By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Saved Their Genre?

CaptainExplosion said:

When Super Mario Odyssey released in 2017 it was a massive hit for Nintendo. Then we got the Spyro Reignighted Trilogy, which was a big hit in it's own right, and several more games like Super Mario Odyssey are coming; Psychonauts 2, Balan Wonderworld, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure, and Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. With those games in mind, I think Super Mario Odyssey saved 3D platformers.

What are some games, old and new, that you'd say saved their genres? :)

I'm really sorry, but no, that's not how it happened. The 3D platformer as a genre was healthy before Odyssey came out. Both Ratchet and Clank and Crash N-sane Trilogy came out before it and did some amazing numbers. Hell, even before that Super Mario 3D Land did like 10 million copies if I am not mistaken and 3D World another 5 million or so, so there was nothing to save, as 3D platformer recovered from the slump that was the 7th generation.

IMO the time when fresh blood was needed, and Nintendo stepped in, was with Galaxy back in 2008. That most definitely reinvigorated a genre, at a time when it was clrealy stagnating and losing apeal.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
DPsx7 said:
Don't know that I'd say any genre was dying out, they kinda come and go. There were some to choose from if you looked for them. 3D platformers did take a break and I was glad when they made a comeback. I'd love to see some more 2D platformers along with puzzlers and lightgun games.

I'm shocked that Nintendo Switch hasn't seen any new light gun games that I know of. NES Online doesn't even have Duck Hunt or Wild Gunman. -_-

The Switch's motion controls don't have the same kind of mass appeal the Wii had, not to mention the genre proved very niche even in that platform.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

CaptainExplosion said:
DPsx7 said:
Don't know that I'd say any genre was dying out, they kinda come and go. There were some to choose from if you looked for them. 3D platformers did take a break and I was glad when they made a comeback. I'd love to see some more 2D platformers along with puzzlers and lightgun games.

I'm shocked that Nintendo Switch hasn't seen any new light gun games that I know of. NES Online doesn't even have Duck Hunt or Wild Gunman. -_-

A new House of the Dead would be awesome on the Switch IMO. And probably fairly cheap to develop a full sequal as well. It should be a no-brainer on Segas part, really.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
CaptainExplosion said:

A new House of the Dead would be awesome on the Switch IMO. And probably fairly cheap to develop a full sequal as well. It should be a no-brainer on Segas part, really.

Well the people who made the Panzer Dragoon remake is working on a House Of The Dead remake, so there is that.

XCOM really breathed some new life into tactics games, though most of the games it motivated don't measure up.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
CaptainExplosion said:

When Super Mario Odyssey released in 2017 it was a massive hit for Nintendo. Then we got the Spyro Reignighted Trilogy, which was a big hit in it's own right, and several more games like Super Mario Odyssey are coming; Psychonauts 2, Balan Wonderworld, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure, and Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. With those games in mind, I think Super Mario Odyssey saved 3D platformers.

What are some games, old and new, that you'd say saved their genres? :)

I'm really sorry, but no, that's not how it happened. The 3D platformer as a genre was healthy before Odyssey came out. Both Ratchet and Clank and Crash N-sane Trilogy came out before it and did some amazing numbers. Hell, even before that Super Mario 3D Land did like 10 million copies if I am not mistaken and 3D World another 5 million or so, so there was nothing to save, as 3D platformer recovered from the slump that was the 7th generation.

IMO the time when fresh blood was needed, and Nintendo stepped in, was with Galaxy back in 2008. That most definitely reinvigorated a genre, at a time when it was clrealy stagnating and losing apeal.

Pretty much, yeah. 3D platformer weren't dying in any sense prior to Odyssey release.

I would say Telltales The Walking Dead, breathed new life into story telling point and click games. It was pretty much a dead genre (pun not intended) and it spurred on other developers like Dontnod to make Life if Strange. Now there's an abundance of those games on every platform.

Dangerous Elite came in with their space flight sim/adventure in 2014, which led to the crowd funded and now pretty huge Star Citizen.

It's not the same thing, but New Super Mario Bros arguably revived the 2D platforming genre back in 2006. Street Fighter IV, again arguably, did something similar with 2D Fighting games in 2009.

Love and tolerate.

Ring Fit Adventure saved fitness games from the abyss. Don't @.

Yeah as others have said. Odyssey was in no way responsible for reviving 3d platformers....

Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
Tearaway Unfolded
Yooka-Laylee
A Hat in Time
Crash NSane Trilogy

All these games released close to, but before Odyssey. And Spyro would have been well into development by the time Odyssey released...

Odyssey might be one of the best if not the best 3d platformer of all time, but it didn't save 3d platformers, they didn't need saving and all of these other games would have existed with or without Odyssey.

The seventh generation was a bit dark for turn based JRPGs. But I wouldn't say it was doomed to the point of needing saving. Games were still coming, they just weren't as popular as before. Anyway, PS4, 3DS and Switch took care of that with games like Dragon Quest XI, Bravely Default, Persona 5, Octopath Traveler...