Forums - General Discussion - The Nintendo Switch has now more games than the Xbox One

curl-6 said:

For those talking quality standards, it's not like bad games are a Switch exclusive commodity.

This myth has been going on since the Wii/DS era to try and win a rhetorical victory based on opinion in the face of getting smashed by both of the Nintendo consoles, who took #1 and #2 positions based on the fact of superior hardware and software sales. Another fact of that generation is that it was the most successful in the history of dedicated gaming devices, and Nintendo took home gold and silver. Yet another fact is that Nintendo offered new ways to play classic games as well as provided new avenues to explore new types of games on both Wii and DS... basically, Nintendo won because people were more interested in creative experiences rather than the same-old formulaic clones that were shovelled onto the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Does this mean my theory Microsoft has far more aggressive curation protocols is right?

It was Britain, it is America, tomorrow France and next year, the world... 

Warning: This poster has a very negative opinion of Sony and Nintendo, Idea Factory and companies Tecmo Koei, EA, BioWare, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Kadokawa and Sega. If you have very positive views of these and a negative view of Microsoft or Bethesda Game Studios, AVOID ENGAGEMENT AT ALL COSTS! 

curl-6 said:
    JRPGfan said:

tell you what, if you find out that the PS4 has like 500-1000 mobile games,
    go ahead and post a spreadsheet doc, listing all the games, like i just did above.

Has someone actually documented the number of shovelware games on PS4 though?

If there's no such list, that is not evidence that shovelware isn't abundant on PS4, simply that nobody has sat down and counted it. 

Clearly there's no shortage of it.

Successful systems always get a ton of shovelware, Switch isn't at all unique in this regard.

But just as clearly, the fact that you hear nintendo fans complain about it, and actually sit down and count, how many mobile games their system has.... also says something? right?

Which you ignore by way of going "all systems has it", while ignoreing the fact that the Switch obviously as much more of it (hence the fan backlash and people makeing lists counting the amount of mobile games their system has gotten).

To be fair, I did try and google information about amounts of shovelware, on PS4, and about mobile games on PS4.
    You know what I found? nothing.  Obviously this doesnt mean the PS4 doesnt have some amount of shovelware, or perphaps mobile games.
    However the vast majority dont care, likely because its a tiny amount.

The same obviously isnt true for the Switch.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 07 July 2020

95% or even higher of these numbers is trash anyway. Quality is what matters.

JRPGfan said:
    curl-6 said:

Has someone actually documented the number of shovelware games on PS4 though?

If there's no such list, that is not evidence that shovelware isn't abundant on PS4, simply that nobody has sat down and counted it. 

Clearly there's no shortage of it.

Successful systems always get a ton of shovelware, Switch isn't at all unique in this regard.

But just as clearly, the fact that you hear nintendo fans complain about it, and actually sit down and count, how many mobile games their system has.... also says something? right?

Which you ignore by way of going "all systems has it", while ignoreing the fact that the Switch obviously as much more of it (hence the fan backlash and people makeing lists counting the amount of mobile games their system has gotten).

To be fair, I did try and google information about amounts of shovelware, on PS4, and about mobile games on PS4.
    You know what I found? nothing.  Obviously this doesnt mean the PS4 doesnt have some amount of shovelware, or perphaps mobile games.
    However the vast majority dont care, likely because its a tiny amount.

The same obviously isnt true for the Switch.

We cannot conclude that the Switch has more of it without quantifying the amount on PS4.

The fact that there's more coverage of it on Switch isn't proof there's significantly more (much less 10 or 100 times more as you suggested) just that more effort has been put into documenting it there.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Pretty sure the PS4 has more games than that.
    Also the PS3 and 360 too.

curl-6 said:

We cannot conclude that the Switch has more of it without quantifying the amount on PS4.

The fact that there's more coverage of it on Switch isn't proof there's significantly more (much less 10 or 100 times more as you suggested) just that more effort has been put into documenting it there.

Well, the Switch has a lot more games under $5 than PS4... these low prices are indicators of mobile ports / shovelware... not 10 or 100 times more, but probably 2 - 3 times more:

Nintendo = Software
    Microsoft = Hardware. Well, kind of... Sort of. Actually... Not really at that.

Doesn't matter. Nintendo wins.

Conina said:
    curl-6 said:

Well, the Switch has a lot more games under $5 than PS4... these low prices are indicators of mobile ports / shovelware... not 10 or 100 times more, but probably 2 - 3 times more:

Switch almost certainly has more mobile ports, yes, but a mobile port isn't necessarily a bad game, and a lot of the really terrible games on the PS Store that Jim highlighted in his video were made that much more offensive for costing $10 or more. 

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The switch is a huge success, that’s no doubt. And it’s basically because of its design (hybrid) and most importantly, it’s first party software, which carries more than 50-60% of software sales.

But third party sales for most games are low, do the switch have any third party game (excluding mobile ports and free games) that crossed the 5 million mark aside of maybe Minecraft and possible just dance.