By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rate The Xbox Games Showcase

How Would You Rate The Xbox Game Showcase?

10 9 5.26%

9 11 6.43%

8 32 18.71%

7 19 11.11%

6 35 20.47%

5 24 14.04%

4 19 11.11%

3 11 6.43%

2 7 4.09%

1 4 2.34%

Total:171
goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Undead Labs is unproven, this is their first AAA title. Logic dictates to not over expect anything but I think it’s fair to hope for high 70s/ low 80s. Plenty AAA games fall within that window even PS IPs. 

Hey in this regard, you do you. If you are compelled to stir the pot against Xbox but play their games at the same time that tells me MS doing something right. It’s not a moral victory it’s an observation that someone who isn’t particularity fond of the Xbox brand is giving their money but especially time to it. 

Series X appeals to console gamers. Their studios, services and hardware appeal to people looking between the big 3. If you have a upgraded PC even someone like me will have a hard time convincing you to get a console when their games are day and date with PC. But that’s the point...they making customers out of people that traditionally  have no motivation to invest in Xbox. From my point of view, you turn on your Windows PC, open your dedicated Xbox/Game Pass app on the home screen, and spend time playing Xbox games...you don’t need a console. You all ready deeply ingrained within MS.

That scenario to me isn’t locked to just MS. Sony can just as much benefit if they go full 3rd party. PS Now is available on PC and could just as easily be available on competing platforms. And their games are slowly coming to PC stores. Hardware is never where the money comes from in gaming. Personally, I’d just build a gaming PC. I’m not very fond of PS hardware and features. 

Well, who knows. Maybe SOD3 will turn out great, it's just that we can't really say. All we have is their current track record and it isn't very good. The thing is that we can't really predict anything from what we've seen so far. Can Playground make a RPG to rival the Witcher? I dunno, if Polyphony was making it, I would also have my doubts until I'd see some tangible gameplay footage. Will Avow be the next Skyrim, or is it something like Outer Worlds in a medieval setting? Its just a lot of question marks. 

I have nothing against the Xbox brand, it's just that I'm a lot more skeptical than you based on MS's historical track-record of poor decision making. I was a real 360 guy before they went all crazy on us with Kinect. I didn't sulk about it. I was just disappointed, sold my 360 and stuck with Sony and pc ever since. When they announced Series X I was super excited about the specs alone. All they had to do to win me back over is show me 1 AAA exclusive that shows what the thing can do. Unfortunately, it just don't seem they can. Not because it isn't an amazing piece of kit or that MS's studios suck, its because they are again looking past the core console market, because its not a big enough market for them.

Imo if MS would go full 3rd party, nothing would be affected. They would be rolling out the exact same games we'll be getting now, games designed to scale up and down a family of devices so we can all play them. The reason why I wouldn't want Sony to do it is because they are doing a traditional hard reset. If Sony is so excited about their SSD tech, I want to see them make ps5 games that take full advantage of it, and clearly show why they couldn't run on lesser hardware, let alone the ps4. 

I do agree that Sony hasn't quite done that yet, but that's mostly because they didn't show a lot of gameplay footage. However, I am 100% sure that they will when we'll get a full gameplay reveal of HZW, Spider Man and we'll hopefully see GOW2 in August. Maybe that sound extremely biased but that is only because Sony has earned my trust by consistently delivering quality stuff.

That's a valid point. I can put my hopes on sony cuz they have certainly delivered and givem me plenty to trust them. I really don't see what Xbox fans base this trust on and wait they keep waiting for over a decade now.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

An abused spouse analogy, the quality of discussion keeps peaking.

EpicRandy said:
goopy20 said:

Hmm you're willing to bet SOD3 will have a higher metacritic than the lowest rated Sony exclusive, and even then you're not entirely sure its a safe bet... That doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence in that AAA game lol. How about comparing it to GOW, TLOU, HZD, Spiderman etc? I'll make you a counter bet, though, and wager that Halo Infinite will score lower than Ghost of Sushi ;)

Hell yeah I'm using GP, I'd be crazy not too. I was curious and wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on anything and played the couple of exclusives MS does have. I'm not some fanboy who is blindly loyal to a specific console brand and I used to be a much bigger customer for MS. I did buy the OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and a shit ton of games to go with them. Current gen is actually the first time I didn't get a Xbox and that was simply because they had nothing to offer me. Which is pretty sad, considering I don't need much incentive to buy a console. Hell, I bought a Switch just to play BOTW.

