Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King Reviews: 81 Metacritic / 81 Opencritic

JWeinCom said:
It's a little frustrating. Seems like there's a lot to love, but the most common complaint is the combat. I don't know why Nintendo feels like they have to reinvent the wheel each time when they have a perfectly good system collecting dust.

I agree. The lining up enemies part seems like it will get very old fast. Just such an unnecessary waste of time.

Around the Network

The combat already seemed to be les good based on the trailers. For me an 8 is not a good score. In my opinion a good Paper Mario should score around a 9. So, this score is a bit disappointing, although expected. I agree that Nintendo should shop trying to do something new everytime and should just make a fun paper mario with a battle system that works. Especially since it's been so long since a Paper Mario came out that was really good.

First the stickers and now this. I don't like it ;(

JWeinCom said:
It's a little frustrating. Seems like there's a lot to love, but the most common complaint is the combat. I don't know why Nintendo feels like they have to reinvent the wheel each time when they have a perfectly good system collecting dust.

I thought it was because they wanted to avoid the risk of cannibalizing sales between the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series since both were starting to make appearances on the same platforms.  I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went back to making Paper Mario a traditional JRPG if the Mario & Luigi series is truly dead following AlphaDream's demise.

I look forward to playing this over the weekend.

Good score, hope you guys have plenty of fun.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

I predicted a 78, so it's a bit higher than I expected. Nice to see it's the highest rated Paper Mario game since Super Paper Mario. Since I was one of the very few people who enjoyed Color Splash, i'll probably pick this up on Friday. Seeing this game get higher scores makes me want to play it even more!

coolharry said:
The combat already seemed to be les good based on the trailers. For me an 8 is not a good score. In my opinion a good Paper Mario should score around a 9. So, this score is a bit disappointing, although expected. I agree that Nintendo should shop trying to do something new everytime and should just make a fun paper mario with a battle system that works. Especially since it's been so long since a Paper Mario came out that was really good.

First the stickers and now this. I don't like it ;(

Well... 8 is pretty much "around a 9".

Decent enough score. Can someone tell me if this is more like Paper Mario 64/Thousand Year Door or more like the other games in the Ip?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

JWeinCom said:

I see what you did there :)

JWeinCom said:

Yea, i just want them to listen to what fans want tbh.. this franchise was so special for a reason. They did get some of the other complaints right but the combat system is literally the ONLY thing that is missing. Hope they give us that next time too. There is proper complaints about it and i think the user score will get bombed.

It does looks like a fun game, but it can be so much more than that, that's what disappointing.