By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Fitness thread - Post your objectives

Some things I have observed over the years.

Every fitness sport except pure strength is a waste of time. Forget about cross-fit, zumba or whatever if physique is your main goal.

Eating is prohibitive for muscle gains. Every training day two steaks and three eggs or gtfo. Good diet with bad sport is better than bad diet with good sport.

You have to choose between weight loss or muscle growth if you remain natural. It is impossible to grow muscles while losing weight. Natural body building is a cycle of overeating (bulking) to gain muscles and fat, followed by fasting (cutting) to melt the fat and expose the muscles. Real Olympic strength athletes look chunky and undefined aka the natural strong man look.

Weight loss is best achieved by fasting (cutting). No need for additional sport unless you like sport.

All lean & big muscles guys are roiders. They will tell you about pumping iron but it's all about the roids. Arnie was not natural. 

Around the Network

Stop drinking the bull/coke
Stop snacking
eat more when eating
target all musclegroups
proteinshakes after workout

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Does fapping count as a workout?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I started this year to diet and workout for real. I started at around 128kg, which for me came dangerously close to a bad threshold. Not that I was fat, but I did start to get chubby and my belly was more than noticeable. I have also been not at all fit, seeing how I was panting after stairs and short bike rides.

My not at all planned program had two components, food and moving more. So here is what I did:

Before my diet I did not worry about my food intake at all, like really absolutely did not care about anything. I ate what I wanted and when I wanted and snacked throughout no matter how many meals I had that day. The reason behind that is not boredom or obsession, but simply because I just really like eating food and tasting new things. Food is so much more to me than just nutrient intake. It's part of my lifestyle and I certainly would consider it as an elevated hobby. That lead me to eat about 3 meals a day in sizes that would completely fill me. Accompanied by sweet juices and energy drinks (also water) and the occasional snacks I brought from Japan. My diet was always high carb, high sodium and lots of red meat. No extra fruit or vegetables. The only reason I did not completely blow up into a balloon is my still pretty strong metabolism.

So when I started my diet I restricted myself to only two meals a day. A medium sized lunch and medium sized dinner. Dinner no later than 9pm. I also forewent snacks completely and tried to substitute chicken for red meat wherever I could. I also checked all of my food for calories and restricted myself to the ones with the fewest. I did all of this based on will power. It sucked a bit that I had to eat less but it was surprisingly not as hard as I thought it would. Medium sized meals fill me almost as good as really large meals and whenever I went to the fridge for a snack I just stood there and then closed the fridge again. I also started to drink tea a lot to fill my need for flavored drinks. I do like water but I really do need some flavor at some point. Wen things got harder and I started to get really strong cravings I turned to my best friend, the cucumber. I always liked fruit and vegetables but it's almost such a hassle with preparing them. Cucumber and tomatoes are perfect, though. They don'tr need to be prepared, taste great, are filling and have close to no calories. So that helped a lot. Some days when the cravings get too strong I do treat myself with a slightly larger meal but those days are rare.

Adjusting my food intake already dropped my weight quite a bit but I wanted more of it. I wanted to increase my fitness and strengthen my muscles to increase my metabolism. The bad thing is that as you lose weight, you will also decrease your natural calorie consumption, so you either have to eat less and less to get the same results or lose more through activities and more muscle mass. So I started out with just trying to move myself more. Walk more, skip escalators and elevators wherever possible and even do some additional moving, for example walking stairs at work during a break. It didn't do much, but it did do something. The most that it diod was to get me into the mood for cycling again. I bought a kickass road bike last year but I barely used it. So I decided to do it more seriously again. In the past I've been doing bike tours of 150km+ per day and I wanted to get there again. So I just started out on my weekends doing smaller tours and increasing it bit by bit. I did not overdo it and my current plan is to get on my bike about every 3 days and every few weeks do longer tours on the weekend. It was really nice seeing my fitness progress both on the bike and off. A good benchmark for me are my stairs at home. I live on the 6th floor with no elevator. Before I started working out i was always out of breath reaching the top each day. I keep my bike in my flat so I have to carry it up the stairs. At first I did not manage without having at least one short break on the way up the stairs. Forward 5 months later and I have no issues hucking my bike including heavy luggage up the stairs without any break, even after a long and exhausting ride.

