By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rate The Xbox Games Showcase

How Would You Rate The Xbox Game Showcase?

10 9 5.26%

9 11 6.43%

8 32 18.71%

7 19 11.11%

6 35 20.47%

5 24 14.04%

4 19 11.11%

3 11 6.43%

2 7 4.09%

1 4 2.34%

Total:171
hinch said:

Yeah there's Covid, but honestly, its been in development for 5 years. Its not really an excuse other than crunch and/or development issues. I'm sure it will be a solid game at the end. Its just a shame as a flagship title MS should have pushed 343 for being well, that (in terms of graphics fidelity). They did really well with Halo 4 and 5. Saying that, there's still time to polish the game and ray-tracing has yet to be shown.

Halo 4 looked great for a 360 game, but are we now pretending people were happy with Halo 5 visually?

Halo 5 had significant pop in that really hurt the overall presentation. The game also didn't look crisp until we got the Xbox One X, but it didn't fix the pop in.

We could argue Halo Infinite isn't up to snuff for 9th gen, nor should it be given it was being developed for Xbox One and as a Series X launch title. However, it at least looks like a polished game hitting 4K/60 fps.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
pariz said:
As a Nintendo loyalist and a PlayStation early adopter, back in the PSX era, I valued this presentation as a 10. I actually loved the games shown and the fact that they are all included in GamePass was a major selling point for me.
I've decided I'll be buying a Series X and at mid generation a PS5, to buy its exclusives cheaper with the money I've saved with GamePass.

Now there's something I hadn't thought of! I'll definitely have spent less on Xbox games than I would if I bought them, rather than doing GamePass like I'm planning to do. That will save me quite a bit of money that I could use to buy PS5 and games if I wanted lol.

rewatched it....

The good stuff (basically just name drops):
State of Decay trailer (CGI only, but looked good)
Fable intro (CGI only, but looked good)

The bad:
Halo Infinate, doesnt look next gen in terms of graphhics, and gameplay didnt wow in showing.
The CGI trailers for halo leading upto the show, and in it, were all good, but... the gameplay & graphics ingame... ouch.
They didnt show anything about Hellblade, was expecting more trailer or some gameplay.
The Initiative, rumored to have a major budget, didnt show or tease anything.

Overall this show was kinda a poopy one.
How the hell people are rateing it 6-8, I dont know... thats hellva generious scoreing.

There was not 1 "wow these graphics" moment (gameplay) dureing the entire thing.
Dispite all the talk of 12 Tflops.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 24 July 2020

Fei-Hung said:
Here is the thing I was asking myself the other day. Had Phil not come out and blew his own trumpet with, we got nothing to worry about after seeing sonys conference, this would have been a better showing. Had he not responded to their own previous showcase and said we got gameplay covered, I would have rated it better.

Sometimes the Sony approach is good. Don't set expectations stupidly high cuz if you do, you will end up hanging yourself. Phil set his own bar and then failed to get over it.

It seems like Phil wants everything. He wants to win the console war, SSD war, TF war, Gamepass war, most studios war, xcloud war, everything. As a result he has to make it sound like everything is amazing and catered for when it isn't.

Just concentrate on what you must and deliver. If xbox is going to be about gamepass and sales and hardware dont matter so much, don't make a sing and dance about it. There is nothing wrong with that until you flip flop. No gens he says, but then at least 6 games were next gen only.

The showcase was sabotaged by Phil. He essentially done a Peter Molyneux by promising the world.

He set expections high yes.... but even without that, you would draw comparisions to the sony event.
This even without him hypeing it up to all hell, is still a letdown.

This is a worse showing than the Sony one.

Will post the same I did on the event thread. I was typing as I was watching.

