By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 28 to July 4 - Switch Sells Over 300,000 Units

the Switch sell more than the Wii U in christmas periode

Around the Network

Have PS4 been affected by low availability? Well it sold less than 200k this week

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Have PS4 been affected by low availability? Well it sold less than 200k this week

Yes, worldwide. 

PS4 very good for its age and the season.
But NS is just insane.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Sales Comparison Charts Through July 4, 2020

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three home consoles (Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) and two handhelds (Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita) over comparable periods for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.  Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

This is basically the halfway point of the calander year, and we know that systems always sell significantly more in the 2nd half especially Nintendo systems.  That means that if we double the current number of Switch sales we get 21m and that is unreasonably low.  They definitely are going to sell several million above 21m.  On the other hand Switch sales are up 74% YoY and if they continue this trend then annual sales will be 34m and that is unreasonbly high.

What is more reasonable is to assume about half of this incredible growth is a temporary boost and the other half is from sustained momentum.  Annual sales of 28m would put Switch up 32% for the second half of the year.  However, I am somewhat skeptical Nintendo can manufacture enough to keep up with this kind of demand.  It is very likely that Switch will be in short supply for the rest of the year.  Even if they restock in the next month or so, they will be in short supply again once the holidays hit.

Total sales for Switch this year will largely be based on the amount Nintendo can supply rather than market demand.

The reportedly ordered 10% more Switch units for this FY over last, in which they shipped just over 21 million, which would mean 23-24 million Switches manufactured/shipped for this FY.

Of course, it remains to be seen if they can keep demand this high, as we don't know what major new games (if any) they have for the second half of the year. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is basically the halfway point of the calander year, and we know that systems always sell significantly more in the 2nd half especially Nintendo systems.  That means that if we double the current number of Switch sales we get 21m and that is unreasonably low.  They definitely are going to sell several million above 21m.  On the other hand Switch sales are up 74% YoY and if they continue this trend then annual sales will be 34m and that is unreasonbly high.

What is more reasonable is to assume about half of this incredible growth is a temporary boost and the other half is from sustained momentum.  Annual sales of 28m would put Switch up 32% for the second half of the year.  However, I am somewhat skeptical Nintendo can manufacture enough to keep up with this kind of demand.  It is very likely that Switch will be in short supply for the rest of the year.  Even if they restock in the next month or so, they will be in short supply again once the holidays hit.

Total sales for Switch this year will largely be based on the amount Nintendo can supply rather than market demand.

The reportedly ordered 10% more Switch units for this FY over last, in which they shipped just over 21 million, which would mean 23-24 million Switches manufactured/shipped for this FY.

Of course, it remains to be seen if they can keep demand this high, as we don't know what major new games (if any) they have for the second half of the year. 

A 10% increase is not nearly enough.  Again, some simple math shows that if the second half matches the first half then that is 21m for the calendar year.  But the second half is always significantly more than the first half.  They should be planning more for the 26m - 30m range.  However, I don't think they are going to be able to manufacture that much.  It's more likely that Switches will be in short supply for most of the year, including the holidays.

10% is what they are confident they can deliver. They would like to go higher but they can not guarantee it.

Pavolink said:
trunkswd said:

What type of revision can they do at this point? If they redesign the main Switch unit, the dock would most likely need a redesign as well. Maybe a version without a screen, so it is just a regular home console? 

A TV Switch or Switch-only homeconsole is something I honestly don't see it coming. My guess would be that rumored "Switch Pro", similar to the New 3DS, with better overall performance and some noticeable upgrades, but not enough to be consider as a successor.

I actually see it coming. If Ninty can somehow integrate the account system to where you can go from one console to another and pick up where you left off due to cloud saves, then they can have a TV switch that is overclocked compared to the rest and delivers better TV graphics. Then people with lite can buy both for $350-$400 with the TV switch being $150-$200 and that way pay more but have a better experience in TV mode. Imo, that would be a nice addition to the switch family since it is a family and not a console.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

^^
I can also see that happen, either as a revision or in the next generation. Nintendo also once filed that patent explaining a dock that enhanced computing power of the main unit.

Yeah they'll obviously try to produce as many as they can, 10% more was probably just based on what their realworld manufacturing capacity is.

I mean they can't just press a button and get 30 million Switches made in a year, even ignoring the disruptive effects of the pandemic, there's a limited amount of production line capacity available which they have to compete with other electronics makers for.