By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 controller battery leaked

DonFerrari said:
S.Peelman said:

I have multiple controllers, and they only ever charge through the PS4 itself. And yes, this was also bad on the WiiU GamePad.

Unlucky you. Mine even hold battery for over a week if I'm not playing. With my regular 4h per day playing it would have about 2 days of gameplay per controller. My child controller seems to not be holding battery at all after 6 years, but I believe he cycled them to much.

A week? I'd love to have that. Lucky you.

Hiku said:
S.Peelman said:
I'll say that the big thing that should be improved is the fact that it should be able to actually hold its charge while it lays dormant overnight

I don't think I've experienced that, except one time. The battery was completely drained and the controller wouldn't turn on. And when I tried to charge it, the charge icon said ? for two hours or so. And as soon as I unplugged the charger, it said it had low battery again.

I thought the controller was broken, but then it started charging, and the problem hasn't re appeared since.

I never had that at least, sounds weird. With me I just plug in the thing, put the PS4 on standby mode when I'm done with it, and then 24 hours later when we turn it on again to watch Netflix or whatever the battery's almost dead again. I know the standby mode does actually charge it all the way; I tested that during the day multiple times. Though, the standby mode is probably still the problem; obviously I'm not going to get up at night to unplug my controllers, so they stay plugged in after the standby mode is done after 4 hours or so and the PS4 shuts off. I'm assuming at that point because the controllers are still plugged in it starts to slowly drain the battery (it's now a 'leak'). Now the controller that wasn't plugged in also drains, but I suspect not as quickly however. I should test that, but I'm too lazy.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
DonFerrari said:

Unlucky you. Mine even hold battery for over a week if I'm not playing. With my regular 4h per day playing it would have about 2 days of gameplay per controller. My child controller seems to not be holding battery at all after 6 years, but I believe he cycled them to much.

Hiku said:

I don't think I've experienced that, except one time. The battery was completely drained and the controller wouldn't turn on. And when I tried to charge it, the charge icon said ? for two hours or so. And as soon as I unplugged the charger, it said it had low battery again.

I thought the controller was broken, but then it started charging, and the problem hasn't re appeared since.

I never had that at least, sounds weird. With me I just plug in the thing, put the PS4 on standby mode when I'm done with it, and then 24 hours later when we turn it on again to watch Netflix or whatever the battery's almost dead again. I know the standby mode does actually charge it all the way; I tested that during the day multiple times. Though, the standby mode is probably still the problem; obviously I'm not going to get up at night to unplug my controllers, so they stay plugged in after the standby mode is done after 4 hours or so and the PS4 shuts off. I'm assuming at that point because the controllers are still plugged in it starts to slowly drain the battery (it's now a 'leak'). Now the controller that wasn't plugged in also drains, but I suspect not as quickly however. I should test that, but I'm too lazy.

My console is usually on standby mode by night and the controller there charging, when it is full charge the light on it turns off and then stop charging, I would guess it doesn't drain battery after that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's not even released yet and the batteries are leaking! Not a good sign.

Signature goes here!

Leynos said:

Could they have picked a dumber paint tool to use? Pro controllers are still the king for console controllers at 40 hours.

I think the WiiU Pro Controller has like 80 hours.

Intrinsic said:
Damn those leaking batteries. Hopefully, they don't explode.

exploding dual sense when you get game over would make sense in terms gameplay immersion

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Hiku said:
S.Peelman said:

I don't use standby mode any more after I heard some people that got their systems wiped/bricked during power outages, but it turns off automatically when the controller is fully charged?

I usually charge my controller while I'm playing through a 5 meter USB extension cable. I can't recall having less battery after turning it off over night (except that one time), but I have seen it turn on with more battery life the next day, after turning it off when it was at 0 bars, and it had 1-2 bars the next day. But I think that's just a temporary inaccurate reading. Happens to my phone at times as well.

From what I know the controller turns off, but the console doesn't change at all. Haven't heard of these brick issue. May start turning off. But have in mind that electronics are more likely to break from turning on and off than for leaving on standby.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

My console is usually on standby mode by night and the controller there charging, when it is full charge the light on it turns off and then stop charging, I would guess it doesn't drain battery after that.

Hiku said:

I don't use standby mode any more after I heard some people that got their systems wiped/bricked during power outages, but it turns off automatically when the controller is fully charged?

I usually charge my controller while I'm playing through a 5 meter USB extension cable. I can't recall having less battery after turning it off over night (except that one time), but I have seen it turn on with more battery life the next day, after turning it off when it was at 0 bars, and it had 1-2 bars the next day. But I think that's just a temporary inaccurate reading. Happens to my phone at times as well.

Then I don’t know, as far as I understood it the standby mode sets the system in standby for I think 4 hours (but it could be 3, doesn’t matter) during which time your controllers will charge if you plug them in. In any case if the bricking story is true then that’s also something that needs to be fixed.

0D0 said:
Intrinsic said:
Damn those leaking batteries. Hopefully, they don't explode.

exploding dual sense when you get game over would make sense in terms gameplay immersion

I think you are onto something. They should build in tasers into the controller to give you a mild shock when you take damage. 

Imagine the immersion, no need for life bars anymore. In place of a life bar they ould just put a YMMV icon.

Ka-pi96 said:
Intrinsic said:

I think you are onto something. They should build in tasers into the controller to give you a mild shock when you take damage. 

Imagine the immersion, no need for life bars anymore. In place of a life bar they ould just put a YMMV icon.

You could still have a life bar.

IIRC Nintendo came up with a patent for something that monitors your heart rate awhile back. Just combine that with it and you can use your current heart rate as the life bar.

Ingenious!!!!

That way when your heart rate drops and you lose a pulse the onscreen life bar hits 0.

The killer app the PS5 deserves.

battery life matters

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.