So where am I now and where do I want to go?
Currently I feel very fit and I weigh in at around 110kg. The belly is still visible but noticeably reduced. I use my bike regularly and just recently scaled one of the bigger mountains in my area. I also want to get into hiking more, as well as some mountain biking down the line. My weight goal for now is about 95kg, or 100kg with more muscle mass. I want to completely lose my belly and become more toned. I want to see my abdominals again after over a decade. I do not plan on building muscle beyond what I need for cycling, so strength training won't happen at all.

Another big goal for me is to eat more again, since I really miss my bigger sized meals from the past. I hope I can get to a good shape and rhythm that will allow me to eat more again while maintaining same muscle mass and weight. Of course if I'll ever see my weight increasing I'll put the stops, especially now that I know how easy it actually is. My whole transformation happened in the span of 6 months and I am confident that I'll come very close to my end goal by the end of the year.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I started this year to diet and workout for real. I started at around 128kg, which for me came dangerously close to a bad threshold. Not that I was fat, but I did start to get chubby and my belly was more than noticeable. I have also been not at all fit, seeing how I was panting after stairs and short bike rides.

My not at all planned program had two components, food and moving more. So here is what I did:

Before my diet I did not worry about my food intake at all, like really absolutely did not care about anything. I ate what I wanted and when I wanted and snacked throughout no matter how many meals I had that day. The reason behind that is not boredom or obsession, but simply because I just really like eating food and tasting new things. Food is so much more to me than just nutrient intake. It's part of my lifestyle and I certainly would consider it as an elevated hobby. That lead me to eat about 3 meals a day in sizes that would completely fill me. Accompanied by sweet juices and energy drinks (also water) and the occasional snacks I brought from Japan. My diet was always high carb, high sodium and lots of red meat. No extra fruit or vegetables. The only reason I did not completely blow up into a balloon is my still pretty strong metabolism.

So when I started my diet I restricted myself to only two meals a day. A medium sized lunch and medium sized dinner. Dinner no later than 9pm. I also forewent snacks completely and tried to substitute chicken for red meat wherever I could. I also checked all of my food for calories and restricted myself to the ones with the fewest. I did all of this based on will power. It sucked a bit that I had to eat less but it was surprisingly not as hard as I thought it would. Medium sized meals fill me almost as good as really large meals and whenever I went to the fridge for a snack I just stood there and then closed the fridge again. I also started to drink tea a lot to fill my need for flavored drinks. I do like water but I really do need some flavor at some point. Wen things got harder and I started to get really strong cravings I turned to my best friend, the cucumber. I always liked fruit and vegetables but it's almost such a hassle with preparing them. Cucumber and tomatoes are perfect, though. They don'tr need to be prepared, taste great, are filling and have close to no calories. So that helped a lot. Some days when the cravings get too strong I do treat myself with a slightly larger meal but those days are rare.

Adjusting my food intake already dropped my weight quite a bit but I wanted more of it. I wanted to increase my fitness and strengthen my muscles to increase my metabolism. The bad thing is that as you lose weight, you will also decrease your natural calorie consumption, so you either have to eat less and less to get the same results or lose more through activities and more muscle mass. So I started out with just trying to move myself more. Walk more, skip escalators and elevators wherever possible and even do some additional moving, for example walking stairs at work during a break. It didn't do much, but it did do something. The most that it diod was to get me into the mood for cycling again. I bought a kickass road bike last year but I barely used it. So I decided to do it more seriously again. In the past I've been doing bike tours of 150km+ per day and I wanted to get there again. So I just started out on my weekends doing smaller tours and increasing it bit by bit. I did not overdo it and my current plan is to get on my bike about every 3 days and every few weeks do longer tours on the weekend. It was really nice seeing my fitness progress both on the bike and off. A good benchmark for me are my stairs at home. I live on the 6th floor with no elevator. Before I started working out i was always out of breath reaching the top each day. I keep my bike in my flat so I have to carry it up the stairs. At first I did not manage without having at least one short break on the way up the stairs. Forward 5 months later and I have no issues hucking my bike including heavy luggage up the stairs without any break, even after a long and exhausting ride.

So where am I now and where do I want to go?
Currently I feel very fit and I weigh in at around 110kg. The belly is still visible but noticeably reduced. I use my bike regularly and just recently scaled one of the bigger mountains in my area. I also want to get into hiking more, as well as some mountain biking down the line. My weight goal for now is about 95kg, or 100kg with more muscle mass. I want to completely lose my belly and become more toned. I want to see my abdominals again after over a decade. I do not plan on building muscle beyond what I need for cycling, so strength training won't happen at all.

