By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Flight Simulator PC Hands-On

Tagged games:

Dis is teh killer app Series X needs at launch.

Looks impressive, look forward to playing it on consoles whenever that actually happens.

• It uses the cloud to stream the entire earth!
  • Graphics are dank
  • You're gonna need a PC with some beef.
  • You can play using the Xbox One controller... and many other inferior inputs.
  • He claimed he streamed about 7GB of data during his 10+ hours of playing.
  • Game can actually stream weather, clouds and even flights happening in real time.
  • Improved visuals and ray tracing support coming in the future.
Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 30 July 2020

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I want a race game with this world

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

It is pretty damn impressive looking. Also probably the first great example of what the "cloud" can bring to gaming.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

It is pretty damn impressive looking. Also probably the first great example of what the "cloud" can bring to gaming.

Agreed, teh cloud is r3al.

At least they're demonstrating a practical way to use it. Streaming data for a massive, highly detailed world.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I need an RTX 4080 for this game. >:(

Around the Network

I jumped the gun, pre-purchased the ultimate version on Steam (CAD 160) while cleaning up my SSD, now 188 GB free.

Tips to make space (the game wants 150 GB disk space, preferably on a fast SSD)

Steam of course lets you move install folders, easy. Windows and Apple are more work and symbolic links are your friend.
First move all the desktop, documents and other fodder off the SSD. My desktop folder is 80 GB lol.

Then move all the data some games insist on putting in appData from the SSD to HDD and make a symbolic link. For example Elite Dangerous puts 20 GB in one of its appData folders. Move it all and put in a symbolic link from a powershell
cmd /C mklink /J "C:UsersSvenAppDataLocalFrontier_Developments" "D:UsersSvenAppDataLocalFrontier_Developments"
And it will work perfectly.

I also moved iTunes backups off the main drive
cmd /c mklink /J "C:UsersSvenAppleMobileSyncBackup" "D:iTunes Backup"
Stupid iTunes insists on backing up your iPhone on the main drive. (60 GB backup)

All ready, pre-download hasn't unlocked yet on Steam so it's just a stub for now. 19 days to go!

Edit: This site won't display the back slash , the correct commands use back slash in between D: Users etc.

Game looks amazing, I'll definitely be giving it a try through Gamepass as I'm not sure it's a game I would want to spend 60 dollars on.

Power of the Cloud is starting to show its stride. Game is on another level that's been show cased, after seeing the gameplay i am interested in seeing how much this is going to push my PC.
Fun Fact: Flight Simulator is one of the oldest gaming franchises under MS. Its older than Windows itself.

OP, please make bullet points of the main stuff brought by DF on the video =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
Power of the Cloud is starting to show its stride. Game is on another level that's been show cased, after seeing the gameplay i am interested in seeing how much this is going to push my PC.
Fun Fact: Flight Simulator is one of the oldest gaming franchises under MS. Its older than Windows itself.

I started with MS flight simulator in 1988

It's been 14 years since FSX came out!

It's the first game I played online as well, dial up direct connection, before the internet.