Forums - Gaming Discussion - Panned Games that you loved?

Leynos said:
JWeinCom said:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Seriously though, perhaps if you're really into that type of game, you're not the target audience. I haven't played many games like that, but even so it definitely felt like they were aiming this towards newcomers to the genre.

But I am into them why I mentioned Valkyria Chronicles. You should play the VC series they are truly excellent. 4 is probably the best in the series. It's on about every platform. PC. Switch. PS4. Xbox.

You misunderstood me.  People who are really into a certain genre may not like games meant for people who are beginners in that genre.  The type of person who mastered something liek Super Meat Boy may find that Kirby's Epic Yarn isn't quite challenging enough.

Around the Network

mighty no 9. maybe it’s because i played it long after it’s release after the patches (maybe two years or so) but i thought it was a very good game.

definitely a worthy addition to the mega man genre imo. i enjoyed the fast-paced nature of the game with the dashing mechanic.

the music could have been better (i enjoyed the 8bit remixes in mighty gunvolt burst much more), but i didn’t find the level design or bosses to be poorly developed like some say.

a solid 8/10 for me.

Can't recall anyone, I don't play games that are received or are perceived negatively. Not because I actively want so but because I simply don't get interested in them in time.

Kirby Air Ride. I remember when it came out, it got like 3s and 4s in most major magazines. Have played probably 500 hours of over the years.

Assassin's Creed Unity and Gears of War 4

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
Kirby Air Ride. I remember when it came out, it got like 3s and 4s in most major magazines. Have played probably 500 hours of over the years.

same here. spent dozens of hours playing that game with my brother and cousins. only found out later the game reviewed so badly.

i’d love to see a more complex sequel with more ship customization, maps, mini games, etc. online would be cool too. too bad it will never happen.

Oh right, people mentioned Metroid: Other M, Turok Evolution and Final Fantasy XIII, I agree with all of them.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Driv3r and watch dogs comes to mind

Yea, Kirby Air Ride is another really good one, City Trial is the greatest mode to be ever designed for a racing game.

sundin13 said:
Code Name: STEAM (3DS) was a game that got pretty meh reviews and I think people forgot about it before it was even released, but it was actually a lot of fun. It wasn't perfect, but the gameplay was simple and satisfying and the story was ridiculous enough to keep me interested. Also, I got it for, like, $5 so that probably helped.

Came here to say the same thing. It seemed like a lot of critics just actively hated the game for some reason, but it's an immensely satisfying mix of strategy/shooter, and with the steam mechanic and crazy characters, it feels to me like a more unique and awesome X-Com. I'm also a huge fan of the comic book art style. I had an absolute blast with it both times I played through the game, and look forward to revisiting it eventually too.

It's honestly such a shame that it did as badly as it did, I would love a sequel and it almost assuredly won't ever happen.