By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Phil Spencer a hypocrite?

FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Xbox started the tradition of locking online pay behind a paywall. When Sony and Nintendo both had free online, Microsoft continually marketed their paid online as superior to Sony's free online when it in fact wasn't. They did this so long that both Sony and Nintendo eventually decided to offer paid online.

But hey guys! Lack of Crossplay is pure evil, and MS is the good guys for implementing Crossplay, and is only looking out for the consumer, unlike that evil, evil Sony Corp!

I seem to remember some of my PS2 games having a monthly fee for online play. (not sure) I wouldn't exactly remember because my dad paid for everything back then and even set up the online for me. He would take things like that out of my allowance. 

Also, Nintendo's "free" online hasn't ever really had any features that stacked up to Xbox, especially when it was free. I remember the Wii online being the most laggy mess I ever experienced in gaming.

Probably MMO subscriptions. Final Fantasy 11 (mmo) on PS2 had a subcription.

Around the Network

X-band started the whole pay for an online thing on Genesis and SNES in the 90s. Then we had Dreamcast with Phantasy Star Online for the first console MMO and the first console built around being online. DC had SEGANET in the US and had a monthly sub fee. Paying for online play did not start with Xbox.

Last edited by Leynos - on 25 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Short answer: Yes.
Longer answer: Oh, hell yes.

Xbox fans like to talk about Phil being the Xbox savior, when in truth, he's part of the problem. He was there through the DRM fiasco, and we didn't hear a peep about his dislike of it. In truth, he was probably one of the ones who either helped push it forward or was at least ok with it.

Really, I think it could just be a case of him being a complete yes man. Do we actually believe Phil, who was around during the strong 360 years, wanted all of his exclusives to go to PC? Highly doubt it. That was Nadella, who doesn't care as much about HW, as his background is in online services. And the xCloud/GamePass directive is definitely coming from above Spencer. Even at the cost of game quality.

And I think it's safe to say, Phil being a gamer is just another false persona of his. He actually thought that Halo gameplay clip looked great, just because it was in 4K/60FPS. Polygons, texture resolution, animations? "Who cares. The overall output is 4K/60FPS, it's great looking."

Xbox fans have been praising this yes man with empty promises for long enough. It's either time for someone else to take over, or just put GamePass on other systems and be done with it.

There's a lot of stretching in the OP. By the standards employed there, pretty much everybody that ever says anything is a hypocrite.

Phil is exactly what people want him to be:

1) brand ambassador that stands behind his brand regardless of fault.

2) makes bad decisions look good / not their fault.

3) knows how to shift goal posts when they are not in his favour.

4) a good magician (really talented as misdirection).

He has created a likeable personality by saying the rights at the right time.

He has bought studios to show he's moving in the right direction to ensure xbox gamers get enough new content.

He has increased revenue they lost this gen with the battle pass and helped breath new life into gaming on Windows.

He has helped bring xbox some more Japanese games that were exclusive to playstation.

When player bases were smaller for certain mp games, he forced Sonys hand to crossplay with them, and not until then.

In any other time and other place, this would be an individual looked down upon. Many of the things he says and does remind me of Peter Molyneux, but the reality in many ways Phil is bigger than Xbox. He is seen as the saviour of the brand, the guy who will turn things around.

Rightfully or wrongfully he has done a lot and given hope to a legion of gamers. Whether he is a hypocrite or not, no one across any console and any gen has been able to do what he has, and likely no one will.

The man's a magician, he's doing what he is best at doing. Some will love him for it, others will hate him

Around the Network

Xbox under matrick ws miles better.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Leynos said:

Despite his friendly nature. He isn't much better than what came before. He's made the console the most redundant in console history.  He has been poor at supervising projects leading to many cancelations/closing of studios and mediocre to bad games released. Marketing for XSX has not been great. The only thing he really has going for him is the ability to open MS checkbook.  Not a fan of that either.  I feel he made the Xbox brand boring. I swear if I hear him say the best lineup in Xbox history one more time. Xbox feels like a platform without an identity. Sony and Nintendo have est an identity. Xbox and 360 had one. All I can give Xbox as a brand these days is...it exists. He way overhyped things and underdelivers. Sure his job is to hype people up but you have to deliver as well. Phil seems like a nice guy but that is it.

I don't dislike modern Xbox brand. More like indifferent. I don't think I'm alone.

Yeah, Scalebound was a big blow for me. Platinum Games don't usually make bad games it must have been a non starter.

Also, Rare still doesn't know how Everwild is going to play. That one completely alludes me as it has been development for three years. I really do think they need someone like Yoshida or Furukawa (American equivalent ofc :P) to look over their studios.

To OP, PR guy is going to PR. Take most of that most PR guys say with a grain of salt regarding their platform. These guys are business men, they need to represent their company.

Last edited by hinch - on 25 July 2020

Is water wet? The guy reminds me of a used car salesman.

Phil Spencer is not a hypocrite. He is a man getting paid good money to represent and work for a brand. Dude literally plays every Sony exclusive that's out. He has to say things to hype up his brand, otherwise he would be fired.
He knows that the Xbox is lacking in exclusive titles, and that in terms of studios they are far behind Sony, so he has downplay the importance of Exclusivity while hyping up certain strengths of the Xbox brand. Behind the scenes he has worked tirelessly to acquire studios, because he knows that exclusives are important.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Xbox started the tradition of locking online pay behind a paywall. When Sony and Nintendo both had free online, Microsoft continually marketed their paid online as superior to Sony's free online when it in fact wasn't. They did this so long that both Sony and Nintendo eventually decided to offer paid online.

But hey guys! Lack of Crossplay is pure evil, and MS is the good guys for implementing Crossplay, and is only looking out for the consumer, unlike that evil, evil Sony Corp!

Nintendo fanman here<<<

Wii internet was atrocious. Such a laggy mess. Wii U and Switch is maybe 50% better, but still laggy in games where it's really important to not have lag. I'm 1000% better at Smash Ultimate offline than I am online because of this. Xbox internet is far superior to Nintendo's and I haven't owned one still the 360 before Wii U came out.

Not certain about PS4, but I remember in the 360/PS3 days a lot of people would talk about better online experience on Xbox than PS3. PS3 was always getting online hacked and attacked and DDOS wasn't it?