Forums - Gaming Discussion - First console you bought for yourself, and why you chose it

Super Nintendo first system I bought but used, Playstation first system I bought new. We had a family Nintendo I had to share with my brother and sister growing up but by the time Super Nintendo came out we all had different things we wanted so we never agreed to get a group gift to have a family Super Nintendo and it was more money then my parents was willing to spend on a Birthday/Hannakah gift for just one of us.

After it already been out for awhile I knew someone willing to sell me his SNES and I could choose any 3 games he owned for $50 (I chose Final Fantasy 6,Final Fantasy 4 and Secret of Mana). I was only 12 at the time and $50 was basically every penny I owned but I made the deal.

I got into JRPG from dragon quest and Final Fantasy from the Nintendo but really fell in love with the SNES so it was just one year after getting the SNES that I paid full price for a new system for the first time and got a PlayStation because Final Fantasy was going to be on it instead of the NES 64. I was Bar mitzvah when I was 13 and had enough money saved from that to buy it brand new.

Around the Network

NES because, in 1988 Nintendo dominated the minds of every kid I knew. Atari was fun enough but Nintendo just seemed like something else entirely.

After I played that demo machine with ten NES games, it was all I wanted that Christmas.

*Edit* read the title wrong. First one I spent my own money on was the N64. I only cared about playing games on Nintendo consoles and that was the console on the market when I had my own money. 

Last edited by d21lewis - 6 days ago

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

GameCube was the first console I bought after being a PC-only gamer throughout the 90s (THE decade for two of my most favorite genres, point & click adventures and RTS).

I was curious to play "typical console" games and started with Wave Race Blue Storm, Burnout, Beach Spikers and Star Fox Adventures.

Mine would actually be the Wii U in May 2015; the reason being that for the past year I was seeing games like Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and the like on it and hearing good stuff about them that I wanted to give it a shot. Plus I was off gaming for like a good three years (was watching and hearing playthroughs and news but not playing games) at that point so I was hungry to get back in.

Plus, there was a great offer for the console; it cost £180 for a Windwaker HD version of the console, plus five games and a £20 voucher. The games were, Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games (Wii U), FIFA 13 (Wii U), Metroid: Other M and Wii Quiz Party, which were sold off as I was kinda tight on cash at the time (but not before playing a bit of two of the games). I knew of the shortcomings and problems the console had, and I was even aware of the fact that I heard there was a another console (which would become the Switch) looming, but I was happy with it nonetheless and it was a brilliant pick-me-up to get me back into this hobby.

okr said:
GameCube was the first console I bought after being a PC-only gamer throughout the 90s (THE decade for two of my most favorite genres, point & click adventures and RTS).

I was curious to play "typical console" games and started with Wave Race Blue Storm, Burnout, Beach Spikers and Star Fox Adventures.

Shout out to Beach Spikers! That game was pure joy to play. 

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Around the Network

My first actual console was a 3Ds back in 2011. I begged my parents to buy me a DsiXL for a some time but on December 2011 they decided to grand me my wish!
We went to a store and they didn't have a Dsi XL but they had a black 3Ds that they told us could play both 3Ds games and Ds games so they bought it for me.
I wanted to play New Super Mario Bros that all my friends had and I liked very much! Ever since I got many games and consoles but I will never forget how it all started.
I will also never forget that my brother opened and used my 3Ds because he was smaller and he would cry if I didn't let him. Later he got his own 3Ds.
Now both are broken but we still love them!

curl-6 said:

For me, it was the Gamecube; the reason was that I was raised with an SNES then an N64, cementing me as a huge fan of Nintendo's games

Looking at it from this perspective, my first console purchase may look strange.
Because I grew up playing NES, SNES and N64. Though it was during the N64 era that I started feeling like I was missing out on a lot of games from genres that I loved on SNES. 

All kinds of Jrpgs and fighting games mainly. It was like the PS1 was the successor to SNES for third party games.
So having an N64 I had to play those PS1 games when I was at my friends place.

So when PS2 came out, I bought it myself. And I caught up on a lot of games I had missed out on from PS1 with the backwards compatibility.

Last edited by Hiku - 6 days ago

PS1 because of Digimon World.

First few consoles were all gifts. My first purchase myself was Gamecube for Zelda Wind Waker, a great game but I didn't really buy any other games, so kinda of a waste of money.

Last edited by The Fury - 6 days ago

Hmm, pie.

We didn't choose. Two friends and me put our money together and bought both PS1 + N64.

Both consoles were rotating between our three homes until eventually both ended in my household when my friends lost interest in console gaming.