By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Fitness thread - Post your objectives

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

Because you were not eating enough. Just working out and Protien shakes will not do it. Food regiment is the leading factor in building muscle (80/20 splitt with 80 being food being 80). Everybody has something called a maintenance calories, the amount you can eat per week and gain or lose any weight. If you want to build muscle you must eat over maintenance while having your body in a anabolic state(that is what working out is for) with a focus on eating hitting your macros.

I will post something later that will help everybody find their Maintenance/Macros and you can add or subtract depending on goal 

That is probably why. I think I was eating like 2500 calories a day when attempting it. I seem to recall reading that you need like 3000-4000 a day, with 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, in order to actually build muscle. 

No. No. This is also inaccurate. Everybody has a different metabolism, thus having different rates of burning food. Example - I am a "Hardgainer"; It is tough for me to put on and maintain weight. My maintenance is 2500 clalories a day jus to maintain!

.  I will post something later that will allow everybody to find their maintenance.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

Because you were not eating enough. Just working out and Protien shakes will not do it. Food regiment is the leading factor in building muscle (80/20 splitt with 80 being food being 80). Everybody has something called a maintenance calories, the amount you can eat per week and gain or lose any weight. If you want to build muscle you must eat over maintenance while having your body in a anabolic state(that is what working out is for) with a focus on eating hitting your macros.

I will post something later that will help everybody find their Maintenance/Macros and you can add or subtract depending on goal 

That is probably why. I think I was eating like 2500 calories a day when attempting it, with only 2 protein shakes per day in addition to the normal protein in my diet. I seem to recall reading since then that you need like 3000+ calories a day, with 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, in order to actually build muscle. 

It's usually about the balance of nutrients. While proteins are the building blocks for the expansion of muscle cells, carbs are the fuel (glucose). If your blood glucose levels are too low on average, and especially during or around workouts, you will not only see subpar performance but also a smaller degree of hypertrophy since low blood glucose typically means inhibited protein synthesis and thus less actual use of said building blocks. One of the most common dietary mistakes is not filling up the blood glucose levels after a workout, limiting the body's ability to and interest in building muscle. Strength gain is somewhat easier since it's more about neural adaptation than the actual size of the muscle itself (in other words; two muscles of roughly equal size can be neurally adapted to performing at completely different levels), but there is, of course, a connection between the size and strength of a muscle as well.

Proponents of keto diets will argue that one doesn't need carbs at all, or very little of it. The problem with that is that the majority of people who attempt to go into ketosis don't actually succeed in doing so, or they do at an intermittent rate. Either way, they're unlikely to become free of glucose dependency in their training (keto diets are really hard for most people).

TLDR: Calories are only a piece of the puzzle, nutrients are more important, specifically the balance between them and to a lesser extent the timing of their intake.

PS: For simultaneous weight loss and muscle gain, one should be in a small-to-moderate caloric deficit, any more than that and you run the risk of sending your body into a fat saving mode with the added issue of it "eating" its own muscle mass for energy. My own daily maintenance level for calories would be around 3500 at my current rate of activity, I hover right around the 3000 mark currently. Note that it usually takes quite a bit longer to recomposition one's body than it does to bulk it up and then cut fat in separate cycles.

Mummelmann said:
shikamaru317 said:

That is probably why. I think I was eating like 2500 calories a day when attempting it, with only 2 protein shakes per day in addition to the normal protein in my diet. I seem to recall reading since then that you need like 3000+ calories a day, with 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, in order to actually build muscle. 

It's usually about the balance of nutrients. While proteins are the building blocks for the expansion of muscle cells, carbs are the fuel (glucose). If your blood glucose levels are too low on average, and especially during or around workouts, you will not only see subpar performance but also a smaller degree of hypertrophy since low blood glucose typically means inhibited protein synthesis and thus less actual use of said building blocks. One of the most common dietary mistakes is not filling up the blood glucose levels after a workout, limiting the body's ability to and interest in building muscle. Strength gain is somewhat easier since it's more about neural adaptation than the actual size of the muscle itself (in other words; two muscles of roughly equal size can be neurally adapted to performing at completely different levels), but there is, of course, a connection between the size and strength of a muscle as well.

Proponents of keto diets will argue that one doesn't need carbs at all, or very little of it. The problem with that is that the majority of people who attempt to go into ketosis don't actually succeed in doing so, or they do at an intermittent rate. Either way, they're unlikely to become free of glucose dependency in their training (keto diets are really hard for most people).

TLDR: Calories are only a piece of the puzzle, nutrients are more important, specifically the balance between them and to a lesser extent the timing of their intake.

PS: For simultaneous weight loss and muscle gain, one should be in a small-to-moderate caloric deficit, any more than that and you run the risk of sending your body into a fat saving mode with the added issue of it "eating" its own muscle mass for energy. My own daily maintenance level for calories would be around 3500 at my current rate of activity, I hover right around the 3000 mark currently. Note that it usually takes quite a bit longer to recomposition one's body than it does to bulk it up and then cut fat in separate cycles.