If MS making $6 of off me for using GP feels like a moral victory to you, then have at it. But I would much rather see them try a bit harder to convince me why I need a Series X in my life.

Runa216 raised an interesting question. How would you feel if MS went full 3rd party? No more consoles, just GP which they would offer on ps5, Switch and PC. MS would make a fortune and you could gloat about how all the Xbox haters would be giving their money to MS. When you think about it, it would actually make a lot of sense for MS to go that route. So, would that be a good or bad thing for you?

71 is not a bad score and the game the "being the lowest rated Sony exclusive" have no value here since it's still the most fitted games to compare to SOD and it also a good game and well appreciated from fans. Also Bend Studio is twice the size of Undead labs, so if undead labs can produce a game that is better received by critics it's still something. 

That doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence in that AAA game: Many AAA were shown at the show, SOD3 ain't one of them. you can't produce AAA title with ~60 employees.

If MS making $6 of off me for using GP feels like a moral victory to you, then have at it. A single subscription certainly does not constitute a victory, but you seems to thinl you're alone in this situation. There's more likely hundreds of thousands (and I'm one of them too) in the same situation and this certainly constitute a victory. 

How would you feel if MS went full 3rd party? For me it would feel like a loss of an essential competition nothing more. And by the way it would also made a lot of sense for Sony and Nintendo to go that route financially but this has close to 0 chance of happening in the near future. I would be happy though as gamers would end winning a lot. 

Ninja Theory has around 90 staff and the Initiative has 44 employees. People are still expecting AAA and AAAA games them, right?

The GP business model obviously wouldn't work if they started putting $200m games like Gears 5 on there and people cancel the $1 trial subscription right after they finished the game. They need content that is low risk, fast output and gets people engaged with the service. Think of it as a tv series vs a single AAA blockbuster movie.

~Thread Banned.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 July 2020

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

I don’t know. MS held things back. Sony held back games too. We’ll see 

Forza Horizon 5 is likely the AAA game of 2021. Will be 4 years since the last one. Psychonauts 2, Grounded, AoE 4 for PC. And XGS Publishing/those timed exclusives should round out the year. Imo 2022 is when the real magic happens. Big exclusives from devs with years of experience developing with Series X hardware. 

Wow. We are back to waiting. I know your upset at runa and fell insulted but he is right. There seems no limited amount of beating You are willing to take for You to stop defending this company. You are now claiming that after all theese years of disappointment and overpromising we still need 2 more years of waiting. Because 7 was not enough. And I would argue 10 becasue the end of the 360 was absolute trash in my opinion.

The worst part is that no one is telling xbox fans to stop buying the product and enjoy it and suport and all that. Just demand from MS not to be treated like trash and maybe they will listen. As things stand now they know there is not limit to the punishment fans will take.

We're not back to waiting, we are simply still waiting. But the wait for Microsoft to show investment and commitment has certainly ended and this is something to be genuinely happy with.
Just demand from MS not to be treated like trash and maybe they will listen. Microsoft have made many mistake to which ended costing them a lot but I never felt like they treated me like trash. They just made genuine error had lasting effects. I swear there's is no rooms at Microsoft full of executives laughing at there customer and elaborating plan to rip them off.

It also seems to me that Microsoft have taken all the right steps to address the current situation. You can only keep the "Microsoft treat there customer like trash" narrative just because their recent work have not yet fully come to fruition.   

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 27 July 2020

goopy20 said:
EpicRandy said:

71 is not a bad score and the game the "being the lowest rated Sony exclusive" have no value here since it's still the most fitted games to compare to SOD and it also a good game and well appreciated from fans. Also Bend Studio is twice the size of Undead labs, so if undead labs can produce a game that is better received by critics it's still something. 

That doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence in that AAA game: Many AAA were shown at the show, SOD3 ain't one of them. you can't produce AAA title with ~60 employees.

