By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important are first party games to a console?

Nearly half of the 70+ games i own on ps4 are exclusives and 9/10 of my switch's games. So it shows how important it is for me.

Around the Network

1st party exclusives are important, but not usually my taste. 3rd Party Exclusives tend to be more my taste, and thus more important to me.

Very important, but it kinda depends on how good they are and how many people are interested in them.

No 1st party exclusives then no point jumping on board

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

As far as I’m concerned those are the only things that are important at all.

Around the Network

Well, I almost only play Playstation and Nintendo first party games. They are always the decider for me if I buy a system or not. This generation I did not buy a PS4 since it only got 4 games that I'm interested in, all of them first party titles. I will play them on the PS5 instead.

I think first party titles are important in the sense that they are built with a specific system in mind. Taking advantage of that systems capabilities while ignoring any requirements on other systems that could hold the game back.

For a console? Very important!

For stadia? Not important in the slightest.

Which is this thread actually about? Consoles need 1st party games to encourage people to buy that console. Stadia is effectively just a storefront, so it needs 1st party games just as much as Gamestop needs them.

Gaming is about games.  Google has not yet acknowledged this yet, and seems to think they can get by with their new tech alone.  I don't know how many platforms I've seem come and go over the years with impressive tech.  For example, the Neo Geo had the most impressive tech for generation 4, but it's games were not nearly as good as Nintendo's or Sega's games.  Games matter.  Tech doesn't matter (not really).  Tech only matters if it allows you to play better games, or different games, or get a better value out of playing games.  But even if a platform offers a better value, it still needs it's own unique games.

Here is the thing about Stadia.  The tech is so innovative, that they actually could develop some new types of games for it, but they haven't done it yet.  Battle Royale and MMOs are streaming oriented games.  If they came out with the greatest Battle Royale or MMO ever, then all of the sudden people would be playing Stadia.  They have the tech that could enable some mindblowing games, but they still have to actually make the games.  Gaming is about games.

For me single party is the most important thing in the platform, have been the games I liked most on PS3 and PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
For a console? Very important!

For stadia? Not important in the slightest.

Which is this thread actually about? Consoles need 1st party games to encourage people to buy that console. Stadia is effectively just a storefront, so it needs 1st party games just as much as Gamestop needs them.

Stadia is a Streaming platform. Billed as an answer to PlayStation and Xbox by Google. If Google wants Stadia to have any longevity, or be taken seriously by consumers, it needs first party games, there's no way around it.