By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What controller innovations do you want to see in the future?

Game Controllers are always evolving. Going from a Joystick and a Single button of the days of the Atari 2600, to complex devices with a wide array of buttons, analog sticks, triggers, motion sensors, touch inputs, feedback motors, and video/screenshot sharing features.

But what comes next? What kind of technology or feature do you think, should be explored by controllers in the future, allowing for new kinds of input and immersion? Prior to the Switch, Nintendo patented a controller that swapped the L and R buttons with Clickable, analog scroll wheels.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-18-nintendo-patents-controller-with-shoulder-scroll-wheels

I actually think this would be a simple and welcome addition to controllers, especially when using things like a Sniper Rifle in shooters. Being able to move the wheel to zoom in on a target, combined with precise gyro aim would be killer.

Another radical idea for a new controller feature (and I don't know if the tech for this is available yet) but what if a controller can change it's weight? Like the device physically feeling lighter, or heavier depending on in game actions, as well as shift that weight to different locations on the controller.

For example, say you're carrying something in a game, like heavy boulder. The Controller can adjust its physical weight to make it heavier, creating the sensation that you're carrying a massive, heavy object. Or, you're in a racing game, and when you steer a car, the controller can shift its weight in different areas, creating a sense of resistance and friction like a real steering wheel. This combined with current HD haptics, would be a goldmine for Immersion I feel.

Around the Network

I don't think it would be possible for a controller to adjust it's weight. You'd literally have to be adding and removing matter for this to be possible, and the logistics of this would be very problematic to put it mildly.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I don't feel the need for any more "innovation" I just want back buttons as an added feature as standard. Tho If I were to add anything...eh I dunno maybe adaptive analog sticks.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

A controller changing its weight would be cool, but unless it was like attached to a cable, that would defy the laws of physics.

Something that might be cool along those lines would be joysticks your buttons that offer resistance. For instance a you hold down R to pull a bow string taught, but it pushes back against you the tighter the string is. That seems more possible although possibly prohibitively expensive.

JWeinCom said:
A controller changing its weight would be cool, but unless it was like attached to a cable, that would defy the laws of physics.

Something that might be cool along those lines would be joysticks your buttons that offer resistance. For instance a you hold down R to pull a bow string taught, but it pushes back against you the tighter the string is. That seems more possible although possibly prohibitively expensive.

Dual Sense is doing that with the triggers. I don't think it will last long. Something like that has the potential to be another touchpad or even the PS2 pressure buttons that no one used and Sony abandoned when PS3 released.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

You just described exactly what the PS5 controller will be doing.

As far as the weight shifting goes, something with high density liquids could be used to transfer weight across the controller. Could be something interesting in both Gamepads, and VR Controllers, and shouldn't be impossible with materials available today. Maybe this will be a new addition for the PS6's TriSense Controller.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

None. Just make it comfortable and keep motion control features to the bare minimum.

Back buttons.

That's about it. I can't think of much more, because it would muddle what doesn't need muddling.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

COKTOE said:
I don't think it would be possible for a controller to adjust it's weight. You'd literally have to be adding and removing matter for this to be possible, and the logistics of this would be very problematic to put it mildly.

if we could do that... game controllers wouldnt not be the priority for that tech! LOL

Add vita's rear touchpad to the switch's joycon. Best controller ever.