If MS making $6 of off me for using GP feels like a moral victory to you, then have at it. A single subscription certainly does not constitute a victory, but you seems to thinl you're alone in this situation. There's more likely hundreds of thousands (and I'm one of them too) in the same situation and this certainly constitute a victory. 

How would you feel if MS went full 3rd party? For me it would feel like a loss of an essential competition nothing more. And by the way it would also made a lot of sense for Sony and Nintendo to go that route financially but this has close to 0 chance of happening in the near future. I would be happy though as gamers would end winning a lot. 

Ninja Theory has around 90 staff and the Initiative has 44 employees. People are still expecting AAA and AAAA games them, right?

The GP business model obviously wouldn't work if they started putting $200m games like Gears 5 on there and people cancel the $1 trial subscription right after they finished the game. They need content that is low risk, fast output and gets people engaged with the service. Think of it as a tv series vs a single AAA blockbuster movie.

AAA refer solely to budget. AAAA term simply don't exist. If you were to give a budget of 40M to a team of 60 it would take like 10 years to use.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Hey I get it, you have good personal reason to be who you are. The misteps aren’t lost on me either. Doesn’t change you are now jaded and have a more pessimistic view. I chose to be more optimistic

I’m simply seeing them doing things that they never did even at their best (early 360 years). They invest in powerful hardware, which is something I wanted after Xbox One disappointed. Their BC approach is the best in the industry, and I do use that time to time. Carrying forward my library matters to me. Game Pass allows me to play thousands of dollars worth of games for cheap. The trinity appeals to me. And now they have more games in development then they ever had. Far away or not it’s signs of genuine change, regardless of how long I have to wait to play all of them. I don’t need to see gameplay to have 100% faith in Obsidian and Playground. 

And imo, the PC route they taking is genius. For console only gamers this means nothing for obvious reasons. People who game on PC either do so exclusively or have a combination of PS and Nintendo. They have 0 motivation to get a Xbox console. MS found a way to make them Xbox gamers. Even people like Goopy admit to going to play Halo on PC. That alone should tell you something. MS literally is making customers out of haters, adding to their ecosystem. They give them money, even if through Steam, make a Xbox account, and most importantly...give them their precious time instead of playing somewhere else.

So I guess that’s it. We just have a different outlook. That and PS exclusives just don’t appeal to me. I mean KZ and LOU are tempting but the sequels just didn’t do it for me narratively speaking. They hardly offer any multiplayer either which is huge to me. 

That's not optimism, that's delusion. Back when the Xbox One came out and they promised a rejuvenated life cycle after the twilight years of the 360 were barren, THAT's optimism. "Yeah, they did it before, they can do it again!" THAT is optimism. This? 7 years later and STILL no fulfillment on promises? 7 years later and they're still touting 'the most powerful console' yet having nothing to show for it? 7 years later and they STILL haven't been able to launch a new IP or get good games with all the companies they own? 7 years later and we STILL don't have Scalebound? 7 years later and they're STILL Suffering a drought of high quality, high-profile games? 7 years later and they STILL can't bring old franchises back to their glory days?

You're not a fan or a fanatic or a fanboy, you're an abused spouse who won't leave because you've got it in your head this is the only way. Microsoft keeps hurting you and you keep coming back despite all your friends telling you he's abusive. Hell, you even know they're abusive but you have faith they'll get better despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary. Despite all the lies and failures, you still trust them. 

I don't even wanna argue with you anymore. I just feel sorry for you. Especially since it seems even you agree that them going third party would be best for everyone. You said their "PC strategy" is genius. You love Microsoft studios and gamepass, not Xbox. 

MY argument has always been that this presentation and everything in the last 7 years has not led up to having ANY reason to buy an Xbox. You concede that the value is in GamePass and playing the games on PC and have done little to nothing to say the Xbox Itself is a good deal. You're still arguing, even though all your points seem to agree with me. You agree that Microsoft is better not as a console manufacturer but as a game developer, yet you're still getting every jab in that you can any time I criticize the company. You defend Microsoft and the Xbox yet...upon reflection, don't even seem to have faith in the console even after all the nonsense. You're arguing for the console while cheekily avoiding actually making any points about the quality of the console itself.

I guess...when it's all said and done, you accept the Xbox is a lost cause and that Microsoft should focus on making games. 

