By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - apple/google vs epic mobile warfare where is nikkom when you need him

yes for now because thats what epic debates is illegal

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

but the APP STORE is an app
there could be an EPIC STORE/STEAM/UPLAY/XCLOUD APP if the payment systems weren't blocked by the OS developers

there is a difference between the OS and the fucking APP
THE APP STORE HAS A MONOPOLY ON IOS

The KNVB has a monopoly on recruiting Dutch players to a national football team.

Morocco begs to differ

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
yes for now because thats what epic debates is illegal

What Epic argues and what it is right now are two different things.

That's what people have been trying to tell you. As far as what Apple does(or any console or store owner does, for that matter), is completely legal.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

a monopoly is perfectly legal in so far in the USA until it violates the antitrust act

The way you keep citing monopoly this, monopoly that, and also go "does Steam have a monopoly on PC?", you're starting to sound and think a lot like Timmy. We've all been trying to tell you that it's different here. You need to stop looking at this through the eyes of an egotistical billionaire CEO.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
The way you keep citing monopoly this, monopoly that, and also go "does Steam have a monopoly on PC?", you're starting to sound and think a lot like Timmy. We've all been trying to tell you that it's different here. You need to stop looking at this through the eyes of an egotistical billionaire CEO.

I was quoting kapi who said steam was a monopoly >.>

theRepublic said:
DonFerrari said:

I hope we can get to a point where the other companies don't need to pay royalties to Sony to launch the game on console, but also get no access to the devkits and whatnot. Just because Sony is thriving with themselves fully controling their system (but also enjoy putting their app on ios, android and some games on PC) doesn't mean it is good or worse fair. Sony isn't mandated to sell HW for a loss, they just do because that is what bring more profit to them under current model.

Are you trying to say you want to go back to the early 1980s, where a lot of crappy unlicensed software showed up on consoles with the console manufacturers being able to do absolutely nothing about it?  You do realize that caused a market crash right?  There is a reason the licensing and royalty model exists.

With over 4000 titles on PS4 we are on similar situation to that in quantity. You want to buy from safe places you can, you want to venture on a different store and unknow dev? Well you should be able to. It isn`t like Apple, Sony or any of these are really doing serious quality control on the fud on the store. Just look for the review of several of the games there and you`ll see there is plenty of trash.

The reason the model exist is because companies were able to get away with forcing you to only use the HW you bought the way they want you to use.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

I hope we can get to a point where the other companies don't need to pay royalties to Sony to launch the game on console, but also get no access to the devkits and whatnot. Just because Sony is thriving with themselves fully controling their system (but also enjoy putting their app on ios, android and some games on PC) doesn't mean it is good or worse fair. Sony isn't mandated to sell HW for a loss, they just do because that is what bring more profit to them under current model.

Realistically, how would that work? 

This is a classic case of "be careful when you chase out my demons you may chase out the angels too".

Publishers make games for platforms that they believe would make them the most amount of money. The cheapest and most user-friendly gaming platform to get into are consoles. And someone has to make those consoles. And even if we are looking at a post console future, someone has to make and maintain the servers that host the games people stream.

These publishers and in turn their games wouldn't have a platform to thrive on or exist if someone doesn't make said platform. 

The alternative is for all games to be based on Linux (and even that is made by someone) as their only supported platform and just have anyone interested in gaming to build a PC or get a Linux based laptop. But that kinda decentralization would be 1000 times more complicated and disjointed than anything we have today.

Because Windows-based PC gaming isn't the answer. Trust me, if MS ever finds themselves in a situation where the only gaming platform out there is the PC, people would be shocked how much worse than apple MS can be.

kirby007 said:
Nautilus said:

IOS is their product... it would be the same as saying MCDonalds has a monopoly on MCDonalds and they should "open up"

WRONG if we were to translate your example with what apple does means there is no competition for mcdo, no burgerking/wendies etc :)

It's correct, Burger KING, Wendy's, King's Fatty Chicken, Pizza Hunt, Taco Bull, Star Bucks all can't compete within Mcdonalds.

Additionally:

Mcdonalds owns MORE market share of the chain restaurants than Apple does of Smartphones.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
kirby007 said:

WRONG if we were to translate your example with what apple does means there is no competition for mcdo, no burgerking/wendies etc :)

It's correct, Burger KING, Wendy's, King's Fatty Chicken, Pizza Hunt, Taco Bull, Star Bucks all can't compete within Mcdonalds.

Additionally:

Mcdonalds owns MORE market share of the chain restaurants than Apple does of Smartphones.

If I'm Burger King I pretty content with 11 billion in sales.  Can't believe so many people still eat that junk.  I haven't been to McDonald or Burger King, KFC, or Taco Bell in over a decade.  I have been to Wendy's a few times in the last 10 years though.