By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Let's Predict the Floor for Metroid Prime 4

Tagged games:

What is the LOWEST number of units MP4 will sell?

1 million units 12 24.00%

2 million units 15 30.00%

3 million units 11 22.00%

4 million units 4 8.00%

5 million units 1 2.00%

6 million units 1 2.00%

7 million units 1 2.00%

8 million units 1 2.00%

9 million units 0 0%

10+ million units 4 8.00%

Total:50

I chose 3 Million, even with my lowest prediction it would be the greatest selling Metroid game of all time, which hurts me to say that since I believe the Metroid Prime series is soooo underrated and the Trilogy are some of my favorite games of all time. however I believe this time around Prime 4 will sell far better than any Metroid game, I'm thinking 5-7M in it's lifetime. Metroid fans for the past decade have been so vocal and hyping up Prime 4 that many newcomers are going to be willing to try it out and see the hype behind the Prime series. The hype surrounding Prime 4 around e3 2017 made me curious enough to purchase the Metroid Prime Trilogy in 2017, and I enjoyed it so much it made me a fan of the Prime series. I believe the hype surrounding the Prime series will bring a lot of newcomers in greatly increasing the sales. Also, it's gonna be on one of the hottest systems of all time with crazy high attach rates for Nintendo games on a system that isn't full of soccer moms like the Wii.

Around the Network
JCGamer55 said:
I'm worried that the development-hell it went through will give it a bad rep and people will skip it if its not a masterpiece. I can't recall a game that went through that and lived up to the expectations after release.

The original Prime went through development hell; this sounds less like development hell and more like a flat-out reboot. And plenty of games have gone through the ringer and done quite well afterwards: off the top of my head there's the aforementioned Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, and Team Fortress 2.

Metroid is pretty nice though, and heavens knows if it will release before the Switch is in its twilight. Also, it's been years since Tropical Freeze released: what has Retro been up to...?

couchmonkey said:
The funny thing about this thread is the only way we’ll ever know is if the game sucks or has a unfairly chilly reception. I would say 1.5 million.

The purpose of this thread is to almost assume the worst anyway, barring that it doesn't get released.  I was wondering what the overall hype of the series, the game, and Samus are.  Certainly this game will be unveiled to more hype than a Metroid game will have ever had.  That alone will generate sales.  It's also a question of the current state of first party Nintendo games in a hyped up Switch market.  Things are booming all over for Nintendo thanks to the Switch and titles are regularly beating their predecessors greatest achievements.  And I suppose more than anything, was the point that this under-performing title, having neither been seen nor heard has the potential to outsell all previous iterations on name and hype alone.  Once we get a taste of the visuals in a teaser trailer or a gameplay trailer I'll revisit this thread and see how we stand.  If Retro and Nintendo are playing their cards right with this one, they could easily bring Metroid into the pantheon of amazing selling Nintendo games, which would just be awesome for the franchise and for fans.

super_etecoon said:
couchmonkey said:
The funny thing about this thread is the only way we’ll ever know is if the game sucks or has a unfairly chilly reception. I would say 1.5 million.

The purpose of this thread is to almost assume the worst anyway, barring that it doesn't get released.  I was wondering what the overall hype of the series, the game, and Samus are.  Certainly this game will be unveiled to more hype than a Metroid game will have ever had.  That alone will generate sales.  It's also a question of the current state of first party Nintendo games in a hyped up Switch market.  Things are booming all over for Nintendo thanks to the Switch and titles are regularly beating their predecessors greatest achievements.  And I suppose more than anything, was the point that this under-performing title, having neither been seen nor heard has the potential to outsell all previous iterations on name and hype alone.  Once we get a taste of the visuals in a teaser trailer or a gameplay trailer I'll revisit this thread and see how we stand.  If Retro and Nintendo are playing their cards right with this one, they could easily bring Metroid into the pantheon of amazing selling Nintendo games, which would just be awesome for the franchise and for fans.

What would it take to qualify as an "amazing selling Nintendo game" though?

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

20m+

In all seriousness, that's about what it would take to land in the Top 25 list, so that does sound right!

Around the Network

Nintendo will do as with PIKMIN 4, release PIKMIN 3 DELUXE

The next Metroid game will be called Metroid 3 Corruption Deluxe

Ryotsu said:
Nintendo will do as with PIKMIN 4, release PIKMIN 3 DELUXE

The next Metroid game will be called Metroid 3 Corruption Deluxe

We're counting on it, only it will be called Metroid Prime Trilogy Deluxe.  It will feature even more multiplayer maps and will also include a map editor that allows us to create our own arenas using artwork from throughout the Prime games. You'll also be able to customize your fighter by finding collectible pieces of armor throughout the trilogy and recovering sculptures of iconic Samus model from the past.  As an added bonus, Metroid Prime Pinball will be accessible by completing a gauntlet of top down morphball puzzles that will take you deep into the planets core, ala Pikmin 2.

Probably about the same as three houses,in the worst case scenario(which is:the game is just average and nobody cares). Barring a disaster it should do 3 million.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

20m+

Ok...maybe just a good selling Nintendo game then instead of a poor or mediocre selling Nintendo game.  I think a 10 million seller would put it on par with the successes of other juggernauts this generation, at least relatively.  Not that I have any reason to believe it would reach such lofty heights as of this posting, of course. 

If the game is great like the first Metroid Prime game, I think it can do 4 million as a minimum. If it gets Other M-esque reception, 1.5-2 million.