By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Flight Simulator PC Hands-On

Tagged games:

SvennoJ said:
Azzanation said:
Power of the Cloud is starting to show its stride. Game is on another level that's been show cased, after seeing the gameplay i am interested in seeing how much this is going to push my PC.
Fun Fact: Flight Simulator is one of the oldest gaming franchises under MS. Its older than Windows itself.

I started with MS flight simulator in 1988

It's been 14 years since FSX came out!

It's the first game I played online as well, dial up direct connection, before the internet.

That is a very long time ago, and to think the game was even older than that, believed the first game came out in 1982 on a IBM or something. The IP is more than 37 years old. Glad its coming back in a big way. Hopefully without any major issues.

Around the Network

what i noticed he used +-7GB data streaming in 10 hours while that doesn't sound as alot thats still quite hefty for those with caps

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

If MS is smart please make this a launch game for Series X. It can do a lot for the consoles initial impressions

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

kirby007 said:
what i noticed he used +-7GB data streaming in 10 hours while that doesn't sound as alot thats still quite hefty for those with caps

And that is just for some of the data on the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
kirby007 said:

its for the realtime weather and other plane locations yes

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
OP, please make bullet points of the main stuff brought by DF on the video =]

Done.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Can't wait to play this and crash into my own house!

Imagine the type of PC you would need when they add VR and Ray Tracing Support... Imagine the fap worthy experience that would bring!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

its for the realtime weather and other plane locations yes

I know, it isn't for processing purpose, but it is very data heavy to process locally, but very good to stream results. Still that is a lot of data for this feature, sure any decent connection will be fast enough and with enough latency so everyone can enjoy it.

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:
OP, please make bullet points of the main stuff brought by DF on the video =]

Done.

Thanks

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
SvennoJ said:

I started with MS flight simulator in 1988

It's been 14 years since FSX came out!

It's the first game I played online as well, dial up direct connection, before the internet.

That is a very long time ago, and to think the game was even older than that, believed the first game came out in 1982 on a IBM or something. The IP is more than 37 years old. Glad its coming back in a big way. Hopefully without any major issues.

It seems it still needs some optimizations

According to ARS there’s still some issues to be ironed out as it’s very CPU dependant and can tank in certain situations:

If you want to get this game up to a 60 fps refresh rate, even at 1080p resolution, you're in for a bumpier ride than the "recommended specs" might suggest. The issue boils down to CPU optimizations that still need ironing out in the game's prerelease period. Most of what you'll find in the "graphics" settings menu relates to GPU-bound toggles, with the exception of a few "density" sliders for elements like clouds and ground terrain.

But even turning these settings down sometimes failed to move the needle on my testing rig, an i7-8700K CPU overclocked to 4.9GHz and an overclocked RTX 2080 Ti, both humming on an NVME SSD and 32GB of DDR4-3000 RAM.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/3/

My CPU is only 2.2 ghz, upto 4.1 ghz with boost (but will quickly heat up and get throttled) so I won't be aiming for 60 fps, 24 or 36 I'm guessing (display is 144hz)

That probably also means that a Series X version will have to wait a bit longer until they iron the dips out. It's mostly flying through the clouds that brings it down. FSX had the same issue, the more clouds, the worse the performance. Sunny skies to boost frame rate!

On another note, I wonder if I'll be able to get HDR to work when I connect my laptop to the tv. Is there a way to tell what version the hdmi port is? The laptop supports HDR videos with windows HD color (not true HDR) but not for games and apps.