Another big goal for me is to eat more again, since I really miss my bigger sized meals from the past. I hope I can get to a good shape and rhythm that will allow me to eat more again while maintaining same muscle mass and weight. Of course if I'll ever see my weight increasing I'll put the stops, especially now that I know how easy it actually is. My whole transformation happened in the span of 6 months and I am confident that I'll come very close to my end goal by the end of the year.

How tall are you, if I may ask?

Also; great work! I've recently gotten back into something of a rhythm with training and diet. I've never viewed weight as goals as such, I'm 193 centimeters tall and have a very wide frame so I've always been heavy, regardless of my level of fitness. Right now, I'm sitting at 110-112 kilos as far as I know. I try to get a good workout at least once every other day, sometimes more often, but my job makes it difficult to adjust sometimes. I work 24,5-hour shifts and they can be immensely taxing mentally. After some of these, I feel quite tired and I might not have had time for a sizeable breakfast which means I won't have much energy at the gym. In addition to the gym, I try to walk at least 10 kilometers every day when I can, regardless of the weather, sometimes I walk 15 kilometers in a day.

My current training is quite simple; I build around compound exercises first and foremost, and I alternate between chest + back and shoulders + legs. I used to be fairly strong in my younger days (I competed briefly in local Strongman competitions and tried some powerlifting), so I sometimes feel weak when lifting, but then I remember both my age and my considerably lower bodyweight in comparison. As far as eating goes, I eat lots of good fats and protein, and I try to stay in a mild-to-medium caloric deficit daily. Body recomposition is possible, but it's harder, takes more knowledge and patience, and requires some clever timing with meals and especially your carb intake. The whole process is simplified if you have a background in strength sport or other athletics and can rely on some degree of muscle memory. I eat 4-5 meals per day, most of them quite small, and I avoid eating about two hours before bedtime since if fucks up my sleep. My go-to pre-workout breakfast is a large bowl of oatmeal with quinoa and a banana, it's a perfect mix of slow and fast carbs and gives me a short-term boost as well as stamina in the gym.

Right now, I don't have a particular goal, I've found in the past few years that when I set goals and don't achieve these, I tend to lose motivation. So for now I'm just going with the flow. Another issue I sometimes have is that I feel as if my physique is too slow to change, this is largely due to my tall and broad frame, 5 or even 10 kilos of muscle make less of difference on me than most and I have a really hard time looking properly fit. I tend more towards the bulky or "power fat" side, all this is simply due to the Square - Cube Law, but it annoys me (I mentioned this briefly in another, unrelated thread recently). My smaller friends always looked "better", but I was always stronger overall (but not relative to my weight though).

Around the Network

Ever since I moved cities, I have been unable to go to the gym due to coronavirus. If I did go, I would have to exercise with a mask on and die of heat stroke/ destroy a mask every time. I don't have any equipment, but I do have a bike. I bike to work every time, unless it is raining too hard, then I just walk. I haven't been able to weigh myself but at the end of my gym experience I was actually on an annoyingly downward trend of weight loss. I went from 90kg to 70kg. Lately I have been able to eat more and I feel like I have a good amount of weight gained, but I lost a lot of muscle.

At my job, I do get some small opportunities for a bit of exercise. I have taken that opportunity to do my favorite exercise: the Pull-up. Before I could do 20 consecutive quite easily, and I was surprised that I could still do 10 after 3 months of doing 0. In addition there are these poles that I like to climb like a rope. Currently I can climb up the pole using my legs, but I want to get strong enough to only need my arms. So that's the goal!

I'm 1.92m with a wide frame. A lot of my current weight is in my thighs due to all my walking and cycling. My current weight goal is only so that I have something palpable to aim for. My real goal is getting rid of my belly and moobs and if that means I end up above 100kg that's fine too. Since I've shed 15kg off my body I don't feel hindered by weight anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I'm 1.92m with a wide frame. A lot of my current weight is in my thighs due to all my walking and cycling. My current weight goal is only so that I have something palpable to aim for. My real goal is getting rid of my belly and moobs and if that means I end up above 100kg that's fine too. Since I've shed 15kg off my body I don't feel hindered by weight anymore.