I think we're done here. 

~Banned.

Gamepass is an awesome service.  Buying an XBox allows me to access that service without paying too much on a machine that I probably won't (for gaming at least) outside of Gamepass. Really not hard to see how gamepass adds value to owning an X-Box. Also rather bizarre that anything Microsoft does well doesn't count unless it's only available on a particular box. 

CGI-Quality said:
Runa216 said:

The reason I said 'ccccombo breaker' to that post about the Killzone trailer was that I liked how it introduced a new discussion point to the table. That point being that, what's worse? A gameplay demo that's underwhelming or a faux gameplay trailer that overlays its hand? We've seen countless times games that get a serious downgrade after the marketing and end up pissing people off (see: Watch_Dogs). I'd rather have a Halo Infinite gameplay demo that's underwhelming but actually represents the quality of the game (See: Fallout 4) than what we got with Killzone and Watch_Dogs. 

Just a nice little twist on the narrative here. Maybe that wasn't even what he meant by the Killzone trailer, but that's what I took away from it.

Well, Killzone 2 and WATCH_DOGS were still totally different situations. WATCH_DOGS truly did get a downgrade later on (meaning they showed it being played, and then the next bits continued to get visually worse and worse). It also doesn't apply to Halo because this is the first time we've actually seen it being played (even though the footage of Chief and that guy talking was running on the engine, but just speaking on like-for-like situations). 

In truth, there aren't that many situations where games have seen considerable downgrades (there are actually only a handful and usually come from Ubisoft :P). Displaying a target render (usually involving offline prerendered footage) and showing true engine/gameplay (followed up with a considerable quality degradation) are usually lumped together as one entity. I know the average gamer does't know the difference (and it is on the dev either way), but that distinction is necessary in a discussion like this.

Feel like I have to mention the first trailer announcement from E3 2018 was also 'in-engine', and had at least one running shot with a Warthog traversing the open world. You can draw a comparison from that, and honestly, it's a rather bad downgrade.

Halo Infinite really needs some work to be considered 'next-gen'.

eva01beserk said:
Shaunodon said:

A Forza game is very likely during that window. Probably Forza Horizon 5, as Forza Motorsport is apparently in early development.

As we saw with Forza Horizon 2-- really the only great exclusive to launch during year one this gen --Playground Games (and another studio if necessary) will have no problem releasing this title cross-gen and optimising performance for next-gen.

Halo MCC, which at it's core is an amazing package, obviously launched as a mess. Otherwise that would've been the other killer year one app of this gen.

Funny enough, Xbox could look very much the same this upcoming gen. Except it'll be a whole new and innovative Halo (that'll hopefully not launch as a mess), and Forza Horizon titles have only gotten more exceptional with each release.

2 potential must-have exclusives for year one next-gen and current Xbox owners, along with all the other smaller titles they're throwing in. That'd be pretty impressive in my book.

I think the bold sumirises your post 100%. This only seems interestingng if your already into the Holy Trinity and after the period expires we have mothing to go on as we saw nothing. I really dont any need to purchase a series x for the forseable future.

Feels a bit weird to reply to someone not allowed in this thread anymore, but I just want to point out how odd this argument is.

This is the same lame point people try to use against Nintendo games somehow. Like only certain types of people can really like them. It's fine if you personally don't want to open your mind to them, but trying to pretend like a great Halo game and Forza Horizon don't appeal to a boat load of people is rather laughable.

These games can easily be must-have system sellers. The unknown factor is when they'll be ready for next-gen. I'm hoping they don't try to launch Halo Infinite prematurely.

I give it a 6 or 7. I still plan on getting the series X as soon as I can. I just love gamepass and I need to upgrade from my launch xbox one model

sales2099 said:
^^^ Thank you, theres a level headed objective take. Bravo, especially given your preferences.

As I told you, I liked the May event from MS, even more because it showed how good even an Indie game made by 1 dev (didn't like the type of game but that is personal taste, still I though it was damn impressive). The games and trailers on July event were fine as well, just underwhelmed by Halo because I expected a true looker and well the rest is mostly my gaming preference. You probably would have it reversed looking at Sony presentation, would think the games look fine but not to your taste.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."