By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rate The Xbox Games Showcase

How Would You Rate The Xbox Game Showcase?

10 9 5.26%

9 11 6.43%

8 32 18.71%

7 19 11.11%

6 35 20.47%

5 24 14.04%

4 19 11.11%

3 11 6.43%

2 7 4.09%

1 4 2.34%

Total:171

Underwhelming show for a system constantly touted as the most powerful console. MS already had a hard road ahead of them due to their position in current gen status. Don't see how what they showed is going to change that next gen.. where was the eye candy? Where was the power you so talk about so much? Where was the visible hardware advantage?  Your next gen flagship title looked sub par even for this gen. You set your own bar high by tooting your own horn for weeks and that was it? That's what you're tooting about? That was the lesson learned from the backlash back in May? MS needed to prove something and what we got instead was an excuse of having used an early build. Sorry.. I just don't see it.

Why even move forward with next gen if you're not ready for it?

Last edited by BillyBong - on 24 July 2020

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

YongYea's Take.

So I saw he basically said Halo Infinite needs to be up to par with what Sony is doing visually. But why?

If we agree the game can be successful with those graphics, has the potential to be the best game from 343 and we also recognize its a large scale game being made with Xbox One as the lead, why does it also need to compete with Sony's best visuals?

Last, I'm not gonna argue Halo Infinite looks amazing. But I am also not going to pretend it looks bad. To me it looks like Halo 5's presentation living up to its potential and I like it.

Edit: On a side note, Halo:MCC has been doing amazing on Steam. For fans of the series, its not just about graphics.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 24 July 2020

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

For me it is a solid 8/10 but I admit I would have rated it lower if it was not for the fact that every games announced are coming to Game Pass.
I think some people just don't realize a how big of a deal that is.
This event did not sold me a Series X but it certainly sold me a Game Pass subscription, if i were to buy those 20+ games at launch I would have to shell about 1800$ CAD just for the games. Now I only need to spend 6-12$ CAD/month (Pc or Xbox still undecided) and have access to dozens other games.

The commitment from Microsoft to support Game Pass with all their first party and strike deals with many third parties really is the single biggest gaming announcement of the year (to date).

BillyBong said:

So delay both consoles until we get some "true" next gen titles?

Those who buy next gen consoles will get more impressive experiences on day one. There isn't a gun to your head though, you aren't obligated to buy these machines at launch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I will admit I got half a mungrel with the Fable 4 announcement.

Halo: Infinite was a big let down, I get artistically they are going "back to basics" but the world just seems sterile, the characters just seem "off".
The Elites look much better though... And engine-wise I don't actually see any new or novel rendering techniques that make me pause, the popin was definitely there and noticeable, some of the sprite work seemed to really stick out for me.

They definitely borrowed some gameplay ideas from Doom, which is fine if they can make it work... End of the day though, it will be about the gameplay, but they definitely need to improve the visuals between now and release, it's not representing what next-gen is all about.

Forza looked amazing, visually it's extremely crisp, clean and looking downright spectacular, levering all the latest and greatest technologies.

Ori getting enhanced for Series X was also a highlight for me, granted it's not even pushing the Xbox One X 100%, that game is art over fidelity, which is a good thing... And something Halo needs to recognize and emulate.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

YongYea's Take.

Hes 100% correct.
Like the graphics differnce between Halo infinate, and say what you see in HZD2, is massive.
They dont look like two games you would find in the same generation of consoles.
Like its almost that bad.

Mr Puggsly said:
LivingMetal said:

YongYea's Take.

So I saw he basically said Halo Infinite needs to be up to par with what Sony is doing visually. But why?

If we agree the game can be successful with those graphics, has the potential to be the best game from 343 and we also recognize its a large scale game being made with Xbox One as the lead, why does it also need to compete with Sony's best visuals?

Last, I'm not gonna argue Halo Infinite looks amazing. But I am also not going to pretend it looks bad. To me it looks like Halo 5's presentation living up to its potential and I like it.

Edit: On a side note, Halo:MCC has been doing amazing on Steam. For fans of the series, its not just about graphics.