First on Halo Infinite, I have to say even Ratchet and Clank looked more impressive on the graphic technical side. I was underwhelmed =[, and sincerely didn't see the power of Series X being used from ground up. Face models itself didn't look better than even current gen games like TLOU2 or heck even GoT.
Will say that with State of Decay 3 I was a lot more impressed and it have a good looking demo presented. Not on the level of Horizon 2 Forbidden West imho, but well we need to see more on both, but so far it seemed good.
Phill Spencer can't get enough of his "the most, better, biggest, powerfull console yet" =p, strange that he says FM was captured fully in engine but didn't say the same for the previous 2 titles.
Forza looks great as expected, still is the single IP MS have been able to deliver with consistency on quality. It was a very short trailer so I'll wait DF comparison, if they make one, on how it and GT7 compares to one another, I expect the power advantage of Series X to give a leg up to FM.
Everwild is pretty but look like an Indie game, I would expect that from Double Fine (it matches with their point and click DNA) but for Rare that is a let down.
Tell me why looks like a fine 8gen game with cartoony texture for facial model. Won't blame it on MS since it is a third party that they got for temp or full exclusive.
Well Ori being updated to run 120fps isn't unexpected at all, but it is a pretty game with nice elements/artifacts.
Outer Worlds Gorgon for me doesn't even look like a good 8gen game.
Grounded is an interesting idea, doesn't look like a next gen game, but I know my son is thrilled for it and that I loved the movie. But I swear it was already released by the quantity of youtube video my son watched on it already.
Avowed looks like a proper next gen game and looking good by Obsidian (congrats on having 3 very good games developed at the same time), and no wonder it won't release on a current gen platform (despite being revealed within the timeframe of the crossgen for the next 2 years). But it don't have a reveal date, so may be just a early show-off.
As dusk falls seems a pretty nice indie with point and click or choice based system.
Hellblade 2 have a lot of potential, no date yet, but studio still isn't that big, let's see how it will unfold.
Psychonauts 2, underwhelming to cut it short.
Stalker 2 looks fine, but we didn't see what type of game is it going to be did we? But since it is timed exclusive (something Phil said he doesn't believe in but we will find people forgiving him), doesn't really matter much.
Warhammer 4000, lukewarm but since not MS studio not their fault, also timed exclusive.
Tetris effects, meeehhhhh, also not MS fault, but timed exclusive.
The gunk, liked the colors, but seem like a forgetable game, again not MS fault and also timed exclusive.
The medium, graphics look gen 8, but I really liked the idea of the 2 renders simultaneously, need to see how they will make that work in the gameplay and if you need to solve puzzles or challenges in on side or the other or both at the same time, or have enemies/traps coming differently on both and need to deal at same time. Good concept. Another timed exclusive, so doesn't really give leverage to MS.
Phantasy Star Online 2, lookf like a very good gen 8 game, and sure there is a good fanbase for it, not sure if it being free to play will help or not sales of XSX.
CrossfireX, not that impressive, but timed exclusive, so much for the rumors that Sony was buying Remedy =p
Fable didn't show much, but well it was very pretty, seems like the rumors were true and Playground will do a fine entry on it. And the userbase will be happy with it, they have been waiting for quite a good time.

The show in a whole doesn't really seem better than PS5 event, and even had only Halo gameplay everything else is trailer of cutscene, similar to sony reveal. So good guy Phill wasn't telling the truth on back to back gameplay or 3rd party exclusives being bad right?

I wasn't wrong when I said I didn't expect this show to be better than PS5 event.

For me the event was 7/10. Good show, but not as exciting and impressive as PS5 one was for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

^^^ Thank you, theres a level headed objective take. Bravo, especially given your preferences.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Mr Puggsly said:
SammyGiireal said:
There is actual pop up in Halo Infinite...so much for the SSD eliminating the issue.

I still don't understand how SSD is supposed to fix that.

Asset streaming should be much quicker. Microsoft and Sony have been touting the end of loading and pop up for months now.

d21lewis said:
Otter said:

Whats weirder is that the pop on near field grass is something I haven't even seen in recent games like TLOU2 or Ghost. TLOU2 had distant pop in but halo literally had grass meters from the character pulling magic tricks. This couldn't have been a vertical slice that they have been working on for months, it just doesn't add up. In my head I'm thinking that they are working day and night to get this running on OG Xbox One and Series is subsequently an after thought 

I have a PS4 Pro and I saw pop up in TLoU2. To the point where I commented that it was probably meant to run on a PS5. I was even shocked that digital Foundry never mentioned it. It got better as the game went on (or I just stopped noticing it) but saying it doesn't exist is just false.

*Edit* and re-reading your post, I now feel like a fool. My apologies.

There is pop, but you really have to look for it. Sort of like RDR2, you really have to look for it, as the developers did a good job hiding it, and stretching the draw in distance. In Halo Infinite the pop up issues are right in your face.

YongYea's Take.

SammyGiireal said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I still don't understand how SSD is supposed to fix that.

Asset streaming should be much quicker. Microsoft and Sony have been touting the end of loading and pop up for months now.

If its just an issue of asset streaming then it should be addressed already. I remain skeptical about this claim and trailers haven't changed that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)