By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 5 - Answering Your Questions On Compatible PS4 Peripherals & Accessories

yvanjean said:
twintail said:

I'm sorry. I didn't realise your DS4 had adaptive triggers, a mic, and haptic feedback.

Please let me know where you bought it.

There going to be many game that doesn't need adaptive triggers, a mic and haptic feedback. Especially, all 3rd party games that will work on the Xbox one Controller. Any PS5 game could have DS4 options if supported. But, Sony decided to disable the option to sell peripherals.

I'd rather Sony would of said that the DS4 will have very limited support and that most PS5 games won't be supporting the DS4 controller.

Well a lot of 3rd party games had use for the touchpad on DS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This makes me feel like the series x will be cheaper than the PS5

if we compare the marketing philosophies for both companies, Sony is pushing a progressive - leave the old shit behind and buy our new shit narrative. They believe in generations, as in they believe in you buying new more expensive hardware that does more or less the same thing the old hardware does. sure the D5 has new features, but only like 1 or 2 % of games will actually use those features, we all should know how those gimmicks pan out by now.

Xbox doesn't care about pushing hardware, you can use your old controllers or your old console, they don't give a fuck, as long as you buy one of their many software subscriptions.

So if there is a difference in cost of the more powerful systems, I'd bet the company that just wants you in the door to sell you services is more likely to sell you a cheaper box than the company that wants to force you to buy new shit when everyone knows the old shit would work just fine.

Hardware salesmen vs software salesmen

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

twintail said:
vivster said:

Makes sense for companies who want to peddle their plastic even though people already have perfectly fine plastic at home. I already know that the DS4 will work perfectly fine with next gen games on PC so the only reason that the DS4 doesn't work on PS5 games is because they do not want it to work. And isn't that just cheeky.

I'm sorry. I didn't realise your DS4 had adaptive triggers, a mic, and haptic feedback.

It doesn't but luckily it turns out that those features are essential to exactly zero games and thus all games will work with a DS4. That is of course only if our overlords will allow it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Too_Talls said:
This makes me feel like the series x will be cheaper than the PS5

if we compare the marketing philosophies for both companies, Sony is pushing a progressive - leave the old shit behind and buy our new shit narrative. They believe in generations, as in they believe in you buying new more expensive hardware that does more or less the same thing the old hardware does. sure the D5 has new features, but only like 1 or 2 % of games will actually use those features, we all should know how those gimmicks pan out by now.

Xbox doesn't care about pushing hardware, you can use your old controllers or your old console, they don't give a fuck, as long as you buy one of their many software subscriptions.

So if there is a difference in cost of the more powerful systems, I'd bet the company that just wants you in the door to sell you services is more likely to sell you a cheaper box than the company that wants to force you to buy new shit when everyone knows the old shit would work just fine.

Hardware salesmen vs software salesmen

MS speech have all been on the direction that you don't need to move to Series X, that they will still put the games on X1 for the next 2 years and all, while Sony have said they want to do a very quick transition, so it is more likely that Sony take bigger loses on the HW, they are also putting a discless system which is likely where they will take even more loses because their profit on SW is higher as well. Also not to forget MS opted for a more powerful console that likely costs more to make (we still need to see about Lockhart thouhg).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

yvanjean said:
twintail said:

There going to be many game that doesn't need adaptive triggers, a mic and haptic feedback. Especially, all 3rd party games that will work on the Xbox one Controller. Any PS5 game could have DS4 options if supported. But, Sony decided to disable the option to sell peripherals.

I'd rather Sony would of said that the DS4 will have very limited support and that most PS5 games won't be supporting the DS4 controller.

Ya I don't like buying new controllers either but it is what it is. Not a huge deal to me but MS has all these little things going for them this gen making them a very attractive option. Unfortunately I just have no reason for an Xbox between my gaming PC and PS console I'm set. 

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
twintail said:

It just doesn't work that way. And if you know anything about the industry you would know that too.

If sony allows the DS4 to work with PS5 games, you can just kiss DS feature support goodbye in the majority of the PS5 games. Why, because the same haptic code that the parties build fr the Xbox and PC will work with the DS4 and the PS5. 

The funny thing about this though is, when the first couple of games; Racers, FPS, RPGs...etc put the DS controller to use and basically allow for gameplay features or mechanics that are just impossible to have anywhere else, and those features become an industry standard (think back at dual analog sticks), what would happen is that MS would likely make a new controller that supports features like those.

I think that DS would have that effect, it would make certain gameplay mechanics become possible and relevant in such a way that playing a game without those kinda features would become substandard.

Intrinsic said:
yvanjean said:

They're going to be many games that doesn't need adaptive triggers, a mic, and haptic feedback. Especially, all 3rd party games that will work on the Xbox one Controller. Any PS5 game could have DS4 options if supported. But, Sony decided to disable the option to sell peripherals.

I'd rather Sony would have said that the DS4 will have very limited support and that most PS5 games won't be supporting the DS4 controller.

It just doesn't work that way. And if you know anything about the industry you would know that too.

If sony allows the DS4 to work with PS5 games, you can just kiss DS feature support goodbye in the majority of the PS5 games. Why, because the same haptic code that the parties build fr the Xbox and PC will work with the DS4 and the PS5. 

