By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

Apple is garbage so I hope they lose.

Hope Apple have to cave and allow XCloud on apple devices too.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
kirby007 said:
can you imagine when you first install your phone they ask which store app do you want to download?

this just blew my mind.

Google is like.... we have a store, I wonder if apple (iphone) users would want to be able to use it?

would give every smartphone user so much options, just like browsers i would use multiple stores for the most amount of freedom and profit for myself

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

John2290 said:
I'm on Apples side here.

What internet explorer do you use on your PC?
Microsofts IE? or Firefox? Crome ect?

At one point, before a anti trust case against microsoft, PCs shipped with only their own Internet Explorer, and was purposefully being difficult, towards others that wanted to make their own versions. Its thanks to that anti trust case, that today you can use other explorers than micrsofts on windows.

This case could be like that, but for storefronts for phones.
This is about the rights of the end user, to install software on their own phones.

JRPGfan said:
John2290 said:
I'm on Apples side here.

What internet explorer do you use on your PC?
Microsofts IE? or Firefox? Crome ect?

safari lmao

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Good, let’s see how this plays out. Frankly Apple being strict gatekeepers is ridiculous and needs to end. As a IOS phone user wanting Xcloud I hope change happens.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Google probably happy they dont have this issue.
And if Apple wins, it might mean they damage their brand abit.
Ei. users next phones could be androids.

Apple loses even if they win.
This isnt a great look for them, comeing right ontop of the backlash from gamepass also not being allowed.

How would that damage Apple's brand? The people who play Fortnite will pay the same amount for microtransactions as they did before if Apple wins the case.

Well you could make the point that Apple is not gaining anything with this and only loses.  In a short time not so much but if this takes a long time it can hurt them.

1) Last week it was Xcloud, This week it is Fortnite...What's next, more could follow...

2)  Apple is already under scrutiny by Congress and by regulators for anticompetitive behavior this case will be not in their favour...

3)  In the Past Apple already had to change some policies,  After the first year if you subscribed to something they only took 15%,  then they had to allow Spotify/Disney+/Netflix customers to pay outside the App store for a subscription...Then they could not take any cut from in game app purchases like MC donalds/pizza Hut/Star Buck.   So on....

4)  Bad Press:  This could make the news, Parents will blow it up with complaining that their child had an amount of $ on his account but can not use it anymore...

Ryuu96 said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes, motivated by money.
So is apple btw.

This doesnt mean that Epic Games doesnt have a case though.

I don't see how they have a case Tbh.

Apple has very clear ToS which Epic would have had to agree to, Epic broke the ToS, Apple removed the app for the violation.

I feel like this lawsuit is going to be a waste of time and Epic will lose.

Fair enough if they attacked Apple's ToS and tried to get them to change them, I feel like the only way that is happening is with EU though, I genuinely believe the only way Apple will change is from an antitrust from EU.

This little fight though? Apple will live, they'll move on, they rolled in money before Fortnite, they'll continue to do after.

And I want Apple's policies to change.

It doesn't matter if Epic breached Apple's terms. Epic is claiming that Apple's monopolistic practices in both the iOS app distribution market and the iOS payment market are an unreasonable restraint of trade under the Sherman Act.

Will Apple's security BS hold?

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes, motivated by money.
So is apple btw.

"can you imagine when you first install your phone they ask which store app do you want to download?" - Kirby

Can you imagine that?
Google probably wants to join on a anti trust case against apple.

Remember computers and windows?
They used to ship only with windows Internet Browser, until they were forced to give people options and treat them the as equals.
Now people can use FireFox, Chrome ect.

This is that,... .but instead of a computer, its now a phone, and stores/software.

These aren't the same situations. Apple makes both the hardware and the software (the OS), so it's all their product. On the other hand, both Google and Microsoft are OS providers who tried to force their software regardless of which hardware the consumer bought. If software providers wanted to have the same control as Apple, they would have to make their own hardware. But that is hard, so they don't do it (anymore).

And if Epic were truly against royalty fees, they wouldn't charge them on their own store. Why do you think they do that?

And microsoft made windows..... and was still forced to allow other internet explorors to compete.
(there was other OS's around, and micrsoft going "theres other places you can go, if you dont like it" didnt work out for them)

Just like apple made the OS, but if other storefronts want to compete, they could be forced to allow it.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes, motivated by money.
So is apple btw.

"can you imagine when you first install your phone they ask which store app do you want to download?" - Kirby

Can you imagine that?
Google probably wants to join on a anti trust case against apple.

Remember computers and windows?
They used to ship only with windows Internet Browser, until they were forced to give people options and treat them the as equals.
Now people can use FireFox, Chrome ect.

This is that,... .but instead of a computer, its now a phone, and stores/software.

These aren't the same situations. Apple makes both the hardware and the software (the OS), so it's all their product. On the other hand, both Google and Microsoft are OS providers who tried to force their software regardless of which hardware the consumer bought. If software providers wanted to have the same control as Apple, they would have to make their own hardware. But that is hard, so they don't do it (anymore).

And if Epic were truly against royalty fees, they wouldn't charge them on their own store. Why do you think they do that?

its something we dont know as nintendo clients, but there is a difference between an absurd royaltyfee or a freemarketfee

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

And microsoft made windows..... and was still forced to allow other internet explorors to compete.
(there was other OS's around, and micrsoft going "theres other places you can go, if you dont like it" didnt work out for them)

Just like apple made the OS, but if other storefronts want to compete, they could be forced to allow it.

Browsers don't collect any money from users, so they aren't comparable to digital storefronts.

Its about consumer rights, about competition, and monopoly practice's that harm the end user.
In that sense, it doesnt matter if its the right to choose a internet exploror, or a storefront.

*Also this same trick that Epic Games pulled..... Apple use it for "Apple Music" on android devices, to cheat google, out of their cut.

Basically Apple complain about Epic games, but they themselves do what Epic games just did.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/hb0jl8/apple_music_on_android_requires_its_own_payment/

"Apple Music on Android requires its own payment details to avoid Google Play's 30% cut. Apple has accused Match, Epic, and Spotify of wanting a 'free ride' while taking one themselves."

Apple are hypocrites.