By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First console you bought for yourself, and why you chose it

Dreamcast

I sold weed to buy my DC. I never thought much about that until now that I think of it.

Around the Network

I bought a SNES the week it launched.  I was in high school and had a job at the time, so I could buy it with my own money.  The most important thing to me though was Nintendo Power told me that the next Zelda game would be on the SNES.  So I bought it the first week even though Link to the Past wasn't released for about another year.  I devoured Super Mario World, and then I was disappointed because I realized that it didn't have many games.  I should have waited a few months until I bought it.  I told myself I would never buy a system at launch again.

I broke that rule with the Switch, and this time Zelda was a launch game.  I have no regrets with the Switch.  I guess the real lesson for me is to just wait until the killer app I want is released.

Nice. I get to post after Rocket.

Okay, handheld was Atari Lynx II. Cause I wanted portable color games. The library had many arcade type games which I also loved.

For console, Metroid Prime demo in Circuit City sold me on the GameCube.

After that, there was no turning back. ;)

Gamecube

Me motherfucking Lee

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hard to tell if this counts, I bought the PS3 with my brother. We were supposed to split it halfway, and of course this is the phat 60 GB BC version that was quite expensive. My brother never paid me back so I claimed full ownership.

I chose it because in the end it was cheaper than the XBOX 360 since PS online was free. FF Versus XIII was also announced for only PS3. I did eventually get 2 360s later, but it was hard to play on it without paying for full membership on XBL. All of my 7th gen consoles and PCs broke.

Around the Network

This is a fun topic :)

The first console I bought myself was GameCube. Previously, I received SNES and N64 as gifts.

I remember waffling about whether to buy it before launch, and then had to settle for a big bundle (since the base model had sold out).

mZuzek said:
kirby007 said:
same got that gamecube because it was cheap as fuck

Fuck is cheap?

Sometimes it is even free.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
mZuzek said:

Fuck is cheap?

Sometimes it is even free.

a gamecube is worth bout an hour, on the sleezy side of the spectrum

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Xbox 360 Elite at launch (April 2007) Nintendo guy up until that point then the Wii motion controls turned me off. The black look and 120 gb HD made this seem like the heavy duty Xbox meant to go against the PS3 (plus it was over $100 cheaper!) so I never considered to buy the launch models.

I had fond memories playing Halo over at my cousins and Gears of War looked too good to pass up. Bought Gears of War and Halo 1 and 2 to play via BC until Halo 3 came out. What a feeling 2007 was to be a Xbox gamer.

Last edited by sales2099 - on 27 June 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

PS2.... it was late into it, it was cheap.
Why the PS2? it had a pretty great library of games.