By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King Reviews: 81 Metacritic / 81 Opencritic

JRPGfan said:

So it seems most arn't that into the story, or the gameplay (combat)..... considering that, a 81 score is pretty decent.
Its the comedy and characters/world that carry it.

IGN:

"there are no real gameplay choices"
"always had enough coins to buy every accessory as soon as it became available"
"The Origami King flirts with a party system but ultimately steers well clear of making you decide anything there, either."
"likeable game despite the shallowness of its new spin on gameplay."

"best Paper Mario since The Thousand-Year Door." - metro Gamecentral.   (this feels like a common thread on new paper mario, its no TTYD)

"quirky writing is full of laugh-out-loud moments, but your quest is full of tiresome backtracking" - Game Informer

"I want to share it with my nieces and nephews, as well as my grown friends. But I hesitate due to the frustration of the combat and those imposing boss battles — those moments where I wish I had someone else to take over on the controller." - Polygon.

"keeps its RPG systems and character work light,.." - Gamespot

"might not be the successor to Thousand-Year Door for which fans have been clamoring, but this time the formula works, allowing the series’ great writing and worlds to shine through." - Kotaku  (its not the building onto TTYD fans wanted)

"Origami King is an action-adventure game, not an RPG, which is sure to disappoint Paper Mario fans waiting for The Thousand Year Door's second coming." - USgamer.

@Bolded - Well that's enough to keep me away from it. I loved the first two (N64 and Thousand Year Door), and liked Super Paper Mario a lot, but Sticker Star a Colour Splash were utter garbage. this sounds like it's a bit of a course correct but nowhere near where it needs to be to take my hard-earned cashola. 

Plus, as Truckasaurus said, too many other games to play. Just finished Yooka-Laylee, got a bunch of PS4 and Switch games untouched, no need to buy Paper Mario right now. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
70 seems dramatic from IGN

Too much confetti 

That's a bit above average reviews, but not enough for me to buy

I'll skip this one

I'm not hung up on what game genre The Origami King technically falls into. My motivation in playing a franchise with the title "Paper Mario" is to laugh and have fun.  If this installment can accomplish that much, it will have won me over. Based on the footage I've seen so far though, and on what these reviews are generally suggesting, I have some doubts. I can practically feel mediocrity oozing out of the available gameplay footage and into my living room.

The truth is that The Thousand-Year Door remains my favorite installment in this franchise to date as well, and that's not because I'm hung up on a particular kind of battle system. The Thousand-Year Door invested a lot in its world and characters! No subsequent installment has felt equally...well heartfelt to me. It's like they're trying to reach a younger player base than The Thousand-Year Door appealed to by dumbing everything down and never really succeeding in drawing that newer, younger, more casual group of players into this particular franchise so much as they're just slowly wearing down the fan base that The Thousand-Year Door established for it into disinterest (including me).

I'll probably give this game a rental to taste and see. I do that when I have strong doubts about the merits of actually buying a game because I live on a very finite budget.

That's a better score than I actually expected. From the Treehouse livestream I was a bit worried it could get repetitive and be too easy. No leveling system and the gameplay isn't really "RPG" as I like it. I'd say it's more a puzzle game than an RPG, but IMO this game lives or dies by the writing. If it has a clever story (which Paper Mario has done very well in the past) then it can make up for some shortcomings in gameplay. Overall it looks better than the previous handhelds so that's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by FormerlyTeamSilent13 - on 15 July 2020

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

I'm not hung up on what game genre The Origami King technically falls into. My motivation in playing a franchise with the title "Paper Mario" is to laugh and have fun.  If this installment can accomplish that much, it will have won me over. Based on the footage I've seen so far though, and on what these reviews are generally suggesting, I have some doubts. I can practically feel mediocrity oozing out of the available gameplay footage and into my living room.

The truth is that The Thousand-Year Door remains my favorite installment in this franchise to date as well, and that's not because I'm hung up on a particular kind of battle system. The Thousand-Year Door invested a lot in its world and characters! No subsequent installment has felt equally...well heartfelt to me. It's like they're trying to reach a younger player base than The Thousand-Year Door appealed to by dumbing everything down and never really succeeding in drawing that newer, younger, more casual group of players into this particular franchise so much as they're just slowly wearing down the fan base that The Thousand-Year Door established for it into disinterest (including me).

I'll probably give this game a rental to taste and see. I do that when I have strong doubts about the merits of actually buying a game because I live on a very finite budget.

That's more or less how I approach the Neptunia games. I mean, it's not as if they're bereft of other genre staple qualities, but the characters and dialog are a consistent draw. Currently enjoying Megadimension Neptunia V II, and it's TEN whole ding-dongs lower on metacritic than Paper Mario:The Origami King.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The musicals sold me, they're hilarious. The game has such a vibrant aura that I'll gladly buy it someday.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.