traditional controls, I'm playing SS on Dolphin with an Xbone controller. No motion controls at all. Any motion "required", I have mapped to traditional options - the Wiimote pointer is mapped to the right stick, and I have Wiimote waggle mapped to the left shoulder button/trigger. C and Z are mapped to the right per my preference. But the point is - even with the game itself still designed for motion control, traditional works well! No reason the game couldn't be very easily updated to allow traditional (and I would like traditional + gyro aim - like BotW uses - myself).

Edit: Admittedly, I posted this when I had almost JUST started the game. Now that I've gotten a bit further, I've needed to modify my settings a bit. My memories of this game had that I only needed waggle for swinging the sword, and even then, I didn't have to do it much and could get by with a simple horizontal waggle. Turns out, I remembered the game poorly. There's a lot more waggle needed than I thought - but it's still easily covered with a modern controller, even without the controller's motion input!

There's a lot of stuff that would work very poorly without motion controls. You could make it work on a standard controller, in the same way you play Smash on a Wiimote. It'd be possible, but incredibly awkward and less enjoyable.

JWeinCom said:
thetonestarr said:

There's a lot of stuff that would work very poorly without motion controls. You could make it work on a standard controller, in the same way you play Smash on a Wiimote. It'd be possible, but incredibly awkward and less enjoyable.

When I have it working as intended, it's working 100% as well as motion controls. The problem is, the software isn't translating properly. I press left for waggle, my loftwing goes right. I press right, my loftwing goes right. No reason that should happen, it's weird. But loftwing control 100% can be dual analog - I've played countless flight games with dual analog and it worked just fine!

I have yet to get to the first Ghirahim battle - honestly, I may never get there if I can't get my waggle to translate the way it's supposed to - but if I can get there and make it work, I see absolutely no reason at all that fully traditional controls can't work when the game is actually coded for it.

That said, I have no problem with the game using gyro controls for some aspects. The majority of people complaining about motion controls are complaining at how MUCH they're required. Ok, so just have an option to dial it back. Easy-peasy. But I am seeing zero reason so far that they can't give fully traditional control as an option. If you think it would be less enjoyable, that's fine - others may disagree. I've seen plenty of games with far more complex combat systems than SS's, fully mapped to a standard controller, and it was fantastic. Very little in SS that I can see legitimately benefits from motion control - at most, I would say it simply gives a very potentially enjoyable alternative to standard control.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Regardless of whether or not this is real, we know this has to happen eventually, every other 3D Zelda has been remade already, but ah I wish it wasn't so. I'd rather they remake Spirit Tracks, that's how much I dislike this game. Anyway, I'd prefer this to be real actually, just get it over with so I don't have to dread it any longer. xD

thetonestarr said:
JWeinCom said:

When I have it working as intended, it's working 100% as well as motion controls. The problem is, the software isn't translating properly. I press left for waggle, my loftwing goes right. I press right, my loftwing goes right. No reason that should happen, it's weird. But loftwing control 100% can be dual analog - I've played countless flight games with dual analog and it worked just fine!

I have yet to get to the first Ghirahim battle - honestly, I may never get there if I can't get my waggle to translate the way it's supposed to - but if I can get there and make it work, I see absolutely no reason at all that fully traditional controls can't work when the game is actually coded for it.

That said, I have no problem with the game using gyro controls for some aspects. The majority of people complaining about motion controls are complaining at how MUCH they're required. Ok, so just have an option to dial it back. Easy-peasy. But I am seeing zero reason so far that they can't give fully traditional control as an option. If you think it would be less enjoyable, that's fine - others may disagree. I've seen plenty of games with far more complex combat systems than SS's, fully mapped to a standard controller, and it was fantastic. Very little in SS that I can see legitimately benefits from motion control - at most, I would say it simply gives a very potentially enjoyable alternative to standard control.

It has nothing to do with complexity. Kirby Canvas Curse is an incredibly simple game, but would be borderline unplayable with button controls, cause it wasn't designed for that. Many of the bosses are built around how you hold your sword and not just the direction of your swing. Mapping your sword's held position to the right stick would be doable but seems like it would be incredibly awkward. Also, being able to slash in any direction instantly regardless of where you're holding your sword would break certain boss fights. Then you'd need a separate button to actually lift the sword (holding the right stick up would be needed to hold the sword at about shoulder height), a button for thrust (I guess right click would work), another button to shield back/combine with joystick for spin attacks.

Again... they can do it. Like they put touch controls in Bayonetta and made Raving Rabbids work on an XBox controller. But, that doesn't mean it'd work well. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
thetonestarr said:

It has nothing to do with complexity. Kirby Canvas Curse is an incredibly simple game, but would be borderline unplayable with button controls, cause it wasn't designed for that. Many of the bosses are built around how you hold your sword and not just the direction of your swing. Mapping your sword's held position to the right stick would be doable but seems like it would be incredibly awkward. Also, being able to slash in any direction instantly regardless of where you're holding your sword would break certain boss fights. Then you'd need a separate button to actually lift the sword (holding the right stick up would be needed to hold the sword at about shoulder height), a button for thrust (I guess right click would work), another button to shield back/combine with joystick for spin attacks.

Again... they can do it. Like they put touch controls in Bayonetta and made Raving Rabbids work on an XBox controller. But, that doesn't mean it'd work well. 

You're looking at it wrong. What I'm demonstrating is that it works without even changing the game. What I'm saying is they could make small changes to the game for traditional controls. You want the original boss fights? Play motion version. You want more 'standard' boss fights? They'll play differently, but sure, play standard control mode.

Touching up game mechanics is a very common practice with re-releases. No reason they couldn't do that [optionally] for this. It'd be really cool to experience it in both ways, honestly.

SW-5120-1900-6153