By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 5 - Answering Your Questions On Compatible PS4 Peripherals & Accessories

Intrinsic said:
Jranation said:

More options the better. For the Switch you have to get this USB thing called 8bitdo so you can use a Wii U pro controller. It works perfectly fine for games that is not fully gyroscope or motion games. I can see a similar thirdparty item to work for the PS5. 

What Microsoft has done to the Xbox one controllers being compatible to XSX is very consumer friendly. I dont know why anyone would not want this option. 

Lol... consumer-friendly....

I don't think its that anyone doesn't or wouldn't want the option. It's more like those of us that are ok with it understand why it's necessary. If there was absolutely no "technical" difference between the DS4 and the DS controller, as is the case with the new XSX controller vs the XB1 controller, then I would be up in arms as to why a perfectly working and identical controller isn't being supported by the new hardware.

But that's not the case, there are things that the new controller can do that the old one simply can not. And if you want those things to become widely supported on the PS5, you have to kill support for the older controller.

It would have been "anti-consumer" if your DS4 controller doesn't work at all on the PS5 which would mean that even when playing PS4 games on it you would need a DS controller instead. Now that would have been fucked up.

Not to go OT but this consumer friendly / unfriendly marketing speak echoed from Microsoft division from gamers is working as is just.. >_> Just because one company does it, it doesn't mean its consumer friendly or not. How about selling a console (Xbox One) with a controller with no USB cable or batteries built in, and instead have a pair of disposable AA batteries. But wait, MS are selling you battery packs and plug and play kits instead... (which in my experience back in the 360 days tend to die quite fast). Hmm so consumer aware.

This is pretty normal for all generation of consoles. Wii U controllers aren't BC with switch for no technological reason. These new DualSense have lots of new features to boot, its makes sense from a business POV and from technology standpoint.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 August 2020

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Jranation said:

More options the better. For the Switch you have to get this USB thing called 8bitdo so you can use a Wii U pro controller. It works perfectly fine for games that is not fully gyroscope or motion games. I can see a similar thirdparty item to work for the PS5. 

What Microsoft has done to the Xbox one controllers being compatible to XSX is very consumer friendly. I dont know why anyone would not want this option. 

I don't think its that anyone doesn't or wouldn't want the option. It's more like those of us that are ok with it understand why it's necessary. If there was absolutely no "technical" difference between the DS4 and the DS controller, as is the case with the new XSX controller vs the XB1 controller, then I would be up in arms as to why a perfectly working and identical controller isn't being supported by the new hardware.

But that's not the case, there are things that the new controller can do that the old one simply can not. And if you want those things to become widely supported on the PS5, you have to kill support for the older controller.

It would have been "anti-consumer" if your DS4 controller doesn't work at all on the PS5 which would mean that even when playing PS4 games on it you would need a DS controller instead. Now that would have been fucked up.

twintail said:
Jranation said:

A very big difference here is that the XSX controller is essentially the same controller on XBO (albeit there are tweaks to make the controller better). The design language, capabilities and purposes of each controller are very similar to one another. 

This isn't the case with the DS4 and DualSense, for better or worse.

If the game is still playable without those new  controller features then I rather have the option to use my old controllers and save money. Especially when local multiplayer takes into place. This actually gives Xbox Series X an indirect price advantage. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Intrinsic said:
Jranation said:

From what I remember PS2 is full BC with PS1 but still didn`t accept the control or memory card from PS1 to play even PS1 games did it? Same with PS3 on launch being full BC with PS1 and PS2 and still not allowing either controllers to be used, and for several PS3 games there was no input that DS2 couldn`t do. It have been the norm so far.

MS having decided to make the X1 control fully compatible (well they removed themselves from the concept of generation anyway since X1X) sure can be said to be customer friendly (even if other issues on the controller aren`t customer friendly) but that doesn`t make the other customer unfriendly. It is just old MS trying to get browny points to recover from the image they destroyed with X1 (and funnily enough it is exactly where they still want to go but now applauded with GP and XCloud).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jranation said:

If the game is still playable without those new  controller features then I rather have the option to use my old controllers and save money. Especially when local multiplayer takes into place. This actually gives Xbox Series X an indirect price advantage. 