The funny thing about this though is, when the first couple of games; Racers, FPS, RPGs...etc put the DS controller to use and basically allow for gameplay features or mechanics that are just impossible to have anywhere else, and those features become an industry standard (think back at dual analog sticks), what would happen is that MS would likely make a new controller that supports features like those.

I think that DS would have that effect, it would make certain gameplay mechanics become possible and relevant in such a way that playing a game without those kinda features would become substandard.ds3

So in your terms, the industry is exclusive only to Sony because Microsoft is now supporting Xbox one controller and PC as always had that largest support for all types of controllers. Even Nintendo had full Wii remote support for the WiiU. 

How often do you play Racers and RPGs with multiple controllers?? When do you need multiple controllers? The only reason you need multiple controllers in my opinion is playing party games, couch co-op, or indie multiplayer couch co-op. Where having 2-4 controllers might be needed. I personally like having 2 controllers but that 3rd or 4th controller that you might need once in a while that would have been nice to use DS4. If you buy Overcook 3 on PS5 will you be forced to get four PS5-DS controllers? 

Adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are neat features.... but are not game-changers. But, on the flip side if these aren't implemented right some gamers will want the option to turn it off. The best feature of the DS controller is the new bigger form factor in my opinion.

Edit: All that new technology and expected bigger battery life, all this doesn't come cheap. I Expect the new DS controller to also be more expensive than the DualShock 4. Probably more like the cost of Joycon at $79.99 USD.

Last edited by yvanjean - on 10 August 2020

twintail said:
Captain_Yuri said:
So DualShock 4 won't work for PS5 games, but will work on all PS4 games on the PS5?

Interesting

PS4 doesn't have the PS5 features, and PS5 has the PS4 features.

Makes sense i think

More options the better. For the Switch you have to get this USB thing called 8bitdo so you can use a Wii U pro controller. It works perfectly fine for games that is not fully gyroscope or motion games. I can see a similar thirdparty item to work for the PS5. 

What Microsoft has done to the Xbox one controllers being compatible to XSX is very consumer friendly. I dont know why anyone would not want this option. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

yvanjean said:

So in your terms, the industry is exclusive only to Sony because Microsoft is now supporting Xbox one controller and PC as always had that largest support for all types of controllers. Even Nintendo had full Wii remote support for the WiiU. 

How often do you play Racers and RPGs with multiple controllers?? When do you need multiple controllers? The only reason you need multiple controllers in my opinion is playing party games, couch co-op, or indie multiplayer couch co-op. Where having 2-4 controllers might be needed. I personally like having 2 controllers but that 3rd or 4th controller that you might need once in a while that would have been nice to use DS4. If you buy Overcook 3 on PS5 will you be forced to get four PS5-DS controllers? 

Adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are neat features.... but are not game-changers. But, on the flip side if these aren't implemented right some gamers will want the option to turn it off. The best feature of the DS controller is the new bigger form factor in my opinion.

Edit: All that new technology and expected bigger battery life, all this doesn't come cheap. I Expect the new DS controller to also be more expensive than the DualShock 4. Probably more like the cost of Joycon at $79.99 USD.

Ok... now this is just getting silly.

You get a new console, and you should be expected to get new controllers for it. This is like saying how often does do you use rumble triggers (XB1 controller feature) and as such the XB1shoud support 360 controllers (which it doesn't).

There is a legitimate reason (reasons) why the DS controller is different from the DS4 controller. And like it or not, it has features in a controller that are innovative as there has never been a controller with an adaptive trigger before. And haptic feedback (not just rumble) can make a world of difference. And if you want it to be something that devs use, then you simply have to take the choice away from them.

And if you think an adaptive trigger is not a game-changer then you must just lack imagination. I'll put it this way, if a feature of a controller changes the way you play games or what you expect from game inputs (even if its just two or three genres of games), then its literally a game-changer. And I can't be asked to list out all the many ways it can be used. 

What you are saying is just strange, and ridiculous really. So you are saying that companies shouldn't invest in new tech and innovative features that could impact gaming but just keep it al the same?

If you want multiple controllers, go buy a second or third DS controller. Simple as that. If you don't want to? then by all means stick to the Xbox.

But don't come here making it look like anyone is doing something wrong by making a controller exclusively for their new generation hardware.

Jranation said:
twintail said:

PS4 doesn't have the PS5 features, and PS5 has the PS4 features.

Makes sense i think

More options the better. For the Switch you have to get this USB thing called 8bitdo so you can use a Wii U pro controller. It works perfectly fine for games that is not fully gyroscope or motion games. I can see a similar thirdparty item to work for the PS5. 

What Microsoft has done to the Xbox one controllers being compatible to XSX is very consumer friendly. I dont know why anyone would not want this option. 

Lol... consumer-friendly....

I don't think its that anyone doesn't or wouldn't want the option. It's more like those of us that are ok with it understand why it's necessary. If there was absolutely no "technical" difference between the DS4 and the DS controller, as is the case with the new XSX controller vs the XB1 controller, then I would be up in arms as to why a perfectly working and identical controller isn't being supported by the new hardware.

But that's not the case, there are things that the new controller can do that the old one simply can not. And if you want those things to become widely supported on the PS5, you have to kill support for the older controller.

It would have been "anti-consumer" if your DS4 controller doesn't work at all on the PS5 which would mean that even when playing PS4 games on it you would need a DS controller instead. Now that would have been fucked up.