By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - apple/google vs epic mobile warfare where is nikkom when you need him

Nautilus said:
DonFerrari said:

What I'm saying is that Apple dosen't own you anything. Giving warranty or not is up to the manufacturer, be it of cars or phones. We would be in a dictatorship if companies were forced to give things like that, assuming they are not giving you a faulty product. That's where competition comes in, and that's why products and services gets better/cheaper. You should be responsible for your own actions be it dropping your phone and it breaking, and yes, risking not paying for assurance and getting your phone stolen.

If the product isn`t faulty then the warranty don`t even get used. Warranty is basically calculated on a statistical hypothesis of how many products will fail before a certain timeline. The average for durable products is one year, in Brazil by law if I`m not wrong is 3 months. Unless it is a hidden defect that you can`t see from regular use, that would make the warranty coverage basically indefinitive (for manufacturing defects of course). I don`t remember iPhones getting cheaper.

If it was against the law, Apple wouldn't be able to sell products there, dear Don. But since I know as a fact that Apple can indeed sell phones there, your either lying or just plain mistaken.Well yes, if the car is faulty from the manufacturing, of course the manufacturer is responsible. But that's not what we were discussing was it? It was about charging not the final customer, but rather other companies, to be able to use the syustem that they keep, develop and gives tons of assurances(like stability, fraud assurance, etc).For a car the final customer is responsible for it, assuming it isn't faulty. For platforms(the OS) the manufacturer itself is responsible for it. You may not like it, but that's how it works

A lot of contracts are against law. If they weren`t companies wouldn`t ever lose a claim. The fact that most customers don`t care and don`t prosecute keeps they doing that but doesn`t change that they are breaking the law. Just like parking lots here say they aren`t responsible for whatever is inside the car, but if your car is stolen, damage or just what is inside is stolen they would still be responsible. Same as any contract that contains illegal claims, it is just null.

You don't really know what monopoly means, do you? Well, I think that closes that discussion.

Yes I do, but you seem to not understand that monopolistic practices aren`t only from a company that own much over 50% of the marketshare. If you have a company that have 25% of the market and let`s say the second biggest is no higher than 5%, that company do hold much more power than all others and can in fact employ monopolistic practices to squeze the other companies like you guess forcing lower prices for suppliers, higher price for customers, dumping to force other companies to close, forcing exclusivity sourcing deals.

Regarding the other part: Yeah, Google and some other companies do different. So what? Apple chooses to do different, and it works. It's not wether you like it or not. If it were up to me, I wouldn't want to pay 1 cent. But it isn't about me or you. And Apple is really sucessful, which means that people are largely okay with it.

The fact that a lot of people accept it doesn`t make it moral, right or legal.

I don't want poor trilionare Apple to have more rights. I want their current rights respected, just as I want our current rights respected. It's easy to defend something when it's favorable to you, isn't it? But if it were the other way around, it becomes way harder. I'm just being honest to myself.

This isn`t in my favor or against me. I have gone away from iPhone, never put a cent on any app or in-app purchase. My wife have bought some apps for our children though. And sorry but as far as I know there is no law that would allow them to keep their system closed, reason why they lost lawsuit against jailbreak from what I remember.

And yeah, that's why I always try to buy physical, because i don't fully trust what a contract says or in a company with no face. That's why you all need to put your money where your mouth is. Want to support ownership? Buy physical. Or at least don't support Stadia.

So if companies decide that your physical copy won`t work without the internet you wouldn`t have any problem since that is their right, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:
That is an interesting battle. For me it is valid that Apple and Google receive comission for the app sold, but inside the purchases made inside the app shouldn`t keep giving revenue to them. And if the result of this is Playstation having to allow other stores inside it or even more broad, that anyone can release their game or app and Sony can`t block it, so be it.

How much does Fortnite cost again? $0?

So the "fair" deal is that Apple and Google provide huge platforms for Epic, but Epic is the only company that is supposed to profit from it?

Fairness stops when you become a megacorporation that rakes in billions every month by not paying taxes and using their market domination to keep others out of the market. And considering that those companies do indeed still make billions in profit I would say things have been extremely fair for them. One might even say they have unfair advantages that need to be checked once in a while. So your fairness card doesn't really work here.

Saying that Apple and Google do not profit from big games on their platforms is simply wrong. Or else they wouldn't allow F2P games on their platforms in the first place.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:

How much does Fortnite cost again? $0?

So the "fair" deal is that Apple and Google provide huge platforms for Epic, but Epic is the only company that is supposed to profit from it?

Fairness stops when you become a megacorporation that rakes in billions every month by not paying taxes and using their market domination to keep others out of the market. And considering that those companies do indeed still make billions in profit I would say things have been extremely fair for them. One might even say they have unfair advantages that need to be checked once in a while. So your fairness card doesn't really work here.

Saying that Apple and Google do not profit from big games on their platforms is simply wrong. Or else they wouldn't allow F2P games on their platforms in the first place.

Why hate on Apple?  For the past 20 years, anyone can have a free iphone, ipad, or macbook whenever you want one.  Simply buy some Apple stock, wait a little bit and cash out for big profit...works every time.

