By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Sony will respond Game Pass?

Drakrami said:

MS is just not a good loser, if they are in 2nd place in something, they will hide the number; like their console hardware sales. 

When has Sony announced their last Vita numbers and what are they?

Around the Network
Conina said:
Drakrami said:

MS is just not a good loser, if they are in 2nd place in something, they will hide the number; like their console hardware sales. 

When has Sony announced their last Vita numbers and what are they?

Ah Vita VS 3DS. The only console war more hilarious than XB1 VS PS4!

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Halo 5: Microtransactions

Sea of Thieves: Released in an unfinished state.

State of Decay 2: Released unfinished.

Gears 4 :Microtransactions

Bleeding Edge: Released in a barebones state.

Gears 5 Even MORE Microtransactions

Halo Infinite: Full on GaaS/Fortnite/Destiny style game design.

Even MS knows the Gamepass model isn't sustainable without either getting lazy, or heavily leaning into Microtransactions.

P.S. What is the state of Microtransactions in Forza?

Halo 5, Gears 4/5 are all full campaign and multiplayer modes. You don’t have to spend a penny on micros and play the same meaty games as previous entries in the series. If you want a pink Lancer or a rare Halo helmet then sure, that’s your choice. 

SoT and SoD were advertised as games as a service. Today each game has substantial content then if they were single releases. That’s just the double edge sword of GaaS: lesser short term content but superior long term content. Nobody pressuring you to play these games day 1. I myself didn’t pick up SoT until it’s anniversary update.

Bleeding Edge to a lesser degree as it was marketed as a small scale passion project. As for Forza they are among the most non instructive micros in the industry. Played Forza Horizon 4 with no incentive to purchase any DLC. 

I think the big difference you aren’t seeing is that Xbox does multiplayer. PlayStation does “one and done” games. Completely different takes on gaming experiences. And as we see above, when Sony does make a game with multiplayer like GT Sport they charge plenty with micros. Instead of focusing on your examples having micros, I prefer to look at it as: Xbox games have a full campaign and multiplayer component where as PlayStation mostly just does single player. Xbox puts in the effort to make games last. 

We see that effort on the score those games get right.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:

Halo 5, Gears 4/5 are all full campaign and multiplayer modes. You don’t have to spend a penny on micros and play the same meaty games as previous entries in the series. If you want a pink Lancer or a rare Halo helmet then sure, that’s your choice. 

SoT and SoD were advertised as games as a service. Today each game has substantial content then if they were single releases. That’s just the double edge sword of GaaS: lesser short term content but superior long term content. Nobody pressuring you to play these games day 1. I myself didn’t pick up SoT until it’s anniversary update.

Bleeding Edge to a lesser degree as it was marketed as a small scale passion project. As for Forza they are among the most non instructive micros in the industry. Played Forza Horizon 4 with no incentive to purchase any DLC. 

I think the big difference you aren’t seeing is that Xbox does multiplayer. PlayStation does “one and done” games. Completely different takes on gaming experiences. And as we see above, when Sony does make a game with multiplayer like GT Sport they charge plenty with micros. Instead of focusing on your examples having micros, I prefer to look at it as: Xbox games have a full campaign and multiplayer component where as PlayStation mostly just does single player. Xbox puts in the effort to make games last. 

A 10 hour campaign is meaty? Ok. 

You know what I have to do to change the color of my armor in GoT? Spend 15 of the flowers that are littered all over the game. 

GaaS isn't superior long term content. It's watered down content. They take 50 hours of gameplay and stretch it out into 300 hours, with artificial game lengtheners. Meanwhile a good single player game will offer up 20-100 hours of gameplay that respects your time. GaaS is like a single bottle of Soda watered down into twelve bottles. 

Advertising games as being bad, doesn't excuse them from being bad. 

What is a non-instructive MTX? 

You are right to speculate that Sony would have all MTX in their games if all their games were multiplayer based. It's pretty clear, that Sony would do that if their focus was on multiplayer. Thankfully it's not. 

Multiplayer takes considerably less effort and assets than single player. This particular point isn't one that you can't argue with me on (or anybody that has bothered to try their hand at making games). 

Sorry I mean non intrusive, as in Forza never made me feel like I had to spend money. Otherwise there isn’t much to say because each brand caters to different experiences. I just don’t think it’s fair to compare having purely single player experiences to one that does both SP and MP. Of course because one just focuses on SP the efforts show all the more, just so you clear where I stand on it. The quality isn’t lost on me. 

Any game can do a multiplayer component but great ones last years. Take SoT, which is having its best year in 2020. It was mocked in 2018 compared to gems like GOW and Spiderman. Yet in 2020 those games only serve a purpose to be bragged about on the internet where as SoT has outlasted them all due to an addicting multiplayer loop coupled with substantial content updates. 