It is not recommended for the underexperiended to attempt body recomposition. That is advanced along timing of macro intake. Keep it simple. 

I've tried a number of different fitness and diet regimens since my metabolism hit a brick wall around 20. Some worked better than others, but in the end I never ended up sustaining any of them long term. The closest I previously came to success was simply controlling portions and strength training at least twice a week; no supplements or any fancy shit. That's probably what I would have tried again before the pandemic hit. Losing work, staying indoors, and doing lots of home cooking caused me to gain a ton of weight in a short amount of time. Decided to recommit when I found that I could barely even put on my good slacks any more.

But what to do in the middle of a pandemic when you love food, hate deprivation, and mostly relied on the gym to stay in shape? After some tweaking it seems that - at least for me - the answer is intermittent fasting. I tried a more extreme version in the past to little success, but this version is doing wonders so far. Basically I don't eat until I get home for dinner and dessert. It's counterintuitive to everything you're told about lots of small meals and breakfast being the most important meal of the day and all that, but it's working great so far. I find my stomach mostly stays 'asleep' and doesn't bother me until I wake it up with food, so putting that off until the end of the day saves me a lot of calories. This way I'm able to eat what I want until I'm full, go to bed sated, and still lose weight. Been doing it consistently for about two months now without issue. We'll see if anything changes when I get lean but so far my cravings are minuscule and I'm much less lethargic than if I were eating normally. It's the easiest diet I've ever been on by far.

I've deliberately avoided constantly weighing myself this time but those same slacks I could barely get on before now barely stay on without a belt. I plan to keep this going indefinitely if possible. I don't plan on going back to the gym until next year but fortunately I seem to be holding on to most of the muscle I gained in the meantime. When I do go back, maybe I'll add an extra meal on workout days to reward and fuel myself. Regardless, I think I've got a system I can actually stick with this time.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 05 July 2020

Xxain said:
Mummelmann said:

It is not recommended for the underexperiended to attempt body recomposition. That is advanced along timing of macro intake. Keep it simple. 

It's not immensely complicated, but you do have a point. The caloric deficit should be roughly the same when you're simply aiming for weight loss as well though, a larger deficit will cause problems and won't really help anyone long term. And the contents of the calories matter a whole lot, even when not attempting body recomposition. I'd probably recommend straight up weight loss anyway for someone inexperienced, they would have the added benefit of building muscle really quickly once into the bulking phase.

Around the Network
padib said:

@vivster, that was one of the best TED talks. Honestly though I was also surprised at how easy it was to change my diet the few times I did it. It's also surprising how similar your build seems to be to mummelman. I want to encourage you in your objectives because I have a similar thing with my abs and I finally see that it's possible with my new plan.

@Mummelmann. My approach to goals was always to use them as a springboard to increase my fitness, and I never let them discourage me, because then they work against me and I need them to work for me. I know that my mind works like almost everyone else, that it will tell me when I failed my goal, but I talk to it and tell it that the goals are there to help me, so I ignore that voice and listen to a new one that say "let's try again" or "let's change the goal!", because in the end I don't really want to reach my goals. In the end, I just want to get more in shape, and I use goals to help me do that. :) For example, in my card you'll see that I didn't achieve my running goal. That's okay because I also just added an abs workout goal, and I set it high for now (which I rarely do), but I'm ready to lower the frequency or intensity at any time. Because I really need the goals to propel me, and not hold me down. If you set a small goal, you never know it might help you build a good habit as you reach it. ;)

@Farsala, would you be able to obtain a scale to weight yourself, and do you have an approach to food? I did some pole-training in the past, it's very difficult. Do you use a high pole with a heavy base, or more of a pole between the floor and the ceiling?

No scale, probably too bulky for my room.

I eat lunch at work, which can be variable nutrition. I then go home and have a fairly balanced carb, protein, fats meal for dinner. It is barely enough for me to gain weight, so I think if I add a bit more strength training the weight gain will be just muscle. Even if it does make me lose weight, my abs will come back instead.

The pole is like 15-20ft high. It is very sturdy and there are many poles next to it, so if I was weak enough I could use 2 of them. But I am fine with just one.

I need to gain weight. I've been 55 Kg for the last 10 years. It went up to 57 Kg when I was going to the gym but now I'm back to 55 :/

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Well, I started to do exercise once again after the last 3 months of quarantine.
While is not as great as a gym, we could still be creative using even furniture to train.
I'm still going to wait a lo more before going to a gym, so better keep doing home routines.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

MoHasanie said:
I need to gain weight. I've been 55 Kg for the last 10 years. It went up to 57 Kg when I was going to the gym but now I'm back to 55 :/

It is healthy to have some fatreserves on top of the gained muscles or your body will fastly turn on cannibalizing the gained muscles if you do not take in the needed nutrients.

Oh, Arny! Its a legend! Also would be interesting if you share his steroid cycle advice...He recommend buy roids in https://steroidsfax.org/injectables-steroids

Last edited by gramp - on 15 July 2020