By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important are first party games to a console?

TheMisterManGuy said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You don't have to buy Google's servers though. You just get to use them.

Let's put it this way, if PlayStation has one of the most popular games of all time as an exclusive people buy a PlayStation to play it. Since they've then spent out on a PlayStation they'll get other games on it too. If Stadia has one of the most popular games people will play that on Stadia. They'll still have Steam etc. installed on their desktop which they'll use for other games though.

But nobody's using Stadia, that's the problem. Even after the service became free to use, nobody's buying anything on it. That's why it needs first party games, something you can only get on Stadia.

Stadia isn't a store, it's a platform because its running on its own hardware with its own services and features. 

They're not using it because they think the service and/or prices are shit. Games aren't going to change that. Like I said, you might get people to play 1 amazing game on Stadia, but if they still think it's shit then they'll only play that 1 game and use other services for all of their games still.

Steam runs on its own hardware and has its own services and features. Still just a store.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

They're not using it because they think the service and/or prices are shit. Games aren't going to change that. Like I said, you might get people to play 1 amazing game on Stadia, but if they still think it's shit then they'll only play that 1 game and use other services for all of their games still.

Steam runs on its own hardware and has its own services and features. Still just a store.

Steam is a service where you download PC games and run them on your own PC Hardware. Stadia isn't like that. The games are running on Google's own hardware, and streamed to the user like a YouTube video. It's very different. 

ZS said:
Take away first party from all the big three, how well would the 3 current consoles be selling? Sony and Microsoft will be doing just fine but Nintendo, who relies heavily on their first party games, won’t do well as their third party support hasn’t been great over previous gens.

Now, put back in first party and take third party away, Nintendo and Sony will do just fine, but Microsoft, wouldn’t do as well as their first party support hasn’t been great this gen compared to previous gens.

It’s like Sony is a balanced seesaw of first and third party support while the other two leans all the way on each end. Sony’s mastered the art of gaming for everyone.

Hopefully the series x and Microsoft’s acquisitions helps boost Xbox’s first party support next gen.
Xbox needs games that make people go, oooh I’m interested in this game, I’ll get an Xbox, not oooh, I’m interested in this game, I’ll get it on PC even though it’s also on Xbox. (it’s a win win for Microsoft but a win lose for Xbox)
I believe that Xbox could be around 60-65m if their games stayed full exclusive or released on pc a couple years after each game launch.

Sony would struggle to sell 25 million units if you took their third party games away, don't kid yourself. No COD, no GTA, no Final Fantasy, no NBA 2K, no FIFA, no Madden, no Red Dead = game over. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Steam is a service where you download PC games and run them on your own PC Hardware. Stadia isn't like that. The games are running on Google's own hardware, and streamed to the user like a YouTube video. It's very different. 

It's different, yes. But it's more like Steam than it is PS/Xbox which you're trying to compare it to.

Ka-pi96 said:

It's different, yes. But it's more like Steam than it is PS/Xbox which you're trying to compare it to.

The only similarities is that its free to use and let's you use different controllers. Otherwise, it's more akin to PS and Xbox than Steam. Steam is also technically a platform. But it requires a PC to download and run games. Stadia let's you use any tablet, phone, or Chromecast to play games. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The only similarities is that its free to use and let's you use different controllers. Otherwise, it's more akin to PS and Xbox than Steam. Steam is also technically a platform. But it requires a PC to download and run games. Stadia let's you use any tablet, phone, or Chromecast to play games. 

How on earth is it more like PS/Xbox than it is Steam?

That's like saying Spotify (Stadia) is more like buying a CD player (consoles) than it's like iTunes (Steam). It just... isn't.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 03 July 2020

Ka-pi96 said:

That's like saying Spotify (Stadia) is more like buying a CD player (consoles) than it's like iTunes (Steam). It just... isn't.

Because the games are running on Google's own hardware, not a PC.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And? I asked how it's more similar to PS/Xbox than Steam. And the exact same thing is also true when comparing it to consoles so how about an actual reason?

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 03 July 2020

Soundwave said:
ZS said:
Take away first party from all the big three, how well would the 3 current consoles be selling? Sony and Microsoft will be doing just fine but Nintendo, who relies heavily on their first party games, won’t do well as their third party support hasn’t been great over previous gens.

Now, put back in first party and take third party away, Nintendo and Sony will do just fine, but Microsoft, wouldn’t do as well as their first party support hasn’t been great this gen compared to previous gens.

It’s like Sony is a balanced seesaw of first and third party support while the other two leans all the way on each end. Sony’s mastered the art of gaming for everyone.

Hopefully the series x and Microsoft’s acquisitions helps boost Xbox’s first party support next gen.
Xbox needs games that make people go, oooh I’m interested in this game, I’ll get an Xbox, not oooh, I’m interested in this game, I’ll get it on PC even though it’s also on Xbox. (it’s a win win for Microsoft but a win lose for Xbox)
I believe that Xbox could be around 60-65m if their games stayed full exclusive or released on pc a couple years after each game launch.

Sony would struggle to sell 25 million units if you took their third party games away, don't kid yourself. No COD, no GTA, no Final Fantasy, no NBA 2K, no FIFA, no Madden, no Red Dead = game over. 

Nintendo would come out on top i think if you would take all third party games from all consoles.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Spotfy is running on that companies servers, e-mails are running on companies servers, etc. That would be wrong way to say stadia is similar to PS or Xbox.

I myself would say it is closer to PS and Xbox because it have its own exclusives, its own studios, etc, but really it also have a lot in common just with a storefront.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."