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

Looks like you forgot that Epic is a big corporation itself, even one that expects the companies that use their very own Epic Games Store to pay royalties to them.

Your second paragraph is a plain strawman argument. I guess the intent with your entire post was to one-up kirby's trolling in this thread.

How does it matter that epic is a multidollarcompany?

The essence of the argument doesnt change no matter who brings it up

And the esssence being ofc apple and googles dictatorship rivaling every great dictator in the past present and future

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I view it like this the apple store is IE with IE having the option to block all other browsers.
The google store is IE with IE allowing other browsers but having to use IE in the background, which you can bypass by having a usb with a different browser preinstalled.

Just make it so that IE makes it possible to download and use other browsers without interference.

Its silly on pc and mac you can do whatever but phones/mobile devices are locked

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Does Apple block Safari from going to Epic's store and buying vbucks directly?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

How kind of Apple, Google, and Epic to arrange this distraction from our 2020 miseries.

kirby007 said:
Intrinsic said:

No. Fortnite is free to play. And the money it makes comes from mxt. 

You can't piggyback off a platform that a company spent billions and decades to build, use aid platform to reach n even wider audience, then now go onto cutting off the platform from making money from said game. 

What epic is doing here is vile.

pardon? quite sure they make enough money on hardware and services to not charge 30% as does google.

while epic does smear apple here the idea behind it it great in theory.
suppose the cut goes to 15% that means devs get 15% more for the same amount of sales wich is good for the dev or if devs are chads give a discount

EDIT not saying epic is great but just saying NO because they tend to be scum aswell doesn't remove the fact that they have a darn good point:
 we need more options as consumers

Lol...

I don't et what is happening here.

So the issue here now is who wants to make more money? Is it apples fault that they have done well for themselves in other areas? mind you, I actually hate apple,I do not have a single apple product. But this whole thing is simple, if you have a platform, you have a right to charge whatever you to anyone that is using your platform. If they don't like it, then they can move along.

I don't see anyone complaining about the 30% steam ALSO takes from sales on its platform (even though they usually end up with more than that).

But here is the real kicker, Epic decides to cut out the middle man, but yet keep prices of the MTX items the same. Doesn't that mean the only reason they are doing this is so they make more for themselves? 

Lets call it what it is here, there's nothing noble or good about what Epic is doing here. I don't care what they wanna charge for their game or how, but it's simple if they want to tap into the reach platforms like iOS, Google play, PSN, XBL...etc offers, then you should be willing to pay for that. The same way a retailer gets a cut simply from selling your products. But if you want to cut them out? Then by all means you should be willing to go it all on your own.

You don't cut them out then take them to court when they cut you off their platform too lol.

Intrinsic said:
kirby007 said:

pardon? quite sure they make enough money on hardware and services to not charge 30% as does google.

while epic does smear apple here the idea behind it it great in theory.
suppose the cut goes to 15% that means devs get 15% more for the same amount of sales wich is good for the dev or if devs are chads give a discount

EDIT not saying epic is great but just saying NO because they tend to be scum aswell doesn't remove the fact that they have a darn good point:
 we need more options as consumers

Lol...

I don't et what is happening here.

So the issue here now is who wants to make more money? Is it apples fault that they have done well for themselves in other areas? mind you, I actually hate apple,I do not have a single apple product. But this whole thing is simple, if you have a platform, you have a right to charge whatever you to anyone that is using your platform. If they don't like it, then they can move along.

I don't see anyone complaining about the 30% steam ALSO takes from sales on its platform (even though they usually end up with more than that).

But here is the real kicker, Epic decides to cut out the middle man, but yet keep prices of the MTX items the same. Doesn't that mean the only reason they are doing this is so they make more for themselves? 

Lets call it what it is here, there's nothing noble or good about what Epic is doing here. I don't care what they wanna charge for their game or how, but it's simple if they want to tap into the reach platforms like iOS, Google play, PSN, XBL...etc offers, then you should be willing to pay for that. The same way a retailer gets a cut simply from selling your products. But if you want to cut them out? Then by all means you should be willing to go it all on your own.

You don't cut them out then take them to court when they cut you off their platform too lol.

But on the pc platform you can make an alternative to steam...

kirby007 said:

But on the pc platform you can make an alternative to steam...

Yeah, and look how that turned out...

barebones, shit, a road map they've long since abandoned, playing catch up in terms of features Valve has had for years or recently pout out, and yet Epic has billions enough to funnel some into R&D, hiring more people to get the job done, but they don't care about how the store looks and Tim admitted this from the start.

I'ts not about us, it's "about the devs". So yeah, they made their "alternative" and they hardly care about it, does that somehow still make them noble though?, no, it doesn't, it shows they don't actually give a flying fuck about customer quality.

There is virtually nothing noble about Epic in this case at all, and as Jim states, it's about the fucking money, and that's all it will ever be about. Abandon the grave delusion that Epic cares about sunshine and rainbows, peace and love, because that is not what they are about as a company. 

if they were truly noble, they wouldn't be dicking around with their own storefront and network/engine and instead be more open to other venues from existing companies, y'know, trying to work with them, instead of pulling this childish stint of "my way or the high way, my network, my crossplay or fuck off". 

Last edited by Chazore - on 14 August 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"