By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I'm Keeping my Switch, and Digital Refunds!

Tagged games:

Barkley said:
Trunkin said:
Everything you said is fair, OP. Nintendo has a lot of BS practices that I ignore because they don't affect me, but that doesn't change the fact that they're BS. I didn't realize that it was standard for digital storefronts to have a return policy these days, though. I remember that everyone was fighting for steam to implement them and they finally did it a few years ago. I kinda thought it was just steam now. Did M$ and Sony follow suit?

Microsofts policy is exactly the same as Steams, Sony allow refunds within 14 days but not if you downloaded the game. UPlay/Sony need to catch up and add either the under 2 hours played, or the within 24 hours of first use policy that the others use. Nintendo are the worst of all and don't even do that.

Good

Steam - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
Origin - Refund any game within 24 hours of first launch or within 2 weeks of purchase.
Epic Game Store - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
Microsoft - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
GOG - full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it.
Stadia - You can request a refund within 14 days of your purchase if there is less than 2 hours of play time

Bad

Uplay - Refund within 2 weeks if game not accessed.
Sony - Refund within 2 weeks if game not accessed.

Terrible

Nintendo - "We are unable to provide refunds or exchanges for mistaken purchases, and/or if you don't like the game."

Uplay Sony and Nintendo need to sort their shit out.

Especially given that Sony will run into problems with this if people but their DIGITAL ONLY PS5, that's just asking for issues. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

LOL. The sympathy Ninty heretic, apostate or even just harsh critic users receive from Ninty talibans orthodoxes (don't get angry reasonable majority of Ninty users, I'm not referring to you) looks like what Michael Jackson received from Jehovah's Witlesses.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Barkley said:

Microsofts policy is exactly the same as Steams, Sony allow refunds within 14 days but not if you downloaded the game. UPlay/Sony need to catch up and add either the under 2 hours played, or the within 24 hours of first use policy that the others use. Nintendo are the worst of all and don't even do that.

Good

Origin - Refund any game within 24 hours of first launch or within 2 weeks of purchase.
Epic Game Store - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
Microsoft - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
GOG - full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it.
Stadia - You can request a refund within 14 days of your purchase if there is less than 2 hours of play time

Bad

Terrible

Nintendo - "We are unable to provide refunds or exchanges for mistaken purchases, and/or if you don't like the game."

Uplay Sony and Nintendo need to sort their shit out.

Especially given that Sony will run into problems with this if people but their DIGITAL ONLY PS5, that's just asking for issues. 

I hope EU and US laws on end users protection will eventually force them to adopt more consumer-friendly policies, possibly after the first tribunal defeats, without stubbornly waiting for more and worse ones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Barkley said:
Trunkin said:
Everything you said is fair, OP. Nintendo has a lot of BS practices that I ignore because they don't affect me, but that doesn't change the fact that they're BS. I didn't realize that it was standard for digital storefronts to have a return policy these days, though. I remember that everyone was fighting for steam to implement them and they finally did it a few years ago. I kinda thought it was just steam now. Did M$ and Sony follow suit?

Good

Bad

Terrible

Woah! Thanks for the info dump. I don't know why, but I'm honestly surprised that Microsoft and EA have parity with Steam on this front. The way you described GoG though sounds almost too good to be true. Is it really "no questions asked" for those 30 days? What if you finished the entire game in that time?

Trunkin said:

Woah! Thanks for the info dump. I don't know why, but I'm honestly surprised that Microsoft and EA have parity with Steam on this front. The way you described GoG though sounds almost too good to be true. Is it really "no questions asked" for those 30 days? What if you finished the entire game in that time?

It seems once you've played the game GoG's refund only applies if the game is broken and doesn't work, so it's not as great as it first appears.

If you've not downloaded or played the game you can get a refund no questions asked.

If you have downloaded and played the game then you will only be refunded if tech support cannot get the game to work on your system.

"At GOG.COM, we're confident in the quality of the games we sell and the work that we put into getting them ready for you to play them. If a game that you've bought on GOG.COM doesn't work and our team of expert Support staff can't solve the problem for you, we will give you back your money. If you absolutely refuse to try anything, we won't be able to determine whether the problem can be fixed or not, and won't be able to issue a refund."

Last edited by Barkley - on 15 August 2020

Around the Network

Well... you fork out $$$ for a digital download that turns out to be worth nothing when you try to resell. This is why they *want* to move away from easily to resell physical copies.

There's always a reason that a game may not be what you wanted - maybe it makes you motion sick, or something. That's why you buy it on a disk or cart. You may not be able to return it to the store after you break the seal, but you can always sell it or give it to a friend as a present/swap.

Barkley said:
Trunkin said:

It seems once you've played the game GoG's refund only applies if the game is broken and doesn't work, so it's not as great as it first appears.

If you've not downloaded or played the game you can get a refund no questions asked.

If you have downloaded and played the game then you will only be refunded if tech support cannot get the game to work on your system.

"At GOG.COM, we're confident in the quality of the games we sell and the work that we put into getting them ready for you to play them. If a game that you've bought on GOG.COM doesn't work and our team of expert Support staff can't solve the problem for you, we will give you back your money. If you absolutely refuse to try anything, we won't be able to determine whether the problem can be fixed or not, and won't be able to issue a refund."

Ok, now that seems more reasonable. I guess with it being a storefront for mainly legacy software this kind of policy does make sense for them.

Leynos said:
Hynad said:

Yes, toxic. But you’re part of it so I’m not surprised by the response.

Just because there are more toxic places on the internet doesn’t make the responses the OP got by some of you not toxic.

The tone of your post just became the kettle. So whatevs man.

Expected again. Because I point out the poor responses the OP got, and instead of looking at yourself with introspection, and realize the responses he got were unwarranted and unnecessary harsh and made to ridicule him, you try to mirror it back at me... 

The two aren’t even close to being the same. But nice try, I guess.

Hynad said:
Leynos said:

The tone of your post just became the kettle. So whatevs man.

Expected again. Because I point out the poor responses the OP got, and instead of looking at yourself with introspection, and realize the responses he got were unwarranted and unnecessary harsh and made to ridicule him, you try to mirror it back at me... 

That awkward moment when someone who has a history of unwarranted responses, such as calling people out for uttering a certain R word and Xenoblade in the same sentence when it has no relation to the actual topic, wants to complain about people having toxic and unwarranted responses.

All stirring the pot does, is cause more toxinity withing the subject.  Let it go.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Hynad said:

That awkward moment when someone who has a history of unwarranted responses, such as calling people out for uttering a certain R word and Xenoblade in the same sentence when it has no relation to the actual topic, wants to complain about people having toxic and unwarranted responses.

All stirring the pot does, is cause more toxinity withing the subject.  Let it go.

You're telling me to let it go, while demonstrating you can't let go of that old argument. LOL.

Just stop.