By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - apple/google vs epic mobile warfare where is nikkom when you need him

Intrinsic said:
kirby007 said:

But on the pc platform you can make an alternative to steam...

That's because the PC platform has so far been an open platform. And being open comes with its own quirks. First, you see multiple stores, then you start seeing "store" exclusives. And before you know what. you start to see content specific to certain stores within games available on both stores. Its just competition, its just business. All these people are in it to make money.

Lets put our personal biases (god or bad) towards any company aside and look at this practically. I am going to use Playstation as an example here since I am most familiar with them, but what I am saying is applicable to everyone in some way or the other.

1. You set out to build a new console. You spend hundreds of millions to billions of dollars on R&D, infrastructure, and marketing. You release your product. If this product fails, it's all on you. You absorb all the losses associated with that product.
  2. Now you have created a product that can and will be sold to as many people as possible. You even do things like take a loss on the hardware to enable you to come in at a price that would allow you to sell as many consoles as possible.
  3. The cornerstone of this business model is that you make money from the actual sales of software on your platform.
  4. Then someone comes along, decides they want to tap into the users on the platform you have created, but also decides they don't want you getting a dime from them and they instead make all the money?

How is that fair?

An argument can be made that publishers can push for platform holders to take less money from them, but you will find that platform holders would require certain things from the publisher in turn (again, it's a business) eg.. fine, we will drop what we take from you for every game sold from30% to 5%, as long as you make your game exclusive to our platform.

That just how it works, and its a fair system.

I hope we can get to a point where the other companies don't need to pay royalties to Sony to launch the game on console, but also get no access to the devkits and whatnot. Just because Sony is thriving with themselves fully controling their system (but also enjoy putting their app on ios, android and some games on PC) doesn't mean it is good or worse fair. Sony isn't mandated to sell HW for a loss, they just do because that is what bring more profit to them under current model.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

On the one hand I am all for open platforms. I am also fine with a company keeping their platform closed too, it is their choice, but I do prefer an open platform hence I tend to have/use Windows more than I do MacOS.

Still. I use Google Play Store exclusively, despite owning two Amazon Fire tablets (had to side load the store). I use Steam and will never, ever, never ever, not ever use the EPIC Store.

Do I think Apple needs to loosen its requirements on their Store to allow for platforms like XCloud and Playstation Now? Hells yeah. Probably should lower the 30% take too.

Epic has no standing against Google.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Its only a fair system because it benefits those that can shout the loudest and guess who those are.
Monopoly breeds inferior service and products but this is not really noticeable due to having a loyal fanbase that will mitigate the inferior products for you.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Look if epic is allowed their own storefront that means others can aswell, that means my uplay/origin purchases in the future can be played on ios
Stop being shortsighted and think this will only effect epic, it will open up for everyone

It's not even remotely short sighted, because some of us don't want to let a Trojan horse inside our space. You seem to think Epic will stop acting hostile when things are "open". So when are games going to get vastly cheaper?, they promised this when they first entered the ring in a "serious" manner, and that still has yet to happen. 

When are we going to see a truly open network, that isn't just going to be run by Epic?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

kirby007 said:
Its only a fair system because it benefits those that can shout the loudest and guess who those are.
Monopoly breeds inferior service and products but this is not really noticeable due to having a loyal fanbase that will mitigate the inferior products for you.

Well yeah, that's why Epic made a shitty and vastly inferior storefront...oh wait, no, they have tons of money and were free to make their own store, except they then paid devs to ignore their competition in an obviously anti-competitive manner.

You seem to think Apple is in the wrong, but Epic isn't and you call us short sighted?. Come on Kirby, get it together man, get that head right on straight. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 14 August 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network

could you stop focussing on epic for one second?

first of all i have said multiple times epic is just as much scum as apple and google are, but the point made is 100% valid

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

could you stop focussing on epic for one second?

first of all i have said multiple times epic is just as much scum as apple and google are, but the point made is 100% valid

Can you quote for one moment?.

Also the topic is about Epic, about Fornite being removed from Apple IOS store and now Google play store. It has everything to do with the topic.

kirby007 said:
Look if epic is allowed their own storefront that means others can aswell, that means my uplay/origin purchases in the future can be played on ios
Stop being shortsighted and think this will only effect epic, it will open up for everyone

Epic is allowed their sotrefront on PC, where it is open for everyone.

Apple is a closed platform, that they curate. You don't have a leg to stand on, stop being shortsighted.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

kirby007 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You can make alternatives to Apple for mobiles too. Alternatives already exist even.

Apple don't have a monopoly. They have a monopoly on their own product (just like Amazon have a monopoly on Amazon.com or Gamestop have a monopoly in Gamestop stores), but that's all.

Apple has a monopoly on ios no matter how you feel about that. And thats the case epic makes, apple has a forced monopoly on ios while google has a natural on android because the smartphone manufacturers can add their own store like samsung and wahway

IOS is their product... it would be the same as saying MCDonalds has a monopoly on MCDonalds and they should "open up"

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1