Guess you could say the same thing about every controller released since 1998. Technically, there has never been the reason for new consoles to not support the older controllers by your reasoning.

The only funny thing is, now more than ever the PS5 actually has a legitimate reason to not support the older controller. 

DonFerrari said:

From what I remember PS2 is full BC with PS1 but still didn`t accept the control or memory card from PS1 to play even PS1 games did it? Same with PS3 on launch being full BC with PS1 and PS2 and still not allowing either controllers to be used, and for several PS3 games there was no input that DS2 couldn`t do. It have been the norm so far.

MS having decided to make the X1 control fully compatible (well they removed themselves from the concept of generation anyway since X1X) sure can be said to be customer friendly (even if other issues on the controller aren`t customer friendly) but that doesn`t make the other customer unfriendly. It is just old MS trying to get browny points to recover from the image they destroyed with X1 (and funnily enough it is exactly where they still want to go but now applauded with GP and XCloud).

Yup, MS being MS... and unfortunately there seems to always be people that fall for that shit. Lets not forget the 360 controllers, what reason is there as to why its not being supported by the XB1 or even the XSX? I mean MS cuts out batteries from the controller and finds a way to dress that up as being consumer-friendly.

And don't even get me started on the whole Smart delivery nonsense, they just renamed something sony had been doing since 2013.

Intrinsic said:
Jranation said:

Guess you could say the same thing about every controller released since 1998. Technically, there has never been the reason for new consoles to not support the older controllers by your reasoning.

The only funny thing is, now more than ever the PS5 actually has a legitimate reason to not support the older controller. 

DonFerrari said:

Yup, MS being MS... and unfortunately there seems to always be people that fall for that shit. Lets not forget the 360 controllers, what reason is there as to why its not being supported by the XB1 or even the XSX? I mean MS cuts out batteries from the controller and finds a way to dress that up as being consumer-friendly.

And don't even get me started on the whole Smart delivery nonsense, they just renamed something sony had been doing since 2013.

MS is looking like politicians, savior of the world, sole owners of truth and good intentions, who rename everything to look like they created it =p

And as I said somewhere, people have been complaining that Sony didn't change their DualShock for 4 gens (let's pretend they didn't, just because the general look have been similar and mapping as well, because we know that the "improvement" they wanted Sony to do was copy the analog placement from MS) and know that they do a major change we complain they won't allow you to use the older control.

On the internal battery I just laugh off. "But after 10 years of playing if your battery dies you have to change the whole control while I have been able to keep changing batteries". Seems like my older DS4 started having problems of battery, my son really is someone that don't pay attention to his charge and is all the time hooking up the control to the cord and jumping around so he destroys cables and give a lot of charging cycles to the control. So now I look at 4 alternatives... buy an original control for 60 (nope I have 3), buy an knock off for under 30 (why would I do that?), buy a battery pack for 5 USD (seem a lot cheaper than having to buy and recycle several batteries for the X1 or buy their battery pack) or since my son still keep doing the same stuff just keep him using the chord and don`t expend the money at this moment (my choice so far). Anyway changing the battery of DS4 is so simple that I can`t believe the big mountain made of "when my battery dies out in 10 years I lose my control" and these same people buy smartphones like iPhone that after 6 months have a battery that have been severely depleted, costs more than some other smartphones (battery versus full phone) and use for 2 years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
dorron said:
Logitech G25, yay or nay? This kept me from playing any driving game in PS4. I'm not spending big bucks each time a new generation comes when the G25 is still perfect...

If they don't support it, then i guess it's bye bye to GT.

"Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games."

Very happy about this as I bought a G29 for my PC and PS4. 

Edit: Wait just realised you're talking about the G25. If it didn't work on PS4 it probably won't work on PS5. I doubt a 14 year old wheel is on their priority list unfortunately. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
dorron said:
Logitech G25, yay or nay? This kept me from playing any driving game in PS4. I'm not spending big bucks each time a new generation comes when the G25 is still perfect...