Imbrace mediocrity? its all just gamepass filler?

The why, is the same reason you sell a new gen of consoles, in the past.
To make better looking games. You expect if one console maker is going out of their way to make beautifull looking games, their competiton would follow.

As a consumer wouldnt you want that as well?
Whats the point of makeing a ugly looking Halo game? its cheaper? quicker done?

Also halo was supposed to be the game that sold people on getting a xbox series x.
You expected a show peice, that could wow people with its graphics.
Instead you got something that basically looks current gen (like it would look and play the same on the 6TF xbox one x), and makes you question, why get a xbox series x? (ontop of that, I'd argue that theres tons of current gen games that look way better)

"But I am also not going to pretend it looks bad."

Look at the stiff faces, that lack expressions, that make sounds/grunts/speek without their mouths moveing.
Yep... thats just fantastic, model work, doesnt look bad.

Pemalite said:

Ori getting enhanced for Series X was also a highlight for me, granted it's not even pushing the Xbox One X 100%, that game is art over fidelity, which is a good thing... And something Halo needs to recognize and emulate.

"art over fidelity" seems counter to "not even pushing the xbox one x".

Also it was 4k and 60fps already.
Visually the Series X enhancement doesnt do anything to the graphics right? its just able to run 120fps now instead...

How many people even have 120 fps TV's?
60fps was probably smooth enough (its a platformer, not a Online competitive shooter), most people probably wont even notice the extra 60 fps (if they even have a tv that can show it).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 24 July 2020

Mr Puggsly said:
BillyBong said:

Those who buy next gen consoles will get more impressive experiences on day one. There isn't a gun to your head though, you aren't obligated to buy these machines at launch.

edit.. had a long post, but..

it doesn't matter in the end.  first impressions matter for next gen and MS dropped the ball with a flagship title. 

BillyBong said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Has nothing to do with what I said.  You're lying to yourself if you believe what MS showed can't be done on current gen.

Fact of the matter is, all the huffing puffing d*ck measuring that MS was throwing around with XseX, most powerful, 12TF, faster CPU, etc.. talking about confidence in the games they're going to show led by said flagship title, after saying you're confident of your games after the Sony show, lackluster May showcase, and now a few months from new gen launch and that was all you could muster for a first party flagship launch title??  mediocre gameplay and trailers with no meat.... 

Sorry, MS doesn't seem ready to play ball next gen yet.  When all the crap and miscues from this gen still lingering in the background and fresh on people's mind and the importance of first impressions moving into next gen, especially from one of your own highly touted flagship studios and flagship titles, this just didn't cut it.

If anything, this showing just made me more confident in what I'll eventually purchase.  At least in Sony's defense, you have more than capable first party devs who'll maximize the potential of Sony's console.  Small glimpses of what to expect now, even if not "next gen", and given their history what you could get later.  Same thing can't be said for MS at the moment.. Just don't see how they can be defended.  

Think of it this way...Xbox has a bad habit of starting strong and tapering off. By mid gen we be lucky to get one AAA exclusive per year.

Now we have all these juicy trailers with no gameplay, what does that tell you? It tells me Xbox getting great games in the mid gen when they finally ready. Year 2 and 3 are gonna be great years to be a Xbox gamer. Confirmed gen over gen improvement :)  

You can’t honestly tell me Fable and Avowed won’t be great because you didn’t see gameplay. Gimme a break. The premise of each and studio track record should speak for itself. Like despite not seeing gameplay, the end of Avowed alone warrants it being on many gamers watch lists. A LOTR Skyrim game exclusive to Xbox....Xbox hasn’t been the WRPG king since the 360 days. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 24 July 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

What you have is hope.  there's no indication that these studios will deliver.  you willing to bet $500-600 just to see?

And Fable.. yes, great!  made by the makers of Forizon and... more Forizon.  Jury still out on that one if they are a one trick pony.

I will say.. if MS makes great games.. awesome.  I'll play it on PC.  but showing what they showed.. i don't see how their pre-orders are going to be blowing up.  time will tell.