By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What chill games (non combative/conventional) games do you guys play/recommend?

I am pretty sure that everybody gets to a point where the conventional games can get a little tiring. When you just want to sit back and relax what do guys play? I have played Abzu, Birthdays the Beginnings and Opus: The day we found Earth; all great fulfilling chill games and I'm in the mood for another.

I am expecting lots of Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, but something outside of these games.

Around the Network

I could recommend some Visual Novels, if you are into that kind of thing.

Flower, Journey, Pixeljunk Eden.

Lara Croft Go. Pretty chill puzzle game.

The Sam And Max games. Most point and click games. Monkey Island games is another series I enjoyed.

There's probably some better examples I'm missing. Now, a couple of honorable mentions that maybe, maybe don't quite fit as well into the chill category.

I'm finding Megadimension Neptunia V II to be pretty chill in terms of gameplay, and it's very upbeat an lighthearted in terms of dialogue, but keeping my "routes" organized for my playthroughs is a bit daunting. I already screwed up some things in my first run.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I could recommend some Visual Novels, if you are into that kind of thing.

I had Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness in my list, but took it out. I'm not sure I really classify what is essentially a choose your own adventure as a game. Plus, the story in that particular VN is all kinds of twisted and sad. I enjoyed it for what it was though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Lost in Rain

Brothers a Tales of Two Sons

Puyo Puyo

Tetris

RiME

Lost in Shadow

Journey

Flower

Attack of the Friday Monsters

Crossniq+

Pilotwings 64

NiGHTS Into Dreams

Any Animal Crossing

Nintendogs

Point and Click Adventure games. Grimfandango or Journey Down are some of my faves. Zack and Wiki is another.

Chibi Robo

A Boy and His Blob

Endless Ocean series

Daytona USA (few racing games feel as chill as this IMO)

Shenmue does have combat but sparingly and walking around the small town has always been one of the most relaxing games for me. Just the first one not the sequels.

Toy Commander. Sorta does but it's chill.

Outrun 2006

Lastly a little odd one but Grandia. Yes it's a JRPG but it's pretty easy and the characters and sense of adventure never let the game dive into that typical drowning in melo drama. It's just one of the best games to give a great sense of adventure.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Animal Crossing

The most relaxing game I‘ve ever seen and played was released just 5 weeks ago (it‘s in EA but fully playable):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291340/Townscaper/

https://youtu.be/PjThL8zvJPk

Gris
Everybody gone to the Rapture
Life is Strange 1,2
Danganronpa series
Nonary games (999, virtue's last reward)
All Telltale games (Walking Dead, Batman, Wolf among Us, etc)
Tearaway
Machinarium
The Touryst

Most of these are multiplatform so u wont have problem about exclusivity :)

I'm currently playing Creaks for my chill game. From the makers of Machinarium (also great)

https://amanita-design.net/games/creaks.html

I'm a passionate lover of many what we might call unconventional games myself! Lots of great recommendations have already been made, but to add some of my favorites that I'm not seeing yet:

Butterfly Soup
What Remains of Edith Finch
Papo & Yo
Kentucky Route Zero
Untitled Goose Game
Return of the Obra Dinn
That Dragon, Cancer
Gone Home
Portal
Portal 2

If you enjoyed games like Azbu and Opus, you'll likely find these to be upgrades.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 09 August 2020