Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox July Showcase 2020 thread

twintail said:
shikamaru317 said: Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War

Why would a Sony marketed game be shown at the Xbox event?

There is a possibility MS got marketing for CoD this year since it wasnt revealed in Jine. Most Cod games are revealed in April, Ma, or June. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
shikamaru317 said: Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War

Sony had marketing on CoD this gen. However, their deal may have finally expired and Microsoft grabbed it up. CoD is usually announced in April, May, or June, with May being the most common month for CoD announces, yet CoD wasn't announced on Sony's June show. I will be shocked if Activision waits to announce it until Sony's August State of Play, just 2 months before it is set to release in October (the last few CoD games released on October). That is why I think MS grabbed the marketing rights, and the reason for the announcement delay is that they had to wait on Microsoft's big show to announce the game. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 12 July 2020

jason1637 said:
twintail said:

There is a possibility MS got marketing for CoD this year since it wasnt revealed in Jine. Most Cod games are revealed in April, Ma, or June. 

There was an Xbox Series X event in May. Now that we're in July your reasoning doesn't make sense.

shikamaru317 said:
twintail said:

Sony had marketing on CoD this gen. However, their deal may have finally expired and Microsoft grabbed it up. CoD is usually announced in April, May, or June, with May being the most common month for CoD announces, yet CoD wasn't announced on Sony's June show. I will be shocked if Activision waits to announce it until Sony's August State of Play, just 2 months before it is set to release in October (the last few CoD games released on October). That is why I think MS grabbed the marketing rights, and the reason for the announcement delay is that they had to wait on Microsoft's big show to announce the game. 

Same as above. it wasn't revealed at MS's May event either.

Sony are also the official partners for the 2020 edition of CoD League (which ends after MS's July event) and CoD Challengers (which ends early August).

It's also worth noting that CoD official announcements don't happen at Xbox/ Sony events, they happen before. 

If it is at the Xbox event then that's cool too. But nothing indicates it will be.

twintail said:
jason1637 said:

There was an Xbox Series X event in May. Now that we're in July your reasoning doesn't make sense.

shikamaru317 said:

Sony are also the official partners for the 2020 edition of CoD League (which ends after MS's July event) and CoD Challengers (which ends early August).

It's also worth noting that CoD official announcements don't happen at Xbox/ Sony events, they happen before. 

The May event was designed as a runoff event for the cancelled Xbox 2020 E3 show, it was specifically designed for smaller games that were not going to be announced on the big E3 show, but rather on an E3 pre-show. They tossed in a few 3rd parties from the cancelled E3 show like AC and Madden to make it better, but it was still designed as a runoff show, if MS has CoD marketing they wouldn't have announced it on the small May show, but on the big show which will have far more viewers.

It's possible that Sony could have marketing, but I will be absolutely shocked if Activision announces a CoD game 2 months before it is due to release, at the August State of Play. That barely gives them any time to build up hype or do a beta test or anything. Even 3 months before release is pushing it, if it is announced on the Xbox show.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 12 July 2020

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I'm very curious to see Halo Infinite gameplay.

I hope it fixes the story so that the events of Halo 5 are rendered moot.

Spoiler!
Fuck you, post-Halo 4 Cortana.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I'm very curious to see Halo Infinite gameplay.

Spoiler!

They've been teasing that Cortana would be redeemed in the trailers. Seems like the focus is on the Banished as villains, rather than on the Created. 

twintail said:
jason1637 said:

shikamaru317 said:

If it is at the Xbox event then that's cool too. But nothing indicates it will be.

The May event was a last minute show and was never part of the original pre covid plans according to insiders. 

As for CoD tournaments in 2015 when Sony got Black ops 3 marketing competitive call of duty continued on Xbox for the rest of the Advanced Warfare cycle. 

Chances are Sony could still have marketing rights but I wouldn't be surprised if MS got CoD rights and decides to announce it during there show as a mic drop moment 

shikamaru317 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Spoiler!

They've been teasing that Cortana would be redeemed in the trailers. Seems like the focus is on the Banished as villains, rather than on the Created. 

As usual I won't get my hopes up.

shikamaru317 said:

The May event was designed as a runoff event for the cancelled Xbox 2020 E3 show, it was specifically designed for smaller games that were not going to be announced on the big E3 show, but rather on an E3 pre-show. They tossed in a few 3rd parties from the cancelled E3 show like AC and Madden to make it better, but it was still designed as a runoff show, if MS has CoD marketing they wouldn't have announced it on the small May show, but on the big show which will have far more viewers.

It's possible that Sony could have marketing, but I will be absolutely shocked if Activision announces a CoD game 2 months before it is due to release, at the August State of Play. That barely gives them any time to build up hype or do a beta test or anything. Even 3 months before release is pushing it, if it is announced on the Xbox show.

Honestly, they could announce CoD a 1 month before release and it'll do just fine. 

But like I said, CoD is not formally announced at these events. So we should know about it before the Xbox showcase or after. Things can change, of course. 

jason1637 said:

The May event was a last minute show and was never part of the original pre covid plans according to insiders. 

As for CoD tournaments in 2015 when Sony got Black ops 3 marketing competitive call of duty continued on Xbox for the rest of the Advanced Warfare cycle. 

Chances are Sony could still have marketing rights but I wouldn't be surprised if MS got CoD rights and decides to announce it during there show as a mic drop moment 

to be fair, that 2015 event you're talking about was held in March. 

That said, CoD at the XBox event or not, I'm excited to watch the show. MS usually puts on good showings (though that May event was pretty bad).

Tagged

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...