By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

How would that damage Apple's brand? The people who play Fortnite will pay the same amount for microtransactions as they did before if Apple wins the case.

I think they actually lowered the ingame prices on the microtransactions (ei. passed on the saveings, they wouldnt be paying apple, onto the end users).

Also, its not a matter of "they will pay the same as before".
Its now a matter of, "I cannot play fornite on my phone anymore" for iphone users (apple removed it from store, and made it so it cannot connect to servers).

If they lowered the prices of the microtransactions, then that's just a temporary sale to garner mindshare. Once Epic has succeeded in breaking free from royalty fees, they are bound to return the prices to their original values.

This entire situation is caused by Epic's deliberate breach of contract, but Epic is doing what they can to frame it as the fault of Apple. Why? Because Epic wants more money.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
can you imagine when you first install your phone they ask which store app do you want to download?

this just blew my mind.

Google is like.... we have a store, I wonder if apple (iphone) users would want to be able to use it?

Other developers are also having issues with Apple's nonsense.

Here's an example from Linus Tech Tips on their experience.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

I think they actually lowered the ingame prices on the microtransactions (ei. passed on the saveings, they wouldnt be paying apple, onto the end users).

Also, its not a matter of "they will pay the same as before".
Its now a matter of, "I cannot play fornite on my phone anymore" for iphone users (apple removed it from store, and made it so it cannot connect to servers).

If they lowered the prices of the microtransactions, then that's just a temporary sale to garner mindshare. Once Epic has succeeded in breaking free from royalty fees, they are bound to return the prices to their original values.

This entire situation is caused by Epic's deliberate breach of contract, but Epic is doing what they can to frame it as the fault of Apple. Why? Because Epic wants more money.

Yes, motivated by money.
So is apple btw.

This doesnt mean that Epic Games doesnt have a case though.

"can you imagine when you first install your phone they ask which store app do you want to download?" - Kirby

Can you imagine that?
Google probably wants to join on a anti trust case against apple.

Remember computers and windows?
They used to ship only with windows Internet Browser, until they were forced to give people options and treat them the as equals.
Now people can use FireFox, Chrome ect.

This is that,... .but instead of a computer, its now a phone, and stores/software.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 13 August 2020

Apple is garbage so I hope they lose.

Hope Apple have to cave and allow XCloud on apple devices too.

Around the Network

This is an interesting dilemma . On the one hand, Epic is clearly in the wrong here, you can't just circumvent a store to avoid paying the store that is hosting your game whatever percentage they ask for, imagine if a developer did this on Xbox Store or Playstation Store. On the other hand though, the 30% cut that Apple charges is ridiculous, Epic themselves charge 12% on their PC store (which is less than Valve charges on Steam), while Microsoft takes I think between 5 and 15% depending on how many sales/downloads.

JRPGfan said:
kirby007 said:
can you imagine when you first install your phone they ask which store app do you want to download?

this just blew my mind.

Google is like.... we have a store, I wonder if apple (iphone) users would want to be able to use it?

would give every smartphone user so much options, just like browsers i would use multiple stores for the most amount of freedom and profit for myself

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

John2290 said:
I'm on Apples side here.

What internet explorer do you use on your PC?
Microsofts IE? or Firefox? Crome ect?

At one point, before a anti trust case against microsoft, PCs shipped with only their own Internet Explorer, and was purposefully being difficult, towards others that wanted to make their own versions. Its thanks to that anti trust case, that today you can use other explorers than micrsofts on windows.

This case could be like that, but for storefronts for phones.
This is about the rights of the end user, to install software on their own phones.

JRPGfan said:
John2290 said:
I'm on Apples side here.

What internet explorer do you use on your PC?
Microsofts IE? or Firefox? Crome ect?

safari lmao

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes, motivated by money.
So is apple btw.

This doesnt mean that Epic Games doesnt have a case though.

I don't see how they have a case Tbh.

Apple has very clear ToS which Epic would have had to agree to, Epic broke the ToS, Apple removed the app for the violation.

I feel like this lawsuit is going to be a waste of time and Epic will lose.

Fair enough if they attacked Apple's ToS and tried to get them to change them, I feel like the only way that is happening is with EU though, I genuinely believe the only way Apple will change is from an antitrust from EU.

This little fight though? Apple will live, they'll move on, they rolled in money before Fortnite, they'll continue to do after and I want Apple's policies to change but eh...I'm not sure this is the best way to do it.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 August 2020