We seem to be built very similarily then! My waist tends to be wide, my Erector muscles grow really thick, I also have very large calves. Since my shoulders and chest are very wide, the waist will look more or less proportionate overall. Also; big legs are the shit! 100 kg's on a wide frame at our height isn't that much, I was 102 kilos at my lightest after surgery, I felt weird weighing that little. I've generally weighed above 100 kilos since age 14 (which is also when I stopped growing). At my heaviest, I was about 137 kilos, but also carried a considerable amount of muscle.

padib said:

@vivster, that was one of the best TED talks. Honestly though I was also surprised at how easy it was to change my diet the few times I did it. It's also surprising how similar your build seems to be to mummelman. I want to encourage you in your objectives because I have a similar thing with my abs and I finally see that it's possible with my new plan.

@Mummelmann. My approach to goals was always to use them as a springboard to increase my fitness, and I never let them discourage me, because then they work against me and I need them to work for me. I know that my mind works like almost everyone else, that it will tell me when I failed my goal, but I talk to it and tell it that the goals are there to help me, so I ignore that voice and listen to a new one that say "let's try again" or "let's change the goal!", because in the end I don't really want to reach my goals. In the end, I just want to get more in shape, and I use goals to help me do that. :) For example, in my card you'll see that I didn't achieve my running goal. That's okay because I also just added an abs workout goal, and I set it high for now (which I rarely do), but I'm ready to lower the frequency or intensity at any time. Because I really need the goals to propel me, and not hold me down. If you set a small goal, you never know it might help you build a good habit as you reach it. ;)

@Farsala, would you be able to obtain a scale to weight yourself, and do you have an approach to food? I did some pole-training in the past, it's very difficult. Do you use a high pole with a heavy base, or more of a pole between the floor and the ceiling?

I hear you, I always used to have goals and I reached most of them. But in later years, I find that I get annoyed when "life gets in the way", which it frequently does working the way I do. I rarely know if I'm going to get a good night's sleep nowadays. One thing I have learned though is to stop looking at what others are doing or succeeding in doing. When I was younger I tended to compare myself directly to others and their lifts and accomplishments. When I trained for strongman, I found myself agitated seeing other guys at the gym with what I deemed to be inferior genetics and lackluster focus both in training and diet achieve some pretty crazy results. Of course, I realized that most (if not all) of them were using chemical enhancement but that didn't help all that much and I sort of lost my will to push hard. This in conjunction with an unknown virus infection that sent me reeling for almost 9 months was the end of my all-out training many years ago. I was simply disillusioned when faced with the reality that I would never be able to compete with guys who were willing to inject or ingest pharmaceutical aid and I saw no purpose with my training. It didn't help that I got pulled into a massive PED roll-up on three separate fronts (fucked up luck), affecting both my workplace, gym and even my own apartment and living situation (PS: I didn't do anything illegal, just so that's clear).

Since then, I've been on and off for years, sometimes finding motivation only to lose it after a few months and revert to a less healthy lifestyle. Now, being older and wiser, I find that the health benefits and rewards of training alone are easily worth it once I get going, and it works wonders for my sleep cycles and overall mood. I do have a goal in mind, but no time-frame in which to place it since I can't know what's realistic for me now. It revolves around reaching my old strength peak (and beyond) at a much lower bodyweight. I know it will take time, but not how much. When I trained years ago my strength exploded when I found what worked for me (I added about 20-30 kilos to my Squat, Deadlift, and Bench in only 16 weeks at one point, despite being somewhat being at least intermediately trained at the beginning of the 16-week period). My genes seem to be good, and I have both the time and means, but my discipline always fails me. I guess my short-term goal should be maintaining discipline.

shikamaru317 said:

I am 6'3" and about 290 pounds currently. My goal is to lose about 120 pounds of fat, then add on about 20 pounds of muscle. I have lost over 100 pounds before, so I know I can do it, I just stupidly let that weight come back over the last few years by not exercising enough nor eating right. The harder part is going to be putting on the muscle for me. I've tried in the past to put on muscle, but didn't have much luck. Daily workouts targeting different muscle groups with whey protein shakes after each workout, but while I got stronger, I never really got bigger. 

Because you were not eating enough. Just working out and Protien shakes will not do it. Food regiment is the leading factor in building muscle (80/20 splitt with 80 being food being 80). Everybody has something called a maintenance calories, the amount you can eat per week and gain or lose any weight. If you want to build muscle you must eat over maintenance while having your body in a anabolic state(that is what working out is for) with a focus on eating hitting your macros.

I will post something later that will help everybody find their Maintenance/Macros and you can add or subtract depending on goal