By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

Kyuu said:
I hope Phil sticks to his word and supports Xbox One throughout the entirety of the next generation,

Where exactly did he make that promise?

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

I hope Phil sticks to his word and supports Xbox One throughout the entirety of the next generation, coz why not? It's consumer-friendly AND it doesn't hold back XSX, right? 😄

They said 1-2 years. Lol why do people round up and add numbers? 

Upon reflecting this is a blessing. If this is the best narrative the other side can come up with then Xbox in a pretty good position. It’s not Xbox is weaker, or overpriced, or mandatory peripherals. It’s not they are always online and no used games. Nope the only thing people have is that they are TOO consumer friendly that early adopters MIGHT feel left out. 

Looks to me like a real gen over gen improvement :)

(to any mods I’m done with this thread so don’t worry about further posts. Saving my energy for Goopys post July 23 threads) 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Because the old consoles hitting a wall is the whole point of releasing new ones. Why would Sony leave behind 100m customers and start from scratch if the ps4 can do everything the ps5 can? 

It's Sony's job to show us why we should upgrade and get us excited. They haven't shown us a lot but I'm sure they got that part covered. MS should be doing the same if the Series X has any sort of priority for them, but this has practically been MS marketing messaging so far..

MS: Buy our 12Tflops beastly console!

Also MS: Or not...

To be clear their launch lineup have more of a IP draw not a tech one. People would upgrade to play the next Spiderman game, not because it’s only possible on PS5 from a design standpoint.  There is a high chance it’s only possible because Sony limited it for business reasons, assuming this game is a standalone expansion that uses assets from the base game on PS4, which explains the short turnaround of 2 years. 

You are blatantly using a double standard. Halo Infinite “bad” because it’s cross gen but a cross gen Spiderman expansion “good” because why, Sony swept the totally doable PS4 port under the rug to create next gen demand? That’s what makes it ok...the lack of a formal official PS4 version???

Same goes for the others. Again Sackboy, Destruction Derby and GT7. You can’t cherry pick the true next gen games but dismiss the possibility Xbox will announce games that fall outside the cross gen window. Sony is not what you are painting them as where every game is 100% not possible on last gen. 

How are you so certain the Spider Man game will be perfectly doable on ps4? We haven't even seen any gameplay yet lol. All we know is that it's not a full blown sequel but more of a stand alone type of game similar in scope to Uncharted Lost Legacy. Also... "There been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features.”

My problem isn't that Halo Infinite is cross-gen. The game has been in development even before the X1X was announced. My problem is that they are purposely not releasing any Series X exclusives for the first 2 years. Not because those games are still being worked on and just aren't ready, but because its part of their whole strategy. You think they will flip a switch after the 2 years period and poof, on exactly that date we will see those Series X exclusives? There's a reason why they are doing what they are doing, you know.

goopy20 said:

My problem is that they are purposely not releasing any Series X exclusives for the first 2 years. Not because those games are still being worked on and just aren't ready, but because its part of their whole strategy. You think they will flip a switch after the 2 years period and poof, on exactly that date we will see those Series X exclusives?

No, they won't flip a switch. They are giving the new games "built from ground up with the new technology in mind" the development time they deserve.

Many of these unannounced Xbox Series games will already be in development. But development of great AAA-games takes more than two years.

Conina said:
goopy20 said:

My problem is that they are purposely not releasing any Series X exclusives for the first 2 years. Not because those games are still being worked on and just aren't ready, but because its part of their whole strategy. You think they will flip a switch after the 2 years period and poof, on exactly that date we will see those Series X exclusives?

No, they won't flip a switch. They are giving the new games "built from ground up with the new technology in mind" the development time they deserve.

Many of these unannounced Xbox Series games will already be in development. But development of great AAA-games takes more than two years.

Why would MS invest in AAA 1st party Series X games if they can reach way more GP subscribers by not targeting high-end specs? Phil Spencer has blatantly told us that their next gen vision isn't about selling Series X boxes. Hell, they don't care if you buy one. It's about putting the gamer in the center and letting you play their games on a bunch of different devices.  

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Kyuu said:

I didn't mean he made a promise but he's all for the consumer and is all of a sudden against "generational exclusivity". There's no reason to abandon the old platform if it ain't holding anything back like he claims.

An interesting argument.  If you can make one game that is supported on two generations of consoles without issue - why not keep doing that?

Hell you could even argue they could put the "downgraded" or "last-gen" game on game pass.  Like only game pass. So they won't have to worry about paying for discs/packaging etc for older games.

If you can make one game, put it on game pass and let the "system" upgrade or downgrade it - why would you ever give that up?

Exactly, why would they? It all sounds great, I know. But that's only because we haven't seen a whole lot of the true next gen games yet. We did see a bunch of them "optimized for Series X" games, though. And you tell me if that made you excited about buying a Series X or that it made you wonder if you'll be fine playing those games with the console or pc you have now.

goopy20 said:
Conina said:

Why would MS invest in AAA 1st party Series X games if they can reach way more GP subscribers by not targeting high-end specs? Phil Spencer has blatantly told us that their next gen vision isn't about selling Series X boxes. Hell, they don't care if you buy one. It's about putting the gamer in the center and letting you play their games on a bunch of different devices.  

Why do you think those AAA 1st party Series X games would be limited to the Series X consoles and similar PC hardware?

Microsoft could offer these GamePass games to XBO S, XBO X, laptops and entry level PCs via xCloud in 2022 or later.

Conina said:
goopy20 said:

Why do you think those AAA 1st party Series X games would be limited to the Series X consoles and similar PC hardware?

Microsoft could offer these GamePass games to XBO S, XBO X, laptops and entry level PCs via xCloud in 2022 or later.

Xcloud is obviously MS's endgame and it's why Series X doesn't have top priority for them. Who knows, maybe we will all be gaming in the cloud 5 years from now. But until then, MS won't be investing in AAA games that are specifically designed to take full advantage of the Series X.  

Last edited by goopy20 - on 11 July 2020

goopy20 said:

But until then, MS won't be investing in AAA games that are specifically designed to take full advantage of the Series X.  

Your whole narrative is based on that hope that Microsoft will fall way behind Sony in first-party-games.

goopy20 said:
Conina said:

Xcloud is obviously MS's endgame and it's why Series X doesn't have top priority for MS. Who knows, maybe we will all be gaming in the cloud 5 years from now. But until then, MS won't be investing in AAA games that are specifically designed to take full advantage of the Series X.  

Papa Phil: we are committed to delivering games that take full advantage of the most powerful console ever. It will be at least a decade before cloud gaming becomes mainstream. Local hardware will always be the superior way to play games. xCloud is just an extra layer of convenience.

goopalicious: MS will never utilize the 12 TF of XSX because they want GamePass games to run on the Sega 32X and in five years they’ll be all in on xCloud and forget hardware 

I have to honestly wonder why you are even allowed to discuss Xbox still.