Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Saved Their Genre?

Ring Fit Adventure saved fitness games from the abyss. Don't @.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I'm shocked that Nintendo Switch hasn't seen any new light gun games that I know of. NES Online doesn't even have Duck Hunt or Wild Gunman. -_-

A new House of the Dead would be awesome on the Switch IMO. And probably fairly cheap to develop a full sequal as well. It should be a no-brainer on Segas part, really.

As a fan of Point Blank and Time Crisis I had several games on the PS1, very few on PS2. There was a slight comeback thanks to motion controls on the PS3/Wii, then not much until we got VR and some more popped up. It may not be a deep genre but who needs it to be?

DPsx7 said:
hunter_alien said:

A new House of the Dead would be awesome on the Switch IMO. And probably fairly cheap to develop a full sequal as well. It should be a no-brainer on Segas part, really.

As a fan of Point Blank and Time Crisis I had several games on the PS1, very few on PS2. There was a slight comeback thanks to motion controls on the PS3/Wii, then not much until we got VR and some more popped up. It may not be a deep genre but who needs it to be?

It shouldn't be so deep. Just mindless fast-paced gunplay with anonymous enemy characters dropping to the floor.

If you want The House of The Dead to be in a deep genre, then make a spin-off that's an FPS. Although The House of The Dead Overkill was pretty deep in terms of story and character development.

So, I've looked at feedback, and I guess 3D platformers weren't dying out before Super Mario Odyssey, but I'm pretty sure collect-a-thon platformers were. Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World even ditched being collect-a-thons for being basically classic Mario gameplay but with full 3D movement.

Yeah as others have said. Odyssey was in no way responsible for reviving 3d platformers....

Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
Tearaway Unfolded
Yooka-Laylee
A Hat in Time
Crash NSane Trilogy

All these games released close to, but before Odyssey. And Spyro would have been well into development by the time Odyssey released...

Odyssey might be one of the best if not the best 3d platformer of all time, but it didn't save 3d platformers, they didn't need saving and all of these other games would have existed with or without Odyssey.

The seventh generation was a bit dark for turn based JRPGs. But I wouldn't say it was doomed to the point of needing saving. Games were still coming, they just weren't as popular as before. Anyway, PS4, 3DS and Switch took care of that with games like Dragon Quest XI, Bravely Default, Persona 5, Octopath Traveler...

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
The seventh generation was a bit dark for turn based JRPGs. But I wouldn't say it was doomed to the point of needing saving. Games were still coming, they just weren't as popular as before. Anyway, PS4, 3DS and Switch took care of that with games like Dragon Quest XI, Bravely Default, Persona 5, Octopath Traveler...

Oh yeah, I forgot about how JRPGs weren't doing so good in seventh gen.

2D Metroidvanias were few and far between before Dust: An Elysian Tail and half the indie community seemed to jump onboard.

Vodacixi said:

I’d also give some credit to Ni no Kuni which came out in the last year of 7th gen and was a success. It had a part in kickstarting the genre. 

Panzer Korps has revived the old genre of the Hex Wargames which was killed 20 years before it's release by the rise of RTS games.

And while no game, Homestuck's storytelling has certainly had a big influence on the resurgence of Text Adventures. The fact that many of them release on Smartphones is also due to them being able to make long games without taking up much space or needing much power, helping it further to come back.

New Super Mario Bros.

Although not at the same level, Street Fighter 4 saved 2D fighting games from ending in the same pit as shoot em ups are.

Edit - Damn you, @Salnax!