By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said: "Mobile applications have fundamentally changed the way we access content. Apple sets the rules for the distribution of apps to users of iPhones and iPads. It appears that Apple obtained a “gatekeeper” role when it comes to the distribution of apps and content to users of Apple's popular devices. We need to ensure that Apple's rules do not distort competition in markets where Apple is competing with other app developers, for example with its music streaming service Apple Music or with Apple Books. I have therefore decided to take a close look at Apple's App Store rules and their compliance with EU competition rules.”

This is getting spicy.

Also this is clearly about consumer rights, and storefronts.

Around the Network

While this is an interesting "war" that will be going on, I just can't see an angle for apple to lose this one ( granted I'm not a lawyer). And tbh I'm surprised Epic is willing to fight this one, as they operate an onlinestore themselves and winning this legal battle might weaken their own position there.

Lafiel said:
While this is an interesting "war" that will be going on, I just can't see an angle for apple to lose this one ( granted I'm not a lawyer). And tbh I'm surprised Epic is willing to fight this one, as they operate an onlinestore themselves and winning this legal battle might weaken their own position there.

Its anti competitive, towards app developers, and not in consumer intrests.
Its basically a monopoly.

Say you want to put something out on android.
Even if you cannot get it on the store, you can atleast still have it out there (your app). And people have the freedom to find it, download it, and install it, if they want. Basically a work around, for the storefront of googles. There is no such choice, on iPhones. As a consumer, you are robbed of your choice in the matter.
As a app developer, you are not given the chance to compete. Apples way or the highway.

So the way they lose this one, is the same way Microsoft lost it, with windows and internet exploror, and being forced to allow competitors the ability to compete.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said: "Mobile applications have fundamentally changed the way we access content. Apple sets the rules for the distribution of apps to users of iPhones and iPads. It appears that Apple obtained a “gatekeeper” role when it comes to the distribution of apps and content to users of Apple's popular devices. We need to ensure that Apple's rules do not distort competition in markets where Apple is competing with other app developers, for example with its music streaming service Apple Music or with Apple Books. I have therefore decided to take a close look at Apple's App Store rules and their compliance with EU competition rules.”

This is getting spicy.

Also this is clearly about consumer rights, and storefronts.

Oh, now I get it. This has been a joke thread all along.

"This is clearly about consumer rights," followed by a quote with a proposal to allow Epic to host a competing storefront on iOS devices. Yes, this is clearly not about Epic wanting more money.

And clearly not about Apple wanting more money either.
But the fact of the matter (reguardless of motive) is they have a valid case.

They could argue that its anti-competitive, and a monopoly.
Apple could be forced to change its ways, the same as Microsoft was, with internet explorors.

Apple and Google form a cartel with two market dominating companies having the same high prices (30% fee) while printing money. Stuff can't be free but every company having the same high prices is a case for antitrust busting.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Apple could be forced to change its ways, the same as Microsoft was, with internet explorors.

Yeah, right.

I'd love to see the likes of EA and Ubisoft (Origin and UPlay or whatever their stores are called) try to pull this stunt on PlayStation and then see what you have to say about it. Something tells me that you wouldn't side with EA and Ubisoft.

if it would make the games cheaper

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Yeah, right.

I'd love to see the likes of EA and Ubisoft (Origin and UPlay or whatever their stores are called) try to pull this stunt on PlayStation and then see what you have to say about it. Something tells me that you wouldn't side with EA and Ubisoft.

If Epic games wins this, and it also applies to consoles.
Good, it means cheaper games for the consumer.

If your willing to buy games from which ever storefront is currently cheaper.
The guestion becomes if EA is willing to make a storefront for consoles? and what this means to online play, do they need to host their own servers?
If their willing, and have better prices than Sony or MS, why not?

Cheaper games (from more competition from stores) = better for the consumer.

That's the thing: you can make someone sign all the ToS you want. But if those terms of service violate the law, it's all wet paper. Like, I can sign a contract that makes me work 15 hours a day, no days off and that make me pay for my own PPE. But since all of that is illegal (at least in my country) the contract means absolutely nothing.

So, what they have to do is see if Apple's ToS contain any abusive/illegal clauses. The fact that Epic signed a ToS is not an automatic win for Apple by any means.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

If Epic games wins this, and it also applies to consoles.
Good, it means cheaper games for the consumer.

If your willing to buy games from which ever storefront is currently cheaper.
The guestion becomes if EA is willing to make a storefront for consoles? and what this means to online play, do they need to host their own servers?
If their willing, and have better prices than Sony or MS, why not?

Cheaper games (from more competition from stores) = better for the consumer.

How could I forget that the vast majority of gamers trust EA to be consumer-friendly...

I personally dont..... but it would be fair, to give EA the option to try it, if they wanted.

If epic wins this case against apple, that will happend.
EA will get a chance to try, if it so wishes.

Would be really cool to see a class action from gamers against Apple if they lost access to the game and what they already paid inside the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."