By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Switch placeholder has now been pulled from Amazon UK.

mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:
I think it's one of the best Zelda games ever made. I actually enjoyed motion controls and I didn't see the linearity of the game as something bad at all... Which are usually the main concearns people usually have with SS.

How could you!?? LINEARITY IS THE BANE OF VIDEO GAMES

I'm so sorry... It won't happen again :(

*boots up Metroid Other M*

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Phantom Hourglass was great. Being able to do things like guide your boomerang made the touch controls revolutionary. Spirit Tracks was almost as good, but kinda prone to a lot of sequelitis, and kinda short. 

Spirit Tracks had a much better soundtrack and didn't have a Temple of the Ocean King. Far better game I'd say.

What is the complaint about Temple of the Ocean King? Just that it was repetitive? Because Skyward Sword had the Imprisoned, which you could have fought up to 6 times to get the Hylian Shield, and 3 mandatory times. It seems like you feel very strongly about the game based on your responses, but there are valid criticisms to Skyward Sword.  

Anyways, to reply to this rumor, I hope its true. I'm just so sick of rumors right now. But Skyward Sword can benefit a lot from quality of life improvements. Wind Waker went from one of my least favourite games to one of my favourite games with the HD version improvements. 

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
mZuzek said:

Spirit Tracks had a much better soundtrack and didn't have a Temple of the Ocean King. Far better game I'd say.

What is the complaint about Temple of the Ocean King? Just that it was repetitive? Because Skyward Sword had the Imprisoned, which you could have fought up to 6 times to get the Hylian Shield, and 3 mandatory times. It seems like you feel very strongly about the game based on your responses, but there are valid criticisms to Skyward Sword.  

Anyways, to reply to this rumor, I hope its true. I'm just so sick of rumors right now. But Skyward Sword can benefit a lot from quality of life improvements. Wind Waker went from one of my least favourite games to one of my favourite games with the HD version improvements. 

The Imprisoned is just one boss fight and it had a different element/twist to it each time. And if you're playing on Hero Mode with the beefed up Master Sword, you can beat it in 2-5 minutes each time.

Temple of the Ocean King is an entire fucking dungeon. A MASSIVE one at that. And you had to go back to it and solve the same puzzles again every single time.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 16 August 2020

mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:
I think it's one of the best Zelda games ever made. I actually enjoyed motion controls and I didn't see the linearity of the game as something bad at all... Which are usually the main concearns people usually have with SS.

No, but it's bad in a Zelda game. Even if more open-ended Zelda games follow a linear narrative, the game still has a world to explore. Remove that and you remove the basis of Zelda. Tho I am glad SS exists because it gave us BOTW in response. BOTW is what Zelda should be as it was in the very beginning.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
mZuzek said:

No, but it's bad in a Zelda game. Even if more open-ended Zelda games follow a linear narrative, the game still has a world to explore. Remove that and you remove the basis of Zelda. Tho I am glad SS exists because it gave us BOTW in response. BOTW is what Zelda should be as it was in the very beginning.

Yeah. The core of Zelda is action-adventure exploration a dangerous world, SS ripped out this. Then, is a bad Zelda game. 

Around the Network

SS port is fine as long as they also bring that WW HD port. In terms of old Zelda games all I want is Wind Waker!

Or you know just do an HD WW/TP/SS Collection next year, that'd make everyone happy.

mZuzek said:
Leynos said:

Right, so you have no problems with the empty, boring overworlds of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but Skyward Sword doesn't get that free pass because... reasons? I mean, I'll admit that the sky was quite dull and empty and uninteresting, but the previous 3D Zeldas didn't fare much better either. The overworlds in those games were nothing more than an empty space you traversed through on your way to the next dungeon or story segment, there was rarely anything interesting to find.

Either way, open-ended exploration might have been the basis of Zelda originally, but the franchise expanded far beyond just that over the years, and the reality is that most games in the series don't have open-ended exploration at all. Skyward Sword is just the only one that did it openly, admittedly cut that whole part of the game off and focused on the other aspects the series grew to be known for, such as the puzzles, the dungeons, the story, the characters. And it was a fantastic game. Just because it doesn't fit what your expectations of a Zelda game are, doesn't make it a bad game nor a bad Zelda game. The Zelda series is, fortunately, about a lot more than what you like about it.

Thankfully for me, I was able to find a favorite game ever in Skyward Sword, and also greatly enjoyed Breath of the Wild. They're the two finest games in the series by some margin I'd say. So, I got more enjoyment than you.

TP sucks. Wind Waker had islands to discover.  Also was not giving me a tutorial in the final areas of the game. If you remove a huge aspect of a series. That's the opposite of expanding. Enjoy it all you want. No one is saying you can't, It's still a bad Zelda game. Zelda series is just up and down. Some great. Some good. Some mediocre and just some plain bad games like any series.

mZuzek said:
Leynos said:

TP sucks. Wind Waker had islands to discover.  Also was not giving me a tutorial in the final areas of the game. If you remove a huge aspect of a series. That's the opposite of expanding. Enjoy it all you want. No one is saying you can't, It's still a bad Zelda game. Zelda series is just up and down. Some great. Some good. Some mediocre and just some plain bad games like any series.

If you take away one aspect and add another two, are you expanding? From that point of view, I think it's pretty simple math.

Either way, yeah, Skyward Sword didn't expand the series into any new territory, it brought nothing new other than its gimmicky controls. The series' expansion happened over the years and over the games, but most notably A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Skyward Sword just focused on those elements (all of them other than exploration) and made them as good as ever.

Unneeded aspects that hold the series back. Even if it does add anything it's one step forward and  3 steps back.

The meltdowns

I love SS for its dungeons, brilliant puzzles, level design, characters, story and the NPC-related side quests, but I don't  think I'd buy it again.

I'm so confused as to whether SS is good or not, I never got it on Wii. Some people say its terrible, some people say it's one of the best Zeldas. Some people love its motion controls, some people hate them.

Since Nintendo just needs to port TP and WW HD games from Wii U and don't need to do extra work on those it'd be real nice if they just HD'd up SS and put them all in a collection for the 35th anniversary. Otherwise I probably won't ever bother trying SS because no way am I gonna spend $60 on a spruced up "deluxe" version of it.

Anyway, nothing wrong with putting SS on Switch, as long as they get other Zeldas on there as well. I'm assuming the next Nintendo system will be backward compatible, so Nintendo is basically just setting up an available library that spans multiple generations and will be playable for multiple generations - some GC/Wii era remasters, Wii U ports, Switch and beyond, and anything before GC eventually on the VC service. Just as long as they don't start releasing individual games original from GC/Wii, that aren't remade, for $60 a pop!