By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First console you bought for yourself, and why you chose it

okr said:
GameCube was the first console I bought after being a PC-only gamer throughout the 90s (THE decade for two of my most favorite genres, point & click adventures and RTS).

I was curious to play "typical console" games and started with Wave Race Blue Storm, Burnout, Beach Spikers and Star Fox Adventures.

Shout out to Beach Spikers! That game was pure joy to play. 

Around the Network

My first actual console was a 3Ds back in 2011. I begged my parents to buy me a DsiXL for a some time but on December 2011 they decided to grand me my wish!
We went to a store and they didn't have a Dsi XL but they had a black 3Ds that they told us could play both 3Ds games and Ds games so they bought it for me.
I wanted to play New Super Mario Bros that all my friends had and I liked very much! Ever since I got many games and consoles but I will never forget how it all started.
I will also never forget that my brother opened and used my 3Ds because he was smaller and he would cry if I didn't let him. Later he got his own 3Ds.
Now both are broken but we still love them!

First few consoles were all gifts. My first purchase myself was Gamecube for Zelda Wind Waker, a great game but I didn't really buy any other games, so kinda of a waste of money.

Last edited by The Fury - on 27 June 2020

Hmm, pie.

We didn't choose. Two friends and me put our money together and bought both PS1 + N64.

Both consoles were rotating between our three homes until eventually both ended in my household when my friends lost interest in console gaming.

It was the PS3 80GB model in September 2009 when i was 20 years old.

Chose it out of loyalty cause i had a PS2 Slim and PS1 before it and also because of Blu-ray, Sony exclusives and how sexy the console design looked for me.

Around the Network

PS4. 19 when I bought it. Bought it cause it was the obvious choice.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

My mom refused to buy me an SNES so had to save up money and do it on my own. It was the Zelda: Link to the Past bundle, been hooked on the Zelda series ever since.

Last edited by PortisheadBiscuit - on 27 June 2020

For me it was the PS1 back in August 1999. I remember saving from my allowence and birthday gifts, roughly 80% was paid in coins (poor counter lady). I chose the PS1 manly due to two reasons, because it was the "cool" system back then, and because my cousin also had one and had a lot of games, which I obviously borrowed. Playing FF 7 and 9, RE2, GT2 and, most important, MGS was absolutely fantastic!

Either NES or Gamecube.

I told my dad to pay for the NES even though the SNES was out already because my stepsister had some games for it and I wanted to play those again (and when my mother asked me a couple weeks later (my parents are divorced), I chose the Sega Master System. Really miss that one btw, especially Golden Axe Warrior...). So yeah, I bought it, but not with my money, so not sure if it counts.

The Gamecube on the other hand, I went out to buy myself with my mother in tow for the groceries. Later on she liked it too due to the Game Boy Player, so she could play Tetris on the TV screen.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 27 June 2020

A 3DS XL in 2013 for my birthday, I skipped the 7th generation and I came back to gaming with the 3DS.

I know... my English sucks.