Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Phil Spencer a hypocrite?

Blood_Tears said:
JRPGfan said:

Probably MMO subscriptions. Final Fantasy 11 (mmo) on PS2 had a subcription.

Exactly, which was through Square Enix. Sony created the addon hard drive specifically for that game. The online network adapter on PS2 was primarily used for that game and SoCom. There was no monthly fee's for online play through Sony at that point as PSN didn't even exist then. 

There were TONS of online games for the PS2. From WWE to Tony Hawk even though it wasn't the PSN, yet. But even though Xbox charged and PS2's online was free, on paper it didn't hold a candle to the Xbox--and I didn't even have an Xbox!

And I did get an Xbox 360 in 2007 and a PS3 in 2008. The Xbox was so far ahead, it was crazy. Little by little, PlayStation added features that narrowed the gap considerably by the time the gen ended. But, that generation also saw the PS brand lose a ton of market share and Sony was hemorrhaging money to the point where we weren't even sure they'd be around.

Sony kinda had to have the bullet point of "free online" to get good pr and it cost them a ton of money they really needed at the time.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Around the Network
Srex117 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Xbox started heavily influenced the tradition of locking online pay behind a paywall. When Sony and Nintendo both had free online, Microsoft continually marketed their paid online as superior to Sony's free online when it in fact wasn't. They did this so long that both Sony and Nintendo eventually decided to offer paid online.

But hey guys! Lack of Crossplay is pure evil, and MS is the good guys for implementing Crossplay, and is only looking out for the consumer, unlike that evil, evil Sony Corp!

What are you talking about, Xbox Live is far superior then PSN, everyone will tell that, even Sony diehard funs

I'm not familiar with it, but is there really a big difference between these two?

Ofc he is. He is most likely the worst thing that could happen to Xbox brand. I rly thin that if Mattrick wasnt forced to leave MS after e3 2013 Xbox would be in much better position then now. I am sure that at some point before Xbox One release he would abandon all these DRM BS . With him the future of Xbox looked good with all these exclusives and when Spancer was pointed as new head of Xbox everything gone to hell. He is a guy who you would like to do all Live BS and just keep hin away from everything hardware related.

Last edited by Srex117 - on 25 July 2020

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Srex117 said:

What are you talking about, Xbox Live is far superior then PSN, everyone will tell that, even Sony diehard funs

I'm not familiar with it, but is there really a big difference between these two?

Well its not big difference , i just over exaggerate a little bit. But it is for sure more robust and everything since Xbox is build to work with Live .

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Srex117 said:

It really isn't. Last gen between the 360 and PS3, most certainly. It's definitely more comparable now.

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Srex117 said:

No.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Srex117 said:

Nowadays, hardly anything worth mentioning. There's certain things that one console does that the other doesn't but as far as their basic annual online subscriptions, they're pretty identical.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Look... it's not his job to give his honest assessment of the industry. It's his job to claim what XBox is doing is the most awesome thing in the world. Every job I've ever had involved some degree of hypocrisy where I had to say things I didn't necessarily agree with. And if the situation changed I'd have to say something else. That's what PR is.

No, he isn't a hypocrite, he's a salesman. His job is to paint as rosy a picture of the Xbox line as he can, just like Sony and Nintendo have equivalent salespeople.. A lot of the decisions on Xbox are probably made by people in higher pay grades, including Satya Nadella.

SanAndreasX said:
No, he isn't a hypocrite, he's a salesman. His job is to paint as rosy a picture of the Xbox line as he can, just like Sony and Nintendo have equivalent salespeople.. A lot of the decisions on Xbox are probably made by people in higher pay grades, including Satya Nadella.

No, they aren't greedy elite billionaires, they're CEO's.. just doing their jobs...

At the top of the list of questions for a sales position asked during an interview is, 'are you a hypocrite'? If you don't have that 'quality', then they don't want anything to do with you. The bigger a hypocrite, the better the chances of climbing the mega corp ladder.

It's not like Phil is the only one like that in the industry as a whole, he's just one of the most desperate and therefore quite evident as of more recent years past.