If they don't support it, then i guess it's bye bye to GT.

"Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games."

Very happy about this as I bought a G29 for my PC and PS4. 

Edit: Wait just realised you're talking about the G25. If it didn't work on PS4 it probably won't work on PS5. I doubt a 14 year old wheel is on their priority list unfortunately. 

Luckly my Thrustmaster GT5 wheel worked on PS3 and PS4, so there is a good chance it will also work on PS5. I would say it have resistence and movement on pedals and wheel so it should be compliant with both haptic and the new trigger implementation.

Intrinsic said:
Jranation said:

DonFerrari said:

twintail said:
Jranation said:

Price advantage depends entirely on how much each console costs to begin with.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that it's easier to get local MP done, and cheaper.

But I would also want the new controller to actually be put to use in what is clearly a very experience orientated console Sony is making. The controller alone shouts next-gen more than anything MS is doing atm.

But both of their choices make sense for different reasons. I lean on Sony's side more when it comes to the controller. I want new experiences that the controller can hopefully provide. Not the same thing I've been playing for the last 6 or so years.

In my perspective it is similar to the crossplay feature. Its not a must have feature but the benefits are there and many players will be able to utilise it and benefit it themselves. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Intrinsic said:

twintail said:

Price advantage depends entirely on how much each console costs to begin with.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that it's easier to get local MP done, and cheaper.

But I would also want the new controller to actually be put to use in what is clearly a very experience orientated console Sony is making. The controller alone shouts next-gen more than anything MS is doing atm.

But both of their choices make sense for different reasons. I lean on Sony's side more when it comes to the controller. I want new experiences that the controller can hopefully provide. Not the same thing I've been playing for the last 6 or so years.

In my perspective it is similar to the crossplay feature. Its not a must have feature but the benefits are there and many players will be able to utilise it and benefit it themselves. 

Fair enough.

Jranation said:

Ok.. here's the thing.

1. There is no reason for MS to not have the XSX support the XB1 controller. Why? because outside some slight ergonomic changes, both the XSX controller and the XB1 controller ae identical. The same can not be said about the PS5 DS controller. If you feel the changes that the controller brings is major or not, going to be used or not, is irrelevant.

The bottom line s that there are things that the controller can do that the DS4 can't do, and if sony wants to push devs to support those features, they have to make it the only option for PS5 games. If they don't do that, third party devs would just ignore the features. Which would mean sony would be inadvertently shooting themselves in the foot by having games on their platform support gameplay mechanics that simple are nowhere else on the industry. 

Lastly, this a business, money is made from selling controllers. That's partly how console hardware subsidization is justified. And sony wouldn't just be looking to sell controllers to PS5 gamers, but also to PC gamers when those PS5 centric gameplay mechanics enabled by the DS starts being supported on the PC too.
  2. And now that crossplay example you gave... Its just the way it is. The simple fact of the matter is that it's a bad tool for business for a platform that is the market leader, and its a good tool for one that isn't. 

Remember back on the PS3/360, whenPSN was still free. Sony was pushing for crossplay. MS refused. Now the PSN is the market leader as with paid online gaming and user base, and you can't see why MS would b pushing fo it now and sony would be refusing?

These companies are competing, who do you think it favors when your friends don't have to buy the console you have to play online games with you? MS is trying to take away the single biggest thing that makes people buy consoles only second to games; word of mouth. Friends buy what their friends have, with cross-play, they wouldn't have to. 

We can call it anti-consumer all we want, but by that reasoning, every single timed or permanent exclusive is anti-consumer too. But these are all tacts used to give a platform more value. Now you can disregard everything just said if MSdoesn't have a single timed exclusive game on their roster.

Honestly, though, I think that the fact MS turned down crossplay back in the 360 gen should have told you everything you need to know about it. Do you really believe that if the tables were turned MS would be pushing for crossplay as they are today? Its like people forget that MS at one point paid for exclusive GTA4 DLC. And a Tomb Raider timed exclusive.