Just saying you may not prefer multiplayer components but you can’t deny their appeal either. Totally different approaches to games that aren’t completely comparable to each other. So calling out micros in Xbox games is one thing, but you also should acknowledge that at least they have a multiplayer. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 02 August 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DPsx7 said:
JWeinCom said:

... like... what? For argument's sake, we'll call this a rental program. Why would that mean you can't rent a long game? I used Gamefly for a while, and I played a mix of long games and short games. I didn't feel the need to limit myself to short games, because it was cheap enough, and I didn't feel any compulsion to focus on shorter games to get more bang for my buck, cause that would be kind of weird. With Gamepass, since you don't have to return a game before you can get a new one, there's even less incentive to avoid lengthy games. As for variety, there's plenty of variety on Gamepass. Look at the list yourself.

This kind of seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Also, the use of M$ is frowned upon. A normal S will be fine.

More to do with variety offered than what you're likely to play.

I've typed it that way for years. It's fine.

So, it's not enough that it offers variety? Does Microsoft have to come to your house and force you to play a variety of games? What point are you even trying to make?

And no, it's not fine. This is something we've discussed among the mods. So, that's going to be looked at negatively going forwards. So, just use a normal S. It's in a far more convenient location anyway.

Around the Network
Nm 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You know what I have to do to change the color of my armor in GoT? Spend 15 of the flowers that are littered all over the game. 

GaaS isn't superior long term content. It's watered down content. They take 50 hours of gameplay and stretch it out into 300 hours, with artificial game lengtheners. Meanwhile a good single player game will offer up 20-100 hours of gameplay that respects your time. GaaS is like a single bottle of Soda watered down into twelve bottles. 

You are right to speculate that Sony would have all MTX in their games if all their games were multiplayer based. It's pretty clear, that Sony would do that if their focus was on multiplayer. Thankfully it's not. 

Multiplayer takes considerably less effort and assets than single player. This particular point isn't one that you can't argue with me on (or anybody that has bothered to try their hand at making games). 

Sorry I mean non intrusive, as in Forza never made me feel like I had to spend money. Otherwise there isn’t much to say because each brand caters to different experiences. I just don’t think it’s fair to compare having purely single player experiences to one that does both SP and MP. Of course because one just focuses on SP the efforts show all the more, just so you clear where I stand on it. The quality isn’t lost on me. 

Any game can do a multiplayer component but great ones last years. Take SoT, which is having its best year in 2020. It was mocked in 2018 compared to gems like GOW and Spiderman. Yet in 2020 those games only serve a purpose to be bragged about on the internet where as SoT has outlasted them all due to an addicting multiplayer loop coupled with substantial content updates. 

Just saying you may not prefer multiplayer components but you can’t deny their appeal either. Totally different approaches to games that aren’t completely comparable to each other. So calling out micros in Xbox games is one thing, but you also should acknowledge that at least they have a multiplayer. 

If you want to talk about 2020, so after SoT had 2 or 3 years to improve how does it compare to GoW that hadn't been updated? Or if you prefer to pick something from this year. How does it compare to TLOU2?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DPsx7 said:
JWeinCom said:

So, it's not enough that it offers variety? Does Microsoft have to come to your house and force you to play a variety of games? What point are you even trying to make?

And no, it's not fine. This is something we've discussed among the mods. So, that's going to be looked at negatively going forwards. So, just use a normal S. It's in a far more convenient location anyway.

It doesn't and my point was made before. I think you're just trying to be a problem right now. Already stated it's not for most people but if anyone wants to try it then what do I care. I have like 300 PS4 games to keep me busy and it cost less than the rental pass. Their experiment changes nothing for me.

It's fine trust me. No reason to pull an attitude.

You didn’t respond to my quote where I listed the insane value of all the games I played and what I paid to play them all. No way you would have spent less then me. Denying the value aspect is burying your head in the sand. 

But also, saying M$ is simply outdated. Game Pass is not a massive profit point for MS at the moment. Rumors that Gold is being phased out. On the flip side I’m pretty sure Sony has made more money then Xbox given the huge hardware and software sales gap. It makes more sense to say $ony then to say M$. Its a subtle dig and frankly a little silly to imply only MS cares about making a buck in gaming. 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

If you want to talk about 2020, so after SoT had 2 or 3 years to improve how does it compare to GoW that hadn't been updated? Or if you prefer to pick something from this year. How does it compare to TLOU2?

Just listing the advantage of a multiplayer title vs a single player title. Time is on ones side more then the other (If done right). At the moment LOU2 is being played more. But in a year from now? SoT can easily remain relevant where as the other needs a next gen re release with its delayed MP component to stay relevant. 

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Well keep in mind that being purely single player doesn't make it impossible to do MTX. Just look at modern Assassin's Creed or Shadow of War for examples of MTX in single player games.

I don't have much interest in racing games. I haven't played Forza since 2009 and likely never will again. So I'll take your word on it.

Anybody can boot up GoW or Spiderman and play them right now. I didn't play FF6 until 2006, 13 years after its initial release. God, you might was well favorably compare the Simpsons to Seinfeld, and be like "Seinfeld gathers dust, but the Simpsons still has new episodes! Take that T.V. shows that end!"

But I will have to give SoT a good old 10-20 hour try sometime.

*sarcasm*Dang it! Why isn't their multiplayer in Spiderman or GoW? We should have PVP levels where you use all the mechanics of a single player game to do some shoehorned multiplayer task! METROID PRIME 2 WAS AHEAD OF THE CURVE PEOPLE!!!*/sarcasm*