By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console War - The July Events stand-off

Which lastest show was better?

PS5 58 67.44%

XSX 23 26.74%

Total:81
CGI-Quality said:
hinch said:

Yeah last gen were pretty slow moving. Saying that I'm one of the weird ones that did enjoy Shadowfall, haha. 

Many people enjoyed Shadowfall. 

Yer joshin, right? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Runa216 said:

Yer joshin, right? 

Uh, no. 

Really? I've never personally met anyone who thought it was good. Pretty, for sure, but not good. 

Personally, I got about 2-3 hours into the game, the game glitched, and no matter how many times I reloaded I just kept dying by falling through the level into the abyss. Garbage game. Not worth returning to. Then again, I'm not into FPS games in the first place (which is also why I think Halo looks boring as fuck, but I also think it looks like a late 360/early One game, not a launch game for the next generation. I also think it looks more like Halo 3 remastered than a whole new game)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

CGI-Quality said:
Runa216 said:

Really? I've never personally met anyone who thought it was good. Pretty, for sure, but not good. 

Personally, I got about 2-3 hours into the game, the game glitched, and no matter how many times I reloaded I just kept dying by falling through the level into the abyss. Garbage game. Not worth returning to. Then again, I'm not into FPS games in the first place (which is also why I think Halo looks boring as fuck, but I also think it looks like a late 360/early One game, not a launch game for the next generation. I also think it looks more like Halo 3 remastered than a whole new game)

I said people enjoyed it. What someone perceives as "good" or "bad" is really just their own interpretation.

yeah I'm just rambling at this point. Just wrote 1000+ words arguing with SalesMasterChief dude about how I'm sick of him calling me a hater so my thoughts are getting jumbled. 

Seriously, my disdain for Xbox isn't out of hatred, it's due to 10+ years of false promises and disappointment, yet any time I'm rightly critical of the company I get called a fanboy or a hater or some other stupid bullshit. "LIKE WHAT I LIKE OR ELSE!" is the feeling I get. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

The MS event was pretty much what I expected. It was a great promo for Game Pass and if it wasn't for the next gen consoles coming out, I think MS would have nailed it. However, since the next gen consoles ARE coming out, it completely backfired on them.

Like I've been saying for months, GP, Smart Delivery and 4k/120fps all sound great, until people see the games. With next gen around the corner we all want to be wow'ed and see new and exciting stuff, which is hard when you're making games that have to run on Xbox One and the average gaming pc too. That's why they had to use a lot of cgi smoke and mirrors and basically show nothing at all, while also making the Hell Blade 2 footage a lot less believable.

MS has been pretty open about their strategy but somehow people were still disappointed, probably because they had too much faith in the stuff Phil's been telling us about scalability. Halo was supposed to make a strong case for that, but at least now we know for sure. What surprised me the most about the Halo footage is why they didn't show a more exciting slice of gameplay or at least a nicely edited story trailer. Its like they just recorded 8 minutes of random gameplay and now they are telling us it was an old build... So let me get this straight. They spend 5 years and $500m on their biggest flag ship title. Build arguably the most important event in Xbox history around the Halo reveal, and then they accidentally show us an old build and a generic clip of random gameplay? It just doesn't make sense lol.

Sony also hasn't showed us a whole lot, but the difference is their proven track record. We know exactly what to expect from their 1st party studios and we know Sony is doing a full generational reset. It only makes sense that they will do a full gameplay reveal of HZW, Spider Man and probably throw a GOW2 in there in August. All games that were specifically designed for the ps5 and will likely have jaws dropping the floor on a global scale. After MS showing, I just don't see them coming back from that.

That being said, we all know MS isn't about selling Xboxes next gen and they will probably do great as a service. For better or worse, I bet most of their ip's will be turned into GAAS or episodic titles to keep people engaged with GP.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 26 July 2020

My little brother, who I share a flat with, has said he's planning to buy a PS5, so I guess I'll just play Horizon Forbidden West and any other PS5 titles that catch my eye on his; we share all our consoles. (Except for the Switch since he wanted to take it on the go and so got his own)

I guess if I get a Series X, then between us we'll have access to the full breadth of the next gen. They'll need a few more games to win me over though; Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 are on my "interested" list, but it'll take more games than that til I'm willing to drop $600+ AUD.

I hope what MS just showed isn't all we're getting as far as big games for the next 2 years.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 July 2020

Around the Network

PS5 vs Xbox Series X for me pretty much comes down to Halo Infinite vs Horizon Forbidden West at this point.

And that's a tough call. Both look like games I would likely enjoy. For all that its graphics are underwhelming, Halo gets brownie points for showing actual gameplay; game trailers composed entirely of cinematic are a big pet peeve of mine.

Chazore said:
Neither of them really did much for me tbh.

There's that one game from Rare that I like, but that's about it. I feel no desire to grab any system, based on those offerings.

Well you are a PC player mostly so I wasn't expecting you to feel the urge to buy any of the two consoles at launch.

chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's go.

Phil promised that Xbox One isn't holding Series X back and that the game was made ground up to take advantage of Series X (including on the show), so we can't really discounted that for the graphics, if you liked the gameplay and it going open world that is fine and you can certainly think it is the best game to be released next gen from all announced so far.

Medium, Phantasy Star Online, Stalker 2 are timed exclusives right?

Fable, Forza and Avowed barely showed anything, but yes were among the best graphical wise on the show (but not above what was on PS5 show imho).

Being in gamepass doesn't make the games better or anything, but yes I can see from the perspective of value proposition. But if I were to give points for that I would have to take points for games being on PC, and that would be a shot down on Xbox.

Everything that is MS Studio and had launch date or will launch in the release window was crossgen though (and not surprisingly the best looking games weren't crossgen).

Since you only mentioned the MS event titles none of what was show on PS interested you?

Wait, so you asked the question just to debate those who preferred Microsoft's presentation?

Nope. I discussed the points he brought not his preference. Even said that it is fine that he thinks Halo Infinite is the best game on launch for both consoles. And you can see that a lot of others gave reason why they prefered Xbox presentation and I didn't quote or discussed, because it was pointing personal taste instead of facts or similar. Also I was curious on why his mention of Sony but not listing a single thing he liked (or even disliked).

CGI-Quality said:
*Removed the Nintendo answer since it really isn't on the same level. I agree with that assessment.

Fair enough. Once we have the rumored presentation of both Sony and MS in August I plan on reddo the thread with links for the 2 or 3 MS presentations, the 2 Sony presentations and collection of Nintendo presentations for the year since they basically sliced their presentations over several months (and again to be fair they basically mostly listed soon to be released instead of games that will perhaps not release for the next 3 years like Sony and MS probably did).

FarleyMcFirefly said:
I was originally disappointed with the 8 minute direct, but after having time to digest everything I realized over half of the announcements I'm really looking forward to (Cadence physical! SMT3, SMT5).

That was the reason I listed Nintendo on the pool, even though it was a smaller presentation and also not showing next gen for fans of Switch it could potentialy be better than MS and Sony show.

curl-6 said:

My little brother, who I share a flat with, has said he's planning to buy a PS5, so I guess I'll just play Horizon Forbidden West and any other PS5 titles that catch my eye on his; we share all our consoles. (Except for the Switch since he wanted to take it on the go and so got his own)

I guess if I get a Series X, then between us we'll have access to the full breadth of the next gen. They'll need a few more games to win me over though; Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 are on my "interested" list, but it'll take more games than that til I'm willing to drop $600+ AUD.

I hope what MS just showed isn't all we're getting as far as big games for the next 2 years.

Good for you that you'll be able to enjoy both consoles plus switch without as much hardware investment. I try to help my friends with lending a lot of my games after I finish.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Chazore said:
Neither of them really did much for me tbh.

There's that one game from Rare that I like, but that's about it. I feel no desire to grab any system, based on those offerings.

Well you are a PC player mostly so I wasn't expecting you to feel the urge to buy any of the two consoles at launch.

It's not just me being on PC. I already own a Switch with games for it and a PS4 (which I had to sell my games for some quick money during covid), but it's that my tastes have changed over the years. I'm wanting more performance, more innovation and not just the same old, same old stuff (things like vastly improved AI, more choices and choices that matter, no mass grinding etc).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

It's not just me being on PC. I already own a Switch with games for it and a PS4 (which I had to sell my games for some quick money during covid), but it's that my tastes have changed over the years. I'm wanting more performance, more innovation and not just the same old, same old stuff (things like vastly improved AI, more choices and choices that matter, no mass grinding etc).

Understood and it is fair. But would you agree that you being mostly PC gamer it would take a lot for any console to really impress you and make you want to buy it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Understood and it is fair. But would you agree that you being mostly PC gamer it would take a lot for any console to really impress you and make you want to buy it?

Well yeah, things like having 144hz, modding capabilities, being able to increase performance and visuals to my liking, as well as supporting multiple peripherals is something I find very hard to come back from.

Like I just recently got around to playing MGSV, and I found a mod that increases object, shadow LoD's, as well as giving more sun shadow cascades, and it didn't really do a dent to my performance, which was a net plus for me and made my immersion all the better for it (also using Nvidia's HBAO+ over the game's default SSAO was